Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
The Arkenstone

Dreamspheres

Jan 1 2015, 7:11pm

Post #1 of 7 (1890 views)
Shortcut
The Arkenstone Can't Post

I have received various requests for an Arkenstone to be made as an egg-shape, similar to the one featured in the film. It seems that Peter Jackson decided that The Arkenstone should be an egg-shaped gem, fashioned by the dwarves. However, this is not strictly correct so please don't be misled by the computer graphics employed in the film. There is no indication in the original book that the Arkenstone was egg-shaped...it refers to it as being round.
The description is "It was a globe with a thousand facets; it shone like silver in the firelight, like water in the sun, like snow under the stars, like rain upon the Moon!"
I am not connected to Weta or any official merchandise outlet. I have been making Arkenstones/Dreamspheres for the past two years' and they are spherical. Spherical objects are capable of attracting light from all directions and are the most perfect form known to physics. The Arkenstone/Dreamsphere is completely transparent, no colours/dyes/pigments or metallic, yet they produce millions of pure colours which change with every turn.
They are perfectly polished on the outside and completely spherical....the facets are on THE INSIDE!, unlike the other facetted glass crystals offered as an Arkenstone.
I am the only person on Earth with the knowledge of their creation, so I offer you this information. If you have never seen one you might like to do a search for Dreamspheres and you will find them. There is a video on YT
Oh, there is more to this sphere than meets the eye...they seem to have other powers.
Hope you find that of interest.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 7:22pm

Post #2 of 7 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Oooooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty! Thanks for sharing! Now I want one! Angelic

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 7:26pm

Post #3 of 7 (1426 views)
Shortcut
What....interesting....descriptions [In reply to] Can't Post

"Microscopic nano-structures" sound fascinating, as does the process of "fracturing light at the molecular level".

Cassiopeia
Rivendell

Jan 1 2015, 7:56pm

Post #4 of 7 (1389 views)
Shortcut
A beautiful work of art [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish you great success. I had always imagined it as an ethereal type of opal.

Please call me, Cassie.

You started this... you will forgive me if I finish it!

J.R.R. Tolkien: In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king

Dreamspheres

Jan 1 2015, 8:27pm

Post #5 of 7 (1397 views)
Shortcut
Arkenstone video [In reply to] Can't Post

I am new here, as you might have guessed, so I am going to ask a question....am I allowed to post YT links here, so others can see the video?
These are hard to imagine, so the video helps a lot.

All good things

Cillendor
Lorien

Jan 2 2015, 4:10pm

Post #6 of 7 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Are these from the video or something? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dreamspheres' whole post seems… bizarre at best. But I want to know what "fracturing light at the molecular level" means.

Dreamspheres

Jan 2 2015, 8:50pm

Post #7 of 7 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Fracturing light... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I will agree that my post may seem a bit bizarre. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Light can be fractured by a geometric array of cells into the many different frequencies which occur in white light. Think of light as just another narrow band of electromagnetic energy, like radio waves. Tune to a different frequency and you get a different radio station. If the cells are arranged to correspond to the same frequency as a particular colour ( from about 450nm to 700nm ) then that colour is seen. The same principle exists in the wings of a butterfly which gives an array of iridescent colours without the use of dyes, pigments or colours. This is done at extremely small dimensions measured in nanometres. A human hair is about 75,000nm in diameter. The cells inside the Dreamsphere/Arkenstone are a few hundred nm apart.
Now imagine if you could have a number of facets inside a sphere, each one fracturing light at different frequencies....then refracting and reflecting that light many times over until a whole spectrum of structural colours are produced which change with every viewing angle. Search Goggle for the word dreamspheres and you will see what I mean. It is possible.
What has this got to do with The Hobbit? The Arkenstone! Peter Jackson obviously didn't have an Arkenstone to use in the film, but used CG to depict what he thought it should look like, but made it egg-shaped. It should be spherical for the best results, as described in the book. Tolkien was right.
Sorry if that was confusing. The video I was referring to was one of mine, not from the film. It merely demonstrates the effect of the Dreamsphere because this is a totally unique concept which has never been done before, and therefore difficult to imagine. Anything is possible if you know how.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.