The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
News story - Peter Jackson's Long Goodbye to Middle-earth

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 31 2014, 11:48pm

Post #1 of 5 (433 views)
Shortcut
News story - Peter Jackson's Long Goodbye to Middle-earth Can't Post

This is a neat read, with some insightful comments about PJ by Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan, But what caught my eye was the final par:

The one thing Jackson most looks forward to is the day when he has grandchildren and "I can sit and watch their faces as they watch the films. That sort of thing is going to be the moment where I sit back and actually reflect backward, I think - seeing somebody actually experience these films rather than thinking about it."

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2015, 12:52am

Post #2 of 5 (257 views)
Shortcut
I love that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope he does get that moment with his grandchildren. I was just wondering the other day whether Peter can ever read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings now that the movies are complete. I hope so - I hope he still finds joy in the books.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2015, 12:55am

Post #3 of 5 (271 views)
Shortcut
You'd have to wonder, wouldn't you? [In reply to] Can't Post

After years of delving into the minutiae of the stories over and over again, would it ever be possible for him to read the books for simple enjoyment?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 2:35am

Post #4 of 5 (248 views)
Shortcut
oh man... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still can't get my head around this... that's he's done. Even as I say this, a voice in me shouts... NEVER!

Nothing will ever compare to or eclipse what he's done with Tolkien's Middle-earth... not even by himself. And I don't want him to try. Each of these films are treasures and have a life all their own. I hope a day comes when he can just sit and watch these and enjoy them as we have.

I cry more when the credits roll with sketches of all 3 films as Billy sings the Last Goodbye because it is farewell. We've been a part of a very special journey. I don't think I'll ever say goodbye.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 12:06pm

Post #5 of 5 (241 views)
Shortcut
On some level, many of us can sympathize with that sentiment [In reply to] Can't Post

We too have in our way been deeply involved in the making process of these films. It's sometimes hard - at least for me - to distance myself from everything I know about the actors, the design team, the various other members of the crew, the choices made with the script, the dialogue, the editing...

Anyway, I'm also glad he is now finished with it - he can say like Frodo: "It is done" and move on with his life and career, onto new projects.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.