Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORn speaks with GDT

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 18 2008, 7:51am

Views: 2203
Shortcut
TORn speaks with GDT Can't Post

TheOneRing.net reported here at the end of January that Guillermo del Toro was 99 percent sure to direct “The Hobbit”. Since then the Tolkien Estate filed a lawsuit against New Line Cinema (a copy of which can be found here) and the movie studio has been folded up and put in the pocket of its owner Warner Bros. and its bigger parent Time Warner Inc.

After all the speculation and angst, the director of two “Hellboy” films (the second set for a July 11 release) still seems to be the top choice for director and despite the legal fears, the quiet movements by the key players seem to suggest the film will still be made and sooner rather than later. So in this season of waiting, TORn was finally able to contact the fan-friendly director.

“At this stage anything I say is of no consequence for I am not yet signed to do “The Hobbit.” Negotiations advance but are still ongoing,” he said.

The Mexican born director is busy however researching not only the Hobbit but the greater Tolkien library.

“All I can say is that I am diligently going through all Tolkien material related to Middle-earth but only as a way of bridging a gap in my reading. I still respond the strongest to “The Hobbit,” but as an avid reader of Mythology I find a lot of his other writings fascinating. A perfect Cosmology forged from very eclectic sources,” he said.

He described himself as a bibliophile and his study of Tolkien's mythology fits in with his passion for myth.

“I bought my first book at age 4 and my last one, last week an original pamphlet edition of Calmet's (Augustine Calmet) dissertation on Ghosts and vampires from the 18th century.” The director embraces Internet communities and has his own at www.Deltorofilms.com where he participates and corresponds with fans.

“It is my belief that your community will be a joy to be a part of, whether I do “The Hobbit,” or not,” he said.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

(This post was edited by Kimi on Mar 18 2008, 8:41am)

Subject User Time
TORn speaks with GDT MrCere Send a private message to MrCere Mar 18 2008, 7:51am
    “It is my belief that your community will be a joy to be a part of..." grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 18 2008, 8:51am
        Production diaries deej Send a private message to deej Mar 18 2008, 12:22pm
            Oh... they Must!!! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 18 2008, 2:01pm
        Clearly he's a man of taste and intelligence... greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Mar 19 2008, 4:05pm
            There's no way grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 19 2008, 4:43pm
    I have been preparing an "ultimate guide to The Hobbit" discussion series _V_ Send a private message to _V_ Mar 18 2008, 4:03pm
        Is Tolkien's cosmology more "developed" than Islam? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 18 2008, 9:07pm
            give him a break _V_ Send a private message to _V_ Mar 18 2008, 9:35pm
                Of course. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 18 2008, 9:48pm
    Sounds pretty encouraging orcbane Mar 18 2008, 5:46pm
    Sounds encouraging Eledhwen Send a private message to Eledhwen Mar 18 2008, 7:06pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.