Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXXI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 1 2015, 10:12am

Post #26 of 266 (1815 views)
Shortcut
     Happy New Year, Thralls! [In reply to]  

Wishing you all a thranduilful new year! Heart

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 1 2015, 11:17am

Post #27 of 266 (1782 views)
Shortcut
     Happy New Year from down under! [In reply to]  

It's the end of New Year's Day here in the land of Oz. I spent NY Eve at a fantastic chatty dinner party, then stayed over in guest bedroom. The words from that early U2 song rang true as I caught the train home early this morning. All is, indeed, quiet on New Year's Day.

A quick dinner party survey was that BotFA is a crowd-pleaser, from those who'd seen it. (and these are just movie-goers, not fans.)

Had a slightly disappointing start to the year, with an unwelcome discovery, which I won't go on about here. But to say, it is so nice to come here to the TA threads, where there are warm welcomes, interesting debates, we Thralls are pleasant to each other, and there's lots of Pretty to help me relax and take a breather from RL issues. Heart

And Lurker, massive kudos on collating the stats! Wow, those are the kind of spreadsheet I'd rather be looking at, than the one I'll be filling in at work tomorrow. Wink

I nearly spilt my wine thudding at the OP image. It looks like a shot we never actually saw, but is a frontal of from reaching to take the White Gems from the casket offered to him in the AUJ Prologue.

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 1 2015, 12:00pm

Post #28 of 266 (1770 views)
Shortcut
     Continuing the ramble... [In reply to]  

Ooh I do love a long rambling discussion, so was delighted to see your answers, Lurker and VValar. Thanks for those.

To this rely to your ‘rambling warning’ post Lurker, in the last thread: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=818518#818518
There may be little left to say on this, but yet another stream-of-consciousness ramble, while it’s in me. (because, y'know, it's so often not.)

You’ve made me think more deeply about Legolas’s “you’ll have to kill me first.” And yes it is just a saying, because he knows Thranduil would never kill him. We say the same things , eg “over my dead body,” and it’s not meant to be taken literally, but it displays how strongly we feel about something. (and wow, I only just thought about what ‘over my dead body’ implies, as an idiom – that *I* am prepared to fight to the death for what I believe in. I had always vaguely thought of it as meaning “not in my lifetime.” LOL, an Elf would never use that. OR maybe they would, and it would basically mean “never”.)

But because of the kinslaying, I also felt the depth of Legolas’s words because it’s possibly a tabu thing for Elves to say to each other. Or an extreme, portraying the extremity of his feelings on the matter. Actually Blush I’ve just realised I don’t know what Legolas is replying to there. Can anyone remember what Thranduil just said to Tauriel, after breaking her bow?

I’m remaining *in* the story in my thoughts above, but to step out and look at the film-making, your thoughts about the strength of filial ties makes utter sense, and indeed Elves are not like humans, yet the writers have humanised them for the tension of the story. Given this, Legolas's remark is out of character for an Elf. We can humanise his remark to take it more lightly - haven’t we all had words with our dads at some point? …. OR, we relate it to other known fictional stories, where family ties break over a love affair or political belief. Have the writers found a middle ground, considering an audience that is probably familiar with those great themes, and are for the most part probably unfamiliar with The Silm?
However, as you noted, VValar, there are other ways this could have played out. This could have been a chance to educate the non-fans on the true nature of what it is to be an Elf.

Just a side-note on Feanor and his sons:

And yet, his entire brood of seven, SEVEN sons, including the most pacifist of them all, Maglor, went along and supported him all the way, and beyond through to their very own unhappy ends.

The most poignant line for me being: “But Maedhros and Maglor would not hearken, and they prepared, although now with weariness and loathing, to attempt in despair the fulfilment of their oath…” Heart

I guess that's why I broke my own fan-fic writing truce and did that quickie fix-it, because I needed to restore canon-balance and continuity

Oh, I remember I did quickly read this but I’d like to read it again, and can’t find the post. Could you please link me? And thanks for your reply to my review a few days ago (in that thread). I didn’t reply there, coz it feels like it’s not so much a thread for small side-discussions.

Just beautiful.

Thank you! Also, thanks for the X-over HTR. Wink

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 1 2015, 12:21pm

Post #29 of 266 (1827 views)
Shortcut
     And to your daddy issues reply, VValar... [In reply to]  

I'm not saying this could never have been a possibility, I just think it's a long stretch. Out of all the options they could have chosen from, they came up with this painful and heartbroken version of father/son instead of, I dunno, perhaps a stronger and more interesting multi dimensional dynamic between father and son with mutual respect, loyality AND overt love/caring for one another. I'm not saying everything should be happy and carefree between the two, Legolas could very well still cut himself loose from his father's fundamental isolated believes for all I care. It would even suit him imo since he is the one (and only) Elven representative to go along with the Fellowship. Again, they could have gone with several different options. Instead we got stuck with a heart broken Thranduil.

