Meriadoc Brandybuck (Merry)
Other (Please Specify)
View Results (77 votes)

AiwendilTheReal

Dec 31 2014, 5:25am

Post #1 of 25 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Hobbit Can't Post

I know it would be like choosing between children, but which hobbit is your personal favorite? Please specify if you choose other, because there are many hobbits that I didn't include in the poll. And please explain why.

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 31 2014, 5:33am

Post #2 of 25 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Before I vote... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you asking this with the books or movies in mind? Or perhaps all of them at once? Wink

And welcome to TORn, by the way! Happy to see another new face around here. Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Dec 31 2014, 5:34am)

AiwendilTheReal

Dec 31 2014, 5:50am

Post #3 of 25 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Books and Movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Question! I would say both... I do feel like some hobbits, especially Sam and Frodo, were portrayed a little differently between the books and movies. It is ultimately up to your own opinion/perception of the characters!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 31 2014, 10:30am

Post #4 of 25 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

He's THE hobbit. And welcome to TORn, Aiwendil! Smile

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2014, 10:38am

Post #5 of 25 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Sam! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam (book) didn't waver from what he saw as his duty. He was there to support Frodo in his task to get the ring to Mordor. That is what he did.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Dec 31 2014, 2:02pm

Post #6 of 25 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

but if I could give two votes, the other one would be for Bilbo. And yes, it's like choosing between your children: impossible.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2014, 3:55pm

Post #7 of 25 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Book or movie matters... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I would give different answers. Sam is hands down my favorite Tolkien book character. And he was my favorite character of any race, in the LotR films as well.

But, now that we have a Hobbit trilogy...I think that Bilbo might be my favorite film Hobbit.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 8:30pm

Post #8 of 25 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Merry (book) [In reply to] Can't Post

Book-Merry is my favorite because he takes care of everyone else all the time. He's the one who arranges for their trip, he spends time in Rivendell looking at maps, he's always watching out for Pippin, and when Theoden refuses to let him ride into danger he goes anyway - and a good thing too, because without him the Witch-King would not have been destroyed. He's an unsung hero who's happy staying out of the limelight, and I like that.

Film-Merry got turned into a comic relief character for most of the time, which I did not like.

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 31 2014, 8:31pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 31 2014, 11:02pm

Post #9 of 25 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Glad I'm not the only one to vote Merry. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, one of the most scary, intense, and suspenseful moments of the books was when he was trying to sneak up behind the Witchking, hoping desperately not to be noticed as he moved in to backstab the most terrifying creature he had ever seen. It was terrifying, and he did it anyway, just because he thought it needed to be done.

The other hobbits had their moments of dutiful courage as well, but it was Merry's moment that really grabbed me.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 2:42am

Post #10 of 25 (1218 views)
Shortcut

Books or movies, he's always been my favorite Hobbit.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 4:15pm

Post #11 of 25 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I've always loved book-Frodo, and book-Pippin is right up there, with his Jerome K. Jerome kind of persona. And of course Sam is the hero of the story.

I never really connected that much with book-Bilbo, but Martin Freeman was fantastic.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 5:16pm

Post #12 of 25 (1206 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

he was nearly overcome with fear, but stronger than his fear was his feeling that he couldn't let Eowyn face the monster alone. That's Merry.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 2 2015, 4:53am

Post #13 of 25 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Samwise! [In reply to] Can't Post

The most loyal friend and kindest of the hobbits (which is saying a lot). His character is so hopeful and pure of heart. Everything he does is done to help Frodo - Sam is pretty selfless.
But this is a difficult post to answer, Aiwendil. Tongue If I had to choose my second favourite I wouldn't be able to.

Aranarth
The Shire

Jan 3 2015, 4:39pm

Post #14 of 25 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Mae Govannen Aiwendil [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Post Aiwendil( I personally chose Merry). And by the way, guys give it a break about the whole movie/book thing. Its like someone can't put up a poll without someone finding a problem with it!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2015, 5:41am

Post #15 of 25 (1145 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

when I read the books it was Sam and Pippin, Sam for his steadfastness (I want him by my side) and Pippin for his cuteness and "magical child" quality. Also liked them both in the films.

then ...

Martin Freeman.

nuff said.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 4 2015, 1:13pm

Post #16 of 25 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Pippin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Pippin!
And young Bilbo!

Gwytha
Rohan

Jan 5 2015, 3:38am

Post #17 of 25 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

has always been my favorite hobbit but Martin Freeman's Bilbo is pretty wonderful too--he has made me appreciate Bilbo's character in a way I never had before. Now that I'm re-watching FOTR after seeing TH trilogy I have a much deeper affection for Ian Holm's Bilbo than I had before.

But I also feel especially protective of Frodo. I feel his reputation was unjustly(though unintentionally)tarnished by how his character was written in the films. Tolkien's Frodo was much more heroic than PJ's.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 5 2015, 10:46pm

Post #18 of 25 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Rosie Cotton [In reply to] Can't Post

just to be annoying. Honestly, loved Sam in LoTR and Martin in the Hobbit movies. I knew NOTHING about Freeman before I read about his being cast (hadn't seen "Sherlock" yet), but when I saw his picture I said "oh yeah, that's the one!" Suppose that means I should have voted for him, oh, well.Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 12:14am

Post #19 of 25 (1117 views)
Shortcut
HEAR, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And by the way, guys give it a break about the whole movie/book thing.

BofurTheDwarf

Jan 7 2015, 4:44pm

Post #20 of 25 (1108 views)
Shortcut

and Sam would have been my second choice .

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 9 2015, 8:36pm

Post #21 of 25 (1090 views)
Shortcut

He's truly the most interesting.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 9 2015, 9:09pm

Post #22 of 25 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Tie with Sam and Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam was the gardener without the big house, clothes and furniture but full of spirit and courage and common sense...

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 9 2015, 9:13pm

Post #23 of 25 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Merry [In reply to] Can't Post

though I adore Bilbo, Merry always made me proud. Facing that WK so that Eowyn does not die alone; and back at the Scouring, where he effortlessly takes command when its needed most.

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 9 2015, 11:57pm

Post #24 of 25 (1115 views)
Shortcut
I always loved Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

I like seeing how he changes over the course of the story. In the beginning he's innocent and kind of sassy in a way, but by the end, he's grown up. He's been captured by Uruk-hai, given his service to Denethor, saved Faramir's life, fought in several battles...

Sam and Bilbo come in a close second and third, though.

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 12:47am

Post #25 of 25 (1062 views)
Shortcut
But definitely...PIPPIN! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who else????

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.