The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Question about the Witch King of Angmar

legorun

Jan 1 2015, 2:32am

Post #1 of 14 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Question about the Witch King of Angmar Can't Post

I Don't know if this question has been asked Before
but what exactly happened to him after angmar fall .. How He Died ??

Did the other Nazgul Fight with Him Against Arnor and how they end up and Returned To Dol Guldur in BOFTA ??

and Sorry For My Bad English

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2015, 3:28am

Post #2 of 14 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Your English is just fine. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And welcome to TORN, legorum.

There was a battle between the Witch-king's armies and those of the Dunedain but I've never been sure if the Witch-king was human at that time (and died during the battles) or if he was already a wraith. I hope someone else can step in here and clarify it!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 1 2015, 4:47am

Post #3 of 14 (1197 views)
Shortcut
According to "The Tale of Years"... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Nazgul first appear in year 2251 of the Second Age (when Tar-Atanamir was king of Numenor). The WitchKing appears in Angmar in 1300 Third Age. So the WiKi had been around for over 2000 years as a Ringwraith by the time he got to Angmar.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2015, 8:03am

Post #4 of 14 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Morthoron! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one story that I wish Tolkien had fleshed out is the Witch-king's - there's a magnificent tale there that hasn't been told.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

legorun

Jan 1 2015, 9:08am

Post #5 of 14 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for answering [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Nazgul first appear in year 2251 of the Second Age (when Tar-Atanamir was king of Numenor). The WitchKing appears in Angmar in 1300 Third Age. So the WiKi had been around for over 2000 years as a Ringwraith by the time he got to Angmar.

I know That After the battle of Fornost The Witch King managed to Skip
But How do you Explain This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEobiBLKeTM

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 4:54pm

Post #6 of 14 (1095 views)
Shortcut
I got the impression... [In reply to] Can't Post

Angmar was a beta-test for Mordor's rise. A mini-Modor, if you will.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 1 2015, 5:24pm

Post #7 of 14 (1103 views)
Shortcut
The High Fells only exist in the movie-verse [In reply to] Can't Post

We are never explained how exactly the Witch-king died in the movies. The little information we have is what we learn from Galadriel during the White Council meeting in AUJ: "When Angmar fell, men of the North took his body and all that he possessed and sealed it within the High Fells of Rhudaur. Deep within the rock they buried them, in a tomb so dark it would never come to light." In DOS it is revealed that the High Fells are also where the other Ringwraiths were buried. But, as Gandalf and Radagast discover, all the crypts are broken open from inside and empty. "The Ringwraiths have been summoned to Dol Guldur," says Gandalf, suggesting that it was Sauron's call that broke them free.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 1 2015, 5:26pm

Post #8 of 14 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know That After the battle of Fornost The Witch King managed to Skip But How do you Explain This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEobiBLKeTM

How do I explain Jackson's film edit? Bad fan-fiction that has no bearing on what actually happened in Middle-earth. Read further about the WitchKing when he moved from Angmar (after destroying the Dunedain kingdoms of the North) to Minas Ithil in the south, which the WitchKing and the other Nazgul besieged and then occupied. This became Minas Morgul, and there the WitchKing began the slow, inexorable process of destroying Gondor as well.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Jan 1 2015, 5:27pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 1 2015, 5:48pm

Post #9 of 14 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Actually.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Angmar was a beta-test for Mordor's rise. A mini-Modor, if you will.

It is what you get when an immortal malice patiently divides and conquers his enemies. Sauron sent the WitchKing to Angmar to destroy the divided kingdoms of the Northern Dunedain. Once that was accomplished, the WitchKing was sent south to invest Minas Ithil (later to become Minas Morgul), and start the destruction of the Southern Dunedain in Gondor. With King Earnur captured by the WitchKing, the process of the slow erosion of Gondor began. For all intents and purposes, this patient, centuries-long method of Sauron grinding away at his enemies should have worked; unfortunately for Sauron, the One Ring was found and he abandoned the process that would have been successful had he not lost patience.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 6:31pm

Post #10 of 14 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll admit, my knowledge of the late Second and Early Third Ages is severely lacking, Shocked so I appreciate you breaking down the lore for me! Laugh

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

legorun

Jan 1 2015, 11:05pm

Post #11 of 14 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a Lot [In reply to] Can't Post

How do I explain Jackson's film edit? Bad fan-fiction that has no bearing on what actually happened in Middle-earth. Read further about the WitchKing when he moved from Angmar (after destroying the Dunedain kingdoms of the North) to Minas Ithil in the south, which the WitchKing and the other Nazgul besieged and then occupied. This became Minas Morgul, and there the WitchKing began the slow, inexorable process of destroying Gondor as well.

Smile

Gurtholfin
Bree

Jan 2 2015, 6:36am

Post #12 of 14 (1051 views)
Shortcut
I know you are saying this... [In reply to] Can't Post

but to be clear to any readers who are unaware, the quoted below that is from the movies is completely made up by PJ & co.

In Reply To
We are never explained how exactly the Witch-king died in the movies. The little information we have is what we learn from Galadriel during the White Council meeting in AUJ: "When Angmar fell, men of the North took his body and all that he possessed and sealed it within the High Fells of Rhudaur. Deep within the rock they buried them, in a tomb so dark it would never come to light." In DOS it is revealed that the High Fells are also where the other Ringwraiths were buried. But, as Gandalf and Radagast discover, all the crypts are broken open from inside and empty. "The Ringwraiths have been summoned to Dol Guldur," says Gandalf, suggesting that it was Sauron's call that broke them free.

It's fan fiction and doesn't follow canon.

Google "Battle of Fornost" and piecing together the sources that are there will give the original poster the story of the Witch King of Angmar.

The story of the North Kingdom and the later 3 divided kingdoms and their fall is one of my favorites.

(This post was edited by Gurtholfin on Jan 2 2015, 6:42am)

Gurtholfin
Bree

Jan 2 2015, 7:17am

Post #13 of 14 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Arnor [In reply to] Can't Post

Wiki actually has a pretty good entry on the Kingdom of Arnor that sums a lot of it up. Check that out too.

Long and short is that the Witch King doesn't die, he simply withdraws as his centuries old mission to destroy the North Kingdom(s) is complete.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 2 2015, 12:11pm

Post #14 of 14 (1123 views)
Shortcut
The Watchful Peace [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't Jackson tie the Fall of Angmar into the Watchful Peace and move it to approximately 400 years before the Quest of Erebor? Whereas, Tolkien dates the Battle of Fornost to TA 1975, while the Watchful Peace was the period from 2063 to 2460 when Sauron was hidden in the East and the Ringwraiths remained quiet in Minas Morgal.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.