Beforehand, I didn’t spend much time speculating about how Thranduil / Legolas arc would play out. However, I thought it'd include a scene in which Legolas and Thranduil come face to face after the battle and Thranduil places a hand on Legolas’s shoulder, and expresses, in very few words, his relief to see him. I also thought we might see them fighting side by side and performing some mind-blowing stunts together, getting each other’s back and so on.

(I was disappointed we only saw flashes of fighting, though the scene in which Thranduil lies right back on Bubba while making some swordplay, I’d like to watch frame by frame.)

But the story we did get –

The arcs created for the Elves in these stories are just not fresh nor captivating.

It has captivated me. Much more than I ever expected. I can’t deny it, though I have great respect for y’all’s opinions and thoughts on the matter. I have to be honest though, and it’s quite hard to come out and confess, when going so against the grain, but heart-broken Thranduil captures my heart and imagination. Could this be coz I just wanna comfort him? WinkWink Well, trying to articulate why, I guess it’s just my personality & deep inner world coming into play. I’m a mostly optimistic person, but I possess something of a melancholic soul. As a very young girl, I was always drawn to sad stories. They were far more interesting, and they fed my imagination and emotion with their poignancy, and inspired my creativity. I used to draw the sad scenes from movies, then write stories about them, then I’d cry, and my emotional experience was somehow very satisfying. Weird, I know, because now my quiet life is full of friendship and good things, and I certainly don’t seek out or enjoy RL sadness. But that ‘little girl’ habit of enjoying the melancholy still lingers, and often catches me unware. Much of the poignant stuff in the Silm really triggered it off. As does listening to certain music.

Excuse me for prattling on about myself. Guess I just needed to explain/justify the less popular position of feeling the captivation. To myself even! But I'd rather front up to it than make out that I dislike the arcs, which I don't. Evil

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 12:26pm

Post #30 of 266 (1756 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
You have been busy - and so *ahem* have we all by the looks of it. Thank you for the hard work putting this together. Heart

T'was started when Kerewyn spoke about the 6000th post. Just got inspired to do a proper set of them since I had to review all the threads to get the info anywaySmile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXXI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 12:28pm

Post #31 of 266 (1755 views)
Shortcut
     *SQUEE* And you are fast on the purveying, mariel! [In reply to]  

I was coming in to share that too. Glad to see it already hereSmile

And she's made a 2015 calender of it!

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 12:28pm

Post #32 of 266 (1758 views)
Shortcut
     I suppose it's the same Elvish thing [In reply to]  

that allows Leggy to walk on snowSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 12:29pm

Post #33 of 266 (1742 views)
Shortcut
     Definitely need HTR warning [In reply to]  

Great find! That's the source for all 3 of the Thranduil Pretty! as far as I can tell.Heart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 12:31pm

Post #34 of 266 (1746 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks for "a thranduilful new year" [In reply to]  

And same to you! I mean whatever would be the equivalent for you.

Mirkwood is lucky to have you in residenceSmile

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 1 2015, 12:36pm

Post #35 of 266 (1758 views)
Shortcut
     Are you with us? [In reply to]  

I have to say, I need to listen out for this line at my next screening. I've been so busy thudding in my cinema seat, mouth open just oggling his magnificence, that the line itself passed me by.

This is Thranduil's first scene of course, and at my first viewing, I think I stopped breathing. My breath was almost literally taken away, as he comes cantering in on Bubba. And Bubba steps lively too! I thought the elk would always be a bit slow and ponderous, like we see him riding between the ranks of soldiers, and in the Prologue. But no, Bubba moves fast with a real spring in his step. And then we see that amazing profile, and his bearing in the saddle. All so very regal and awe-inspiring.

Also love:
"I can see you know nothing of wizards..." and I need to remember what he says about wizards next, and ponder on what kind of past experiences Thranduil may have had with wizards. (Radaghast, most likely?)

And, when Bard returns from failing to negotiate with Thorin:
"You tried." So unruffled, so matter-of-fact.

"You started this, you'll forgive me if I finish it."
From this, we can suppose Thranduil now knows all about Gandalf inspiring the dwarvish mission. Do you think Gandalf himself filled him in?

