Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 6:40am

Post #1 of 214 (2304 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXII  

A couple of friendly reminders aka README!!!!!!!!
If you're new, or unsure, about posting, especially contributing Pretty!, please refer to
- the TORn guides on the "Welcome" board, or
- the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images" and the little PSA from the mods posts right here on the TA threads for quickie information.

It might just save you from getting zapped by Wrath of Mod.

And now back to your regularly scheduled ThranduilHeartAppreciation

.~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~.

Wow! We were on a record post-spurt, and went to town on TAXXXI. It was the fastest to threadtip (the honour of threadtip post goes to VValar but mention must be made, in no particular order, for the contributions of Cassie, Adrianna, BlackFox, mariel, arithmancer too), highest average posts/day, and thread with most posts since numero uno HeartHeartHeart Even our fairy modmother, dernwyn, got in on the fun with the threadlock. Was that dangerous living, or was that dangerous living, eh?

Rolling on!HeartCoolAngelic

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Source!Clicky, courtesy of On_the_partyelk)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar)
XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XXVI (Thread by Eruvandi) | XXVII (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XXVIII
XXIX (Threads by Eruvandi) | XXX (Thread by VValar) | XXXI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk)

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also"Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • Thud Cushions. Thrall kit staple, and safety precaution for the inevitability of super high thud occurrences. In-thread purveyed most-in-demand item, best paired with HTR alerts.
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"
  • Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
    (Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXXI
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 6:47am

Post #2 of 214 (2002 views)
    Shortcut
         Elf in uniform and working [In reply to]  

Just to start us off, since we so love Thranduil in his uniformAngelic

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXXII
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX | XXXI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Me85
    Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 6:58am

Post #3 of 214 (1877 views)
    Shortcut
         my gosh [In reply to]  

XXXII already? Cool

Holly Hobbit
    Bree

Jan 3 2015, 7:01am

Post #4 of 214 (1872 views)
    Shortcut
         Ooh, lovely pic! [In reply to]  

HeartHeartHeart SmileSmileSmile

Anyone already wishing for a Battle of the Last Alliance and a War in the North movie already? Wink I haven't had enough of this Elf yet! BOFTA made me want to see how he would handle the Battle of the Last Alliance and the War in the North as portrayed in the movies. And Lee Pace is simply fantastic!

Plus, if there was a prequel of Thranduil's story or The Battle of the Last Alliance, we might see more Bubba! Wink

I actually feel like Legolas (Hunt for Gollum) and Thranduil spin-offs are most likely given the ending of BOTFA. I really, really wish this, as I think movies about the Mirkwood Elves could be really neat. And the way I see it, LOTR is about the rise of the kingdom of Men, and the Hobbit is about the kingdom of the Dwarves, with Hobbits factoring into both stories. But what about getting to know the Elves better? It's their turn!

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Jan 3 2015, 7:06am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:07am

Post #5 of 214 (1841 views)
    Shortcut
         Responses to posts in XXXI [In reply to]  

@Eruvandi
    HTR Alert: I will see your gif of a robe flip...

In Reply To
    ...and raise you a gif with three in a row!Laugh

*THUD* Can't wait to see what VValar comes back withAngelic

He-he!

In Reply To
    I saw that one when you posted it on Tumblr and was wondering what the speech bubbles said. Lol!Laugh

Poor ol' Bubba. It is now officially part of my headcanon that he survived and they took good care of him in the war-elk infirmary!

And Thranduil will be there often to check in on Bubba too - and stressing/distractly the veterinarian team mightily while he's at itAngelic Do hope Bubba's got friends who visit with choice mosselsLaugh

Interesting interview!

In Reply To
    Who's Sheldon?AngelicTongue

*MASSIVE SNERT*

@Adrianna
    I think they towards the Shire
    Tee-hee! I hope they remember to make that turn when they get to BreeLaugh

@Cassie: just want to point you to this in case you missed it.Smile

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX | XXXI

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:10am

Post #6 of 214 (1982 views)
    Shortcut
         *MODS UP* [In reply to]  

At this juncture, I won't, can't reallyEvil, be picky. Anything with Thranduil... or even just Lee Pace* as anything pleaseAngelic But my vote still goes to WoLA... because Oropher! Though, who can they get to be Thranduil's dad? They can't keep topping themselves with the casting, can they?

