Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which one is your favourite of the three Hobbit movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which one is your favourite of the three Hobbit movies?
AUJ
DOS
BOFA
View Results (88 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 30 2014, 8:02pm

Post #1 of 31 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Which one is your favourite of the three Hobbit movies? Can't Post

For me, it's a toss-up between AUJ and BOFA. I'll go with BOFA.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 30 2014, 8:36pm

Post #2 of 31 (754 views)
Shortcut
For me as well [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll go with AUJ. Just for balance. Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2014, 11:20pm

Post #3 of 31 (712 views)
Shortcut
Out of all 3 ... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's just too much in BO5A I'd want to change. I'd vote for AUJ and DOS if I could.

Nunilo
Bree

Dec 30 2014, 11:21pm

Post #4 of 31 (705 views)
Shortcut
AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

But very closely followed by BOFA.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Dec 30 2014, 11:25pm

Post #5 of 31 (713 views)
Shortcut
BoFA... [In reply to] Can't Post

which is a first, since I never prefer the one where something bad happens to a favorite character, I usually rate these as a close second. As for the reason? I think Avandel in another post pretty much summed it up: ALL of Thorin in BOFA - unbelievable. Like the mithril shirt scene, and the Thorin/Dwalin scene, and the end duel, and Thorin confronting the army at his gate. OMG. Couldn't have said it better myself. Going for the third time on New Year's Day, I just hope I'm not as emotional as I was the last time, but at least now, I'm a little more prepared for it.Smile

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2014, 11:39pm

Post #6 of 31 (704 views)
Shortcut
Just me for DOS then. [In reply to] Can't Post

Weirdo.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 31 2014, 12:34am

Post #7 of 31 (720 views)
Shortcut
This is very interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

As discussed on the Hobbit board, consensus among general moviegoers (and critics) is that BOFA is the weakest movie and that DOS is the strongest. This doesn't ring true at all with the results of this poll and at other places - it seems that for the more "hardcorey" fans if so to speak, it's a tossup between AUJ and BOFA, with DOS as the clear #3. Interesting.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 31 2014, 12:35am)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 31 2014, 12:48am

Post #8 of 31 (710 views)
Shortcut
If it is any consolation, [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS comes a very close second to BOTFA for me, with AUJ last.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2014, 1:38am

Post #9 of 31 (711 views)
Shortcut
It's a tossup [In reply to] Can't Post

But i'll go with Five Armies. AUJ is right there though. DoS a distant third. Forges. Just ugh.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 31 2014, 3:19am

Post #10 of 31 (683 views)
Shortcut

Loved it from the first viewing - it's my happy place. Smile

BOFA is second, but will never be my happy place. Unsure

Dwarewien
Rohan

Dec 31 2014, 4:07am

Post #11 of 31 (672 views)
Shortcut
Same with me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
DOS comes a very close second to BOTFA for me, with AUJ last.

not that I hate AUJ (since there's things I like and dislike about all three films), I just rarely prefer the first movie in a trilogy as my favorite. I usually prefer one of the sequels. I was sure that DoS would remain on top (mostly because of what happens to Thorin in BoFA), so I wasn't expecting BoFA to be my favorite. Also, I was still into the villains when I first saw AUJ, I had to see it about six more times until I technically fell for Thorin (which was shortly after the seventh time, but the last time I saw it in 3D, since I still can't afford to upgrade to Blu-ray yet, so the theater is the only place I can view the movies in 3D, whether in the new HFR 3D or the regular RealD 3D), so that might be another reason.Wink

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 31 2014, 7:47am

Post #12 of 31 (656 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS extremely close second to BOTFA right now.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2014, 8:40am

Post #13 of 31 (649 views)
Shortcut
Have to be AUJ for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

with BoFA second. EE DoS was a big improvement over the TE but still too much padding/Osgiliation.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Dec 31 2014, 5:05pm

Post #14 of 31 (639 views)
Shortcut
Without a doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ

I'll have seen it the most times in the theater of all the films and by far the most times on DVD (I was watching it pretty much every other day for a month or so when I first got it!). DOS I watched maybe twice on DVD and BOTFA I'm not even going to bother purchasing until the EE.

So AUJ is far ahead number one for me: More character moments, no stupid romance, and no missed opportunities (imo) Smile

Annael
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 8:32pm

Post #15 of 31 (630 views)
Shortcut
one of these days I suppose I must see BoFA [In reply to] Can't Post

"favorite" would be a difficult thing, rather like choosing my favorite "Twilight" movie.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 4:19pm

Post #16 of 31 (612 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a huge fan of the Hobbit movies, but IMO they're definitely not the Twilight movies. And I liked BoFA better than the other two. Not all of it, but I liked certain scenes very much. The scene of Smaug burning Laketown was stupendous, and the reconciliation of Bilbo and Thorin made me cry. And the appearance of the spoons made me applaud.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 1 2015, 4:20pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 5:34pm

Post #17 of 31 (603 views)
Shortcut
I've been debating waiting for DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can fast-forward through the battle scenes, which I'm told go on and on and serve no actual purpose most of the time. But I've also been told that if I go in with the attitude of "it's a silly fantasy story that looks really good on the big screen" it will be worth seeing in the theater. I'll see. Don't have time to see it for a couple of weeks so it will probably depend on whether it's still playing within an hour of me (it's gone from my town already).

elostirion74
Rohan

Jan 1 2015, 9:04pm

Post #18 of 31 (575 views)
Shortcut
AUJ without a single doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ has got a much stronger and more cohesive story than the other two and itīs the only of the films that I felt had a very genuine flair of its own in terms of both tone and content: it clearly put the story of the Hobbit as its first priority.

DoS is in second place, as it at least has a number of really excellent scenes and retains the great sense of detail in the production. I also still feel that I can see what it wants to be as a film despite all the misgivings I have about it and my dissatisfaction with its choices in terms of storyline and at times rather frantic pacing.

BoTFA just felt like a very muddled and mediocre film, with several good acting performances, but rather poor editing and grip on the story as a whole. It felt unfinished.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 10:07pm

Post #19 of 31 (571 views)
Shortcut
Loved the spoons [In reply to] Can't Post

And glad indeed those were in the movie because it just made me smile which at that point in the movie I really needed!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 2 2015, 5:06am

Post #20 of 31 (563 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's up to you, of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the burning of Laketown is well worth seeing on the big screen, IMHO.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2015, 6:53pm

Post #21 of 31 (544 views)
Shortcut
BOFA and the beginning of AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

They feel truest to the story, even with changes and omissions. It'll be interesting to watch the EEs (I'm waiting for the set) and find out if that changes that sense.

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 2 2015, 10:10pm

Post #22 of 31 (536 views)
Shortcut

AUJ for me is by far the best. I was just rewatching it the other day which just affirmed that opinion. I like BotFA a lot more than I liked DoS, but to me only AUJ is on par with the LotR trilogy.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jan 2 2015, 10:31pm

Post #23 of 31 (532 views)
Shortcut
DOS EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps that will change when the BotFA EE is released though.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 3 2015, 12:26am

Post #24 of 31 (538 views)
Shortcut

AUJ, then BotfA, then DoS.

BotfA messed up a whole lot that was set up in AUJ that I consider unforgivable so although I enjoy the movie I'm also very bitter about it.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 3 2015, 8:54pm

Post #25 of 31 (511 views)
Shortcut
after all my carping, I go with BoFA [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have done without Azog & Bolg and the Dune worms, and a lot more Thorin, Bilbo, & Thranduil, and I would have liked more on the destruction of Dol Guldur . . . but overall, I was not as put off by PJ's additions in this one.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.