And -sidenote - how did Thranduil know "this is the halfling that stole my dungeon keys". Possibly that knowledge came from Legolas spotting Bilbo in a barrel during the river scene. Or again, Gandalf.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 12:39pm

Post #36 of 266 (1753 views)
Shortcut
     Happy new year, Kerewyn! *WAVES* [In reply to]  

Are we on at the same time? SmileHeart

In Reply To
The words from that early U2 song rang true as I caught the train home early this morning. All is, indeed, quiet on New Year's Day.

Indeed. Which sort of reminds me of one of my fav from them, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"Unimpressed But it's ok! New year, new outlook!

In Reply To
A quick dinner party survey was that BotFA is a crowd-pleaser, from those who'd seen it. (and these are just movie-goers, not fans.)

Oooh, sounds cool! Any special mentions?AngelicCoolWink

In Reply To
Had a slightly disappointing start to the year, with an unwelcome discovery, which I won't go on about here. But to say, it is so nice to come here to the TA threads, where there are warm welcomes, interesting debates, we Thralls are pleasant to each other, and there's lots of Pretty to help me relax and take a breather from RL issues. Heart

*hugs* Sorry to hear about the lacklustre start. Hope it's not going to cast a pall on the rest of the week! Well, if you need a vent or just a listening ear... you know where to goSmile

In Reply To
And Lurker, massive kudos on collating the stats! Wow, those are the kind of spreadsheet I'd rather be looking at, than the one I'll be filling in at work tomorrow. Wink

*bows* Hope it helps out you in a happy place for tomorrow thenAngelic You oughta know, this was the outcome of your post about the 600th TA postCool

In Reply To
I nearly spilt my wine thudding at the OP image. It looks like a shot we never actually saw, but is a frontal of from reaching to take the White Gems from the casket offered to him in the AUJ Prologue.

Oooh! Nice connection! And heh... how about another interpretation... covered with royal sass?Angelic

How's that for some
pre-bedtime feels?AngelicTongueEvil

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 1 2015, 12:39pm

Post #37 of 266 (1759 views)
Shortcut
     This calendar is going on my screensaver [In reply to]  

I was going to try making one, but this'll do nicely, and is probably better than anything I could knock up. SmileSmile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 12:56pm

Post #38 of 266 (1751 views)
Shortcut
     Ambling Ramble [In reply to]  

*rubs hands in glee* Always love discussions - and the *ahem* variety from THUDDING Blush Afterall, the mind need some jogs too, not just the eyes, and heartAngelic

In Reply To
You’ve made me think more deeply about Legolas’s “you’ll have to kill me first.” And yes it is just a saying, because he knows Thranduil would never kill him. We say the same things , eg “over my dead body,” and it’s not meant to be taken literally, but it displays how strongly we feel about something. (and wow, I only just thought about what ‘over my dead body’ implies, as an idiom – that *I* am prepared to fight to the death for what I believe in. I had always vaguely thought of it as meaning “not in my lifetime.” LOL, an Elf would never use that. OR maybe they would, and it would basically mean “never”.)L

Just snert at this. But I think that Legolas saying literally killed Thranduil. He looked so in need of a cuddle there. It seemed to have brought things a bit too far on the drawn-out side... but by the Valar if Thranduil didn't have the perfect response... I just wanna hug him betterHeartAngelic

In Reply To
But because of the kinslaying, I also felt the depth of Legolas’s words because it’s possibly a tabu thing for Elves to say to each other. Or an extreme, portraying the extremity of his feelings on the matter. Actually Blush I’ve just realised I don’t know what Legolas is replying to there. Can anyone remember what Thranduil just said to Tauriel, after breaking her bow?

hmmm... I'm going to PM you a "reference source" later. Smile

In Reply To
We can humanise his remark to take it more lightly - haven’t we all had words with our dads at some point? …. OR, we relate it to other known fictional stories, where family ties break over a love affair or political belief. Have the writers found a middle ground, considering an audience that is probably familiar with those great themes, and are for the most part probably unfamiliar with The Silm?

Another Kerewyn gem. I struggle with it, as it seemed to bring Elves too far down the ladder, if that makes sense? But I do get what you're talking about and that's part of my problems with the narrative I guess. Gawds! I'm so Dr Jekyll and Ms Hyde with BotFA I'm beginning to suspect if I do have an opinion of my ownCrazyCrazy

In Reply To
However, as you noted, VValar, there are other ways this could have played out. This could have been a chance to educate the non-fans on the true nature of what it is to be an Elf.