*I can think of a number of roles in the Silm he could takeHeart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:14am

Post #7 of 214 (1901 views)
    Shortcut
         Side-effect of Elvenking-at-work [HTR] [In reply to]  

Angelic

(Clicky for GiF and even more THUDDERLY HTR)

=======

Holly Hobbit
    Bree

Jan 3 2015, 7:22am

Post #8 of 214 (1890 views)
    Shortcut
         For me, Lee Pace *is* Thranduil... [In reply to]  

Just as for me Benedict Cumberbatch *is* Sherlock, or Tom Hiddleston *is* Loki, or Martin Freeman *is* Bilbo. But I'm not familiar enough with the Silmarillion to know what other characters (Elves?) he could play.

And as for casting Oropher in WoLA (and this is just tossing out a name because I don't know his work outside Harry Potter), how about Jason Isaacs? I've always thought that Lucius Malfoy reminded me of an Elf with his long, blond hair. He could pass for Thranduil's dad. I'm trying to think of how similar their demeanors are, but it's been a while since I've read or watched any Harry Potter. Realistically, I don't know if Isaacs would want to be typecast into two famous characters who look similar, but it's the first thing I could think of. I think he would be good at playing an Elf.

This is all hypothetical (for now, anyway!) Laugh

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:23am

Post #9 of 214 (1864 views)
    Shortcut
         FLAST and some Daddy and Son "AWWW!" [In reply to]  

I went looking for that Leggy in Thranduil crown edit I mentioned. Didn't find it, but here's other stuff in place of itSmile

http://arucchin.tumblr.com/...be-family-and-now-we

http://reinebeamxxx.tumblr.com/...da-please-hold-me-12

Leggy portrait
    - VValar, Eruvandi. This one's for you, I think.

@Eruvandi - this one's surely for you.

=======

Holly Hobbit
    Bree

Jan 3 2015, 7:23am

Post #10 of 214 (1951 views)
    Shortcut
         Oh, my! *THUD* [In reply to]  

Laugh

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:28am

Post #11 of 214 (1825 views)
    Shortcut
         Lee Pace IS Thranduil... [In reply to]  

But if he doesn't want to reprise? Or they *GASP* don't want to make a film with Thranduil?

Ah... no please. Not Isaacs. I have enough grumps about the so-called X-over glee fandom seem to wallow in just cos of the long blond hair.Crazy

Silm: Annatar, Feanor, Maedhros, Turin (I'd say Hurin but perhaps Mr Pace wants a change of pace from daddy rolesAngelic), Ulmo... ... Oh, I don't know, just give every role to Lee Pace... except those that they've already cast Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:30am

Post #12 of 214 (1875 views)
    Shortcut
         Working Elvenking on break [In reply to]  

Laugh

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:33am

Post #13 of 214 (1852 views)
    Shortcut
         I guess this might be what a year-end party on the TH set looked like... [In reply to]  

with everyone in costumeSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:36am

Post #14 of 214 (1892 views)
    Shortcut
         Working Elvenking... after the shift's over [In reply to]  

Tongue

=======

Holly Hobbit
    Bree

Jan 3 2015, 7:44am

Post #15 of 214 (1851 views)
    Shortcut
         I see your point... [In reply to]  

At the same time, it's not just the blond hair that is making me think Isaacs would be a good fit... He was also good at making Lucius appear very haughty (just YouTubed Lucius!) Haughtiness might be good trait for portraying an Elvenking who will not be dissuaded from going into an (ultimately devastating for the Elves) war... Somehow Isaacs just strikes me as a good potential Elf...

Anyway, I challenge New Line/Warner Bros. to think of someone who can play Oropher!

(That may have been a new movie request...) Tongue

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Jan 3 2015, 7:46am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 7:51am

Post #16 of 214 (1832 views)
    Shortcut
         I think [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    I challenge New Line/Warner Bros. to think of someone who can play Oropher!

They may just be quaking in their boots nowLaugh

In Reply To
    At the same time, it's not just the blond hair that is making me think Isaacs would be a good fit... He was also good at making Lucius appear very haughty. Might be good trait for portraying an Elvenking who will not be dissuaded from going into an (ultimately devastating for the Elves) war...

