Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORn speaks with GDT

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 18 2008, 7:51am

Post #1 of 12 (2288 views)
Shortcut
TORn speaks with GDT Can't Post

TheOneRing.net reported here at the end of January that Guillermo del Toro was 99 percent sure to direct “The Hobbit”. Since then the Tolkien Estate filed a lawsuit against New Line Cinema (a copy of which can be found here) and the movie studio has been folded up and put in the pocket of its owner Warner Bros. and its bigger parent Time Warner Inc.

After all the speculation and angst, the director of two “Hellboy” films (the second set for a July 11 release) still seems to be the top choice for director and despite the legal fears, the quiet movements by the key players seem to suggest the film will still be made and sooner rather than later. So in this season of waiting, TORn was finally able to contact the fan-friendly director.

“At this stage anything I say is of no consequence for I am not yet signed to do “The Hobbit.” Negotiations advance but are still ongoing,” he said.

The Mexican born director is busy however researching not only the Hobbit but the greater Tolkien library.

“All I can say is that I am diligently going through all Tolkien material related to Middle-earth but only as a way of bridging a gap in my reading. I still respond the strongest to “The Hobbit,” but as an avid reader of Mythology I find a lot of his other writings fascinating. A perfect Cosmology forged from very eclectic sources,” he said.

He described himself as a bibliophile and his study of Tolkien's mythology fits in with his passion for myth.

“I bought my first book at age 4 and my last one, last week an original pamphlet edition of Calmet's (Augustine Calmet) dissertation on Ghosts and vampires from the 18th century.” The director embraces Internet communities and has his own at www.Deltorofilms.com where he participates and corresponds with fans.

“It is my belief that your community will be a joy to be a part of, whether I do “The Hobbit,” or not,” he said.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

(This post was edited by Kimi on Mar 18 2008, 8:41am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2008, 8:51am

Post #2 of 12 (981 views)
Shortcut
“It is my belief that your community will be a joy to be a part of..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah... he shows wonderful intelligence!

While the papers and conversations officially bringing him onboard haven't been finalized, the fact that he's pouring over Tolkien's works is thrilling! At first, I thought it would be because he's diligently preparing himself for the project of directing the 2 films; but on second thought, how could he NOT want to dive into the world of Middle-earth now that he's discovered it :)

Thanks for these encouraging words, MrCere! *twitch* I get nothing but good feelings about this collaboration, and I'll bet all my action figures there's going to be a flurry of resolutions all over the place and we'll see these films finally start moving forward very, very soon.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 18 2008, 8:51am)

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2008, 12:22pm

Post #3 of 12 (882 views)
Shortcut
Production diaries [In reply to] Can't Post

I mentioned this on another post, but I hope he and PJ send TORn some of those cool production diaries when the time comes.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2008, 2:01pm

Post #4 of 12 (860 views)
Shortcut
Oh... they Must!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those and the commentaries by the cast/crew/etc. are as much a part of the adventure as the film(s)!!!

Good call, deej :)

sample sample

_V_
Lorien

Mar 18 2008, 4:03pm

Post #5 of 12 (852 views)
Shortcut
I have been preparing an "ultimate guide to The Hobbit" discussion series [In reply to] Can't Post

basically a directed multi-part chat discussion based on my own....obsessively in-depth analysis about set design, costuming, concept art realization, directional choices, etc. etc.

I don't know about the Appendix movie yet but as they'll be shot simultaneously we should probably focus on that too

I"ll start this sometime next week (I'm headed to some scifi conventions this week)

Del Toro does seem to personally quite enjoy mythology himself, which is good;

As some sources have pointed out "Tolkien's Middle-earth has the most fully developed internal cosmology since Christianity"

(in terms of its depth, the extent to which he thought it out, the number of resources he drew on, actually coming up with fully realized languages, botany, and history for the world, and in the level of critical analysis which has followed the books in 50 years)

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

orcbane
Gondor

Mar 18 2008, 5:46pm

Post #6 of 12 (784 views)
Shortcut
Sounds pretty encouraging [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for passing on the contact MrCere. Digging into the all of the material (not just The Hobbit) is a very good start. It might not be absoluterly necessary but I like the idea of understanding and portraying The Hobbit as it relates to the whole. But if they do a second film it is essential, for then they will be trying to extend on Tolkiens directions. If they do not fully understand the directions......well, I don't want to think about that. Perhaps this delay will be of some unexpected benefit in allowing him this time to absorb it, but I do hope they can get to the signed stage soon.

An Ent juggling spikey things ?

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2008, 7:06pm

Post #7 of 12 (818 views)
Shortcut
Sounds encouraging [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, MrCere. I particularly like the sound of him wanting to be a part of our community. Cool

Awaroa Estuary, Abel Tasman National Park, January 2008

Awaroa

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 18 2008, 9:07pm

Post #8 of 12 (832 views)
Shortcut
Is Tolkien's cosmology more "developed" than Islam? [In reply to] Can't Post

As some sources have pointed out "Tolkien's Middle-earth has the most fully developed internal cosmology since Christianity".

(In terms of its depth, the extent to which he thought it out, the number of resources he drew on, actually coming up with fully-realized languages, botany, and history for the world, and in the level of critical analysis which has followed the books in 50 years.)

And aren't there lots of gaps in Tolkien's languages, botany and history?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 10-16 for "The Mirror of Galadriel".

_V_
Lorien

Mar 18 2008, 9:35pm

Post #9 of 12 (847 views)
Shortcut
give him a break [In reply to] Can't Post

give the guy a break, he spent SIXTY YEARS writing this stuff, SINGLEHANDEDLY. The Elvish languages are very well developed for languages created entirely by one man, and so what we we're not so sure on Khuzdul and such?

Alright, the languages he developed sufficiently are basically Quenya and Sindarin, but still; he did this on his own.

And he thought up a LOT of history.

"Star Wars" might be more well thoroughtly thought out but it's Expanded Universe is being collaboratively written by dozens of people.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 18 2008, 9:48pm

Post #10 of 12 (799 views)
Shortcut
Of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel Tolkien's achievement is very impressive; I just questioned your term "fully realized". Take the languages for instance, whose limitations have been summarized briefly by squire here and considered at much more length by Carl Hostetter here.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 10-16 for "The Mirror of Galadriel".

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 19 2008, 4:05pm

Post #11 of 12 (781 views)
Shortcut
Clearly he's a man of taste and intelligence... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that we're all suckers for flattery, of course! Wink

But, joking apart, my respect for GDT is growing every time I read about an interview with him. Not that the respect was lacking to begin with - I just didn't really know much about him, apart from the few films I had seen. He seems like a smart and artistic individual and I'm sure any film he makes would be made with care and attention. Whether we all love his choices (IF he does make TH) remains to be seen, of course - but hey, you can't please all of the people all of the time... My appetite to see his Hobbit is definitely whetted!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19 2008, 4:43pm

Post #12 of 12 (771 views)
Shortcut
There's no way [In reply to] Can't Post

EVERYONE is going to be satisfied with this project, the same as with the results of LotR. I'm sure my own disappointment is, first and foremost, going to be because there aren't 3 films ;)

These are exciting times... and I can't WAIT to buy my first ticket ;)

sample sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.