The Hobbit and LOTR via Kentucky Can't Post

http://www.thenewerworld.com/...kien’s-‘the-hobbit’/

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2015, 3:53am

Post #2 of 6 (301 views)
Shortcut
now that's interesting......... [In reply to] Can't Post

my cousin lived in Kentucky, my friends live there...

pretty conservative.

But you can, apparently sail anywhere in the world from Kentucky (the rivers connect to the Gulf...)...

or maybe that was Tennessee...

I was pretty sure that those "Red Indian Tales" Tolkien said he loved as a kid, influenced more than one thing in his tales. The wood Elves always seemed a bit more like the Haudeenosaunee than the Celts...

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 14 2015, 5:27am

Post #3 of 6 (297 views)
Shortcut
I had to look up Haudeenosaunee....ah, what I know as Iroquois. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Aragorn has qualities of Hawkeye (Naty Bumpo)

"Natty Bumppo, although the child of white parents, grew up among Delaware Indians and was educated by Moravian Christians,[1][2] becoming a near-fearless warrior skilled in many weapons, one of which is the long rifle. Hawkeye (one of his many nicknames) hunts only what he needs to survive, and when it comes time to fire his flintlock he stresses that he has only one shot to bring down a target. He and his Mohican companion Chingachgook try to stop the incessant conflict between the Mohicans and the Hurons." Wiki

Note similarity to Aragorn being raised by Elrond and the Rivendell elves...who became a near fearless warrior skilled in many weapons, hunts only what he needs to survive and only needs one shot to bring down an enemy...works to bring peoples together etc.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2015, 10:23pm

Post #4 of 6 (294 views)
Shortcut
hee heeee [In reply to] Can't Post

I just happened to have done a bit more reading on them than most other tribes... (I thinnk I spelled it right...ack). Also had a couple friends from various Iroquois tribes. They're kind of local.

Neat comparison between Aragorn and Hawkeye!

I learned a bit about the era from my neighbors, a Deaf family who were involved in living history of the fur trade/Last of the Mohicans era. I learned a wee bit about black powder, enough to know it was a tough way to hunt and required a ton of skill...

I think Elven archery is easier.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 17 2015, 6:32pm

Post #5 of 6 (285 views)
Shortcut
I learned about black powder the hard way... [In reply to] Can't Post

...flew backward into my daddy's chest at the shooting range! ;)
I grew up around all that and had heard the tales, but was still unprepared and completely blown away by just how much of a wallop it can pack. [ETA: Plus, he didn't tell me what it was, just called me over to the table to take aim, and I didn't really look to see which one it was.] We don't dress up these days, but we still attend a few events. Dad prefers the French & Indian War era, but I'm not as choosy.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jan 17 2015, 6:42pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2015, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 6 (284 views)
Shortcut
in which [In reply to] Can't Post

the words blown away take on a whole new meaning!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.