Yes. And also I think all this coulda-shoulda is really messing my head up. Thank goodness there's the option of fix-it!fics and me own thickskinnedness confidence to write for myselfSmile

In Reply To
The most poignant line for me being: “But Maedhros and Maglor would not hearken, and they prepared, although now with weariness and loathing, to attempt in despair the fulfilment of their oath…” Heart

Ditto! It really grabbed my heart and tore it up. Words, words, words. It's still fresh in my mind because I just, well, 2 or weeks back, finished up the notations of that chapter.

In Reply To
Oh, I remember I did quickly read this but I’d like to read it again, and can’t find the post. Could you please link me? And thanks for your reply to my review a few days ago (in that thread). I didn’t reply there, coz it feels like it’s not so much a thread for small side-discussions.

Oh, thank you! I've revised it... and put it up on the blog. Since I'm not above a bit of shameless self-promo, here's the link. Laugh

In Reply To
Thank you! Also, thanks for the X-over HTR. Wink

You are most welcomeCool

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 1:00pm

Post #39 of 266 (1739 views)
Shortcut
     Just want to say [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Excuse me for prattling on about myself. Guess I just needed to explain/justify the less popular position of feeling the captivation. To myself even! But I'd rather front up to it than make out that I dislike the arcs, which I don't. Evil

No apologies needed. For me, I very much appreciate that in TA we can all (well, mostly) have opinions at odds, and yet accept our differences, be mindful and respectful even as we debate (even when we do so passionately), and still get along, communally thud and share in appreciation of stuff like the choco-dipped ***** Cassie purveysAngelic

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 1:02pm

Post #40 of 266 (1754 views)
Shortcut
     Check thy PM [In reply to]  

Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 1:03pm

Post #41 of 266 (1741 views)
Shortcut
     My new wallpaper [In reply to]  

Angelic

=======

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 1 2015, 1:23pm

Post #42 of 266 (1751 views)
Shortcut
     Aww! [In reply to]  

Thanks, Lurker. Smile And I wouldn't mind my year being thranduilful too, among other things. I like having a bit of everything. AngelicTongue

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 1 2015, 1:37pm

Post #43 of 266 (1734 views)
Shortcut
     Wow! [In reply to]  

You've outdone yourself, Lurker. Very impressive. Smile

(Though you may want to revise the "Threadlocker" column.)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2015, 2:11pm

Post #44 of 266 (1732 views)
Shortcut
     Gandalf... [In reply to]  

In the scene where Gandalf is in the tent with Thranduil and Bard, telling them about the Orc armies - Thranduil asks Gandalf to explain why the Orcs would choose this particular time to march. And Gandalf explains it is because he forced the Enemy's hand, by encouraging Thorin to reclaim Erebor, which the Enemy did not manage to prevent by other means (such as, killing Thorin along the way).

I also thought maybe Tauriel and the Elves who were with her when they discovered the escape, might have seen Bilbo for a moment. He just barely got away, as there was some delay in his getting out, as he had overlooked the detail that there was no barrel for him...

Adrianna
Lorien

Jan 1 2015, 2:54pm

Post #45 of 266 (1771 views)
Shortcut
     I ran out [In reply to]  

Anybody know what happen to my order of chocolate dipped Thranduil?

I placed another order and did not get them.

Cassie will be out of business.

Unsure

We are on a roll with the threads. 30 took only about a couple days.

Do we get a praise for having the most threads by the mods?

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 4:46pm

Post #46 of 266 (1731 views)
Shortcut
     And that is... [In reply to]  

EXACTLY how it happened! Smile Bubba Lives!!!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 4:51pm

Post #47 of 266 (1692 views)
Shortcut
     You doubt it? [In reply to]  

Of course he survived! Do you not seen the conceptual image for the EE that Lurker has provided? Looks official to me!! Cool

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 4:52pm

Post #48 of 266 (1708 views)
Shortcut
     It is true! [In reply to]  

Bubba lives! Everyone together! #BubbaLives!

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 1 2015, 4:54pm

Post #49 of 266 (1681 views)
Shortcut
     Happy New Year, everyone! [In reply to]  

Hope everyone had a save travel into the new year. Wink

And I see we got another goodie. Heart What a thud-y image. Gorgeous!

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Jan 1 2015, 5:14pm

Post #50 of 266 (1692 views)
Shortcut
     name place and time [In reply to]  

Oooh! Nice connection! And heh... how about another interpretation... covered with royal sass?Angelic

How's that for some
pre-bedtime feels?AngelicTongueEvil

*my mind is working hard* Blush Jeeee, this elf.

Oh and, look at those hands.

(I think it is no secret [anymore] that I totally have a thing for his [rings adorned] hands)

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.