I concede, with the confession that HP is not a franchise I pay attention to. So I'll do the shallow thing and say, sorry, but he doesn't quite have the looks though I don't think his acting talent is in question. Looks + Talent was an important touchpoint when PJ and his conspirators were looking for their Thranduil... PB's words were:
    "Thranduil was a very hard character to cast. Hes the father of Legolas, so hes got to be a fairly beautiful-looking Elf."

Quite the understatement of the millenia, imo, but yeah, I don't think casting the father of THIS Elf is going to be any cakewalk. Basically, Houston, I think we have a problemTongue

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jan 3 2015, 7:53am)

SunnyD
    Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 8:22am

Post #17 of 214 (1897 views)
    Shortcut
         How about... [In reply to]  

Daniel Day Lewis? He'll never do it, of course, but he has the looks and the acting chops, and the right build. (Though he may be a wee bit too old, if Oropher is supposed to look not much older than Thranduil.)

BTW, and please excuse the newbie question: are gifs treated like images in terms of filesize for posting?

(This post was edited by SunnyD on Jan 3 2015, 8:29am)

Me85
    Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 8:23am

Post #18 of 214 (1857 views)
    Shortcut
         oropher [In reply to]  

In Reply To

In Reply To
    I challenge New Line/Warner Bros. to think of someone who can play Oropher!

They may just be quaking in their boots nowLaugh

Someone more magnificent than Thranduil. Is that even possible??
    I'm not even kidding here...

(This post was edited by Me85 on Jan 3 2015, 8:24am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 8:27am

Post #19 of 214 (1820 views)
    Shortcut
         Yeah, he'd never do it [In reply to]  

But he'd work. Plus he's tall enough.

Also, it seems Lee Pace is a fan, so if that's not incentive to go blond and magnificent again, I don't know what is.

Good to dream eh?

Oh, check your PM Smile

=======

Me85
    Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 8:31am

Post #20 of 214 (1836 views)
    Shortcut
         uh... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    HeartHeartHeart SmileSmileSmile

Anyone already wishing for a Battle of the Last Alliance and a War in the North movie already? Wink

...YES......

....PLEASE....

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 8:32am

Post #21 of 214 (1832 views)
    Shortcut
         Gotta wonder, Me85 [In reply to]  

I'm trying to keep an open mind, because there was a time, a long time before even the TH movies were on the cards, I thought live-action Thranduil was nothing more than a pipe dream. I don't think it possible to get an Oropher to match the Thranduil we've got, but I'll give them the benefit of doubt here, just for the sporting spirit of it Smile

=======

Me85
    Rivendell

Jan 3 2015, 10:37am

Post #22 of 214 (1887 views)
    Shortcut
         Doug Jones as Thranduil [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    I'm trying to keep an open mind, because there was a time, a long time before even the TH movies were on the cards, I thought live-action Thranduil was nothing more than a pipe dream. I don't think it possible to get an Oropher to match the Thranduil we've got, but I'll give them the benefit of doubt here, just for the sporting spirit of it Smile

Is it true that Guillermo del Toro had cast Doug Jones as Thranduil? I think i read that somewhere. If so, i would not have liked that. He looks nothing like Legolas. So glad PJ went with Lee Pace! If PJ (and his team) is ever going to do another ME movie and cast Oropher, i wouldn't be too worried. I trust his casting. Any other director though... i would be worried.

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Jan 3 2015, 11:11am

Post #23 of 214 (1876 views)
    Shortcut
         More lash appreciation [HTR] [In reply to]  

Just to add to this, this, and follow-up from On_the_partyelk's post

(click pic to see the gif)

(Clicky for the full pic and assorted Joe Mac goodies)

(GiF!)

Aaaand, of course, the originalHeart

=======

VValar
    Gondor

Jan 3 2015, 11:28am

Post #24 of 214 (1802 views)
    Shortcut
         Congratulations for reaching over >250 post in TA 31 [In reply to]  

It's a good thing Dernwyn went away for a day otherwise this wouldn't have happend Cool

Ok just a quicky cause I don't have a lot of time at the moment. But I think we needed to celebrate the grand opening of XXXII in style.
    Lot's of THUDDING warnings my fellow Thralls, beware for the floor since it's hard and cold without the Elvenking to soften the fall.

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

mariel
    Lorien

Jan 3 2015, 12:17pm

Post #25 of 214 (1802 views)
    Shortcut
         Vendelina's latest [In reply to]  

clickies for source

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.