Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2008, 12:44am

Post #1 of 17 (202 views)
Shortcut
"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night" Can't Post

Who likes Classic movies, besides me? I love talking about classic film. Anyone care for a conversation?

FIRST:
Playing right now on TCM is: "All About Eve". Go turn it on now... One of Bette Davis' best films. And a great film classic with one of the best film lines of all time.
"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night" (more links below)

DISCUSSION IDEAS:
Name some of your favorite classic films?

What is it about them makes them great to you... what meaning do they have?

What memories are brought up?

Name a few of your favorite stars (between 1930 — 1965)... list some of the films of these stars that you like and why?

Name some of your favorite directors (between 1930 — 1965).... list some of the films of these stars that you like and why?

What movies did you love growing up?

What do you think are some of the great VISUAL classic films,,, describe & explain?

What film or performance do you think Oscar got it absolutely right on? (link goes to the database for help)

Do you like the film All About Eve, what do like or not like?

Enough question on this trip... just pick the questions you want to answer.

All About Eve links:
Filmsite .org
http://www.filmsite.org/alla.html

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_Eve

Movie Diva .com
http://www.moviediva.com/...es/MDAllAboutEve.htm

IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042192/

You Tube.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnr3AMCmJ3A

Roger Ebert
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/...VIEWS08/6110301/1023

Script by Joseph Mankiewicz - daily script .com
http://www.dailyscript.com/...s/all_about_eve.html

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

vtboyarc
Lorien

Mar 17 2008, 3:34am

Post #2 of 17 (91 views)
Shortcut
oh wow, so many great classics [In reply to] Can't Post

It Happened One Night, Bringing Up Baby, I love you again, the Thin Man movies, Harvey, Its a wonderful world, westersm any Cary Grant, James Stewart, John Wayne, Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast At Tiffanys, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Mickey Rooney, there is so much I could keep going on about!!!!

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 17 2008, 4:58am

Post #3 of 17 (70 views)
Shortcut
All About Eve [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this for the absolute star that Bette Davis is in this film - literally and in the way she plays her role. The script is super sharp, it's kind of a moral tale, and has the added interest of Marilyn Monroe in her first really noticeable role in a big movie.
Other ones I love: Giant, East of Eden (spot the James Dean fan, although Rebel Without a Cause doesn't really do it for me so much); Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (mendacity!), North by Northwest (you could have a whole Hitchcock thread), Mildred Pearce, Johnny Guitar (or anything with Joan, even the terrible horror movies).
It makes me want to go down to my local dvd hire place and get back into the classics section. Haven't been there for ages and they have a fantastic selection.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 17 2008, 6:07am

Post #4 of 17 (79 views)
Shortcut
I'll play [In reply to] Can't Post

The Philadelphia Story, The Best Years of Our Lives, Laura, It's a Wonderful Life, To Kill a Mockingbird, Spellbound

TPS - Hepburn, Grant, & Stewart together; drunk Jimmy Stewart shouting "CK Dexter Haven, oh CK Dexter HAVEN," Hepburn as Tracy Lord learning how to be a little more tolerant & loving of her own faults and hence, those of others - something I had to learn too.

TBYoOL - The wonderful Myrna Loy, and Dana Andrews as an ex-flyboy having trouble readjusting to civilian life.

Laura - sexy film noir with Gene Tierney of the perfect face, Dana Andrews again, and Vincent Price playing against type.

IaWL - Jimmy Stewart in top form. I always cry.

TKaMB - Gregory Peck is Atticus Finch. 'nuff said.

Spellbound - sexiest movie ever. With a dream by Salvador Dali!

Name a few of your favorite stars (between 1930 and 1965)... list some of the films of these stars that you like
Gregory Peck - Captain Horatio Hornblower, To Kill a Mockingbird, Roman Holiday, Spellbound
Myrna Loy - the Thin Man movies, Best Years of our Lives
Jimmy Stewart - see above, and his movies with Jean Arthur
Katharine Hepburn - Philadelphia Story, Holiday
Stanley Baker - Zulu, Guns of Navarone (bonus: Gregory Peck too)
Jean Arthur - Talk of the Town, Mr. Deeds Comes to Town, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The More the Merrier, You Can't Take It with You
Ronald Colman - I just want to listen to his voice. Tale of Two Cities is my favorite film of his.

What do you think are some of the great VISUAL classic films,,, describe & explain?
David Lean's oeuvre.

Do you like the film All About Eve, what do like or not like?
Love it; I own it. All the performances are great. Bette Davis's best movie imho. George Saunders in top form. But I never bought into the idea that Eve was as great and charismatic an actress as Margot; Anne Baxter is just not in Davis's league. Now if Gene Tierney had played Eve . . .

Only the mediocre are always at their best.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2008, 8:15am

Post #5 of 17 (63 views)
Shortcut
Roman Holiday [In reply to] Can't Post

...aired on TCM today did you catch it? A perfectly delightful film both funny and very touching.

Thanks for participating... and 'keep going on about' as much as you want.

Smile

I was hoping to have more time to particpate myself... lots of paperwok to take care of... I'll be hung up all day Monday & Tuesday with appointments & taxes ... I should have waited to post this thread.

But I will respond to as many posts here as I can, if not play myself till I finish takig care of business.

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2008, 9:45am

Post #6 of 17 (61 views)
Shortcut
Mendacity! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is my favorite Elizabeth Taylor movie.

I agree about the Hitchcock thread... did you catch Rear Window today?

I love Bette Davis movies. Have been a huge fan since high school.

My top 3 BETTE DAVIS FILMS:

Now, Voyager (1942)
Dark Victory (1939)
All About Eve (1950)

My list is a lot longer... but I want to write a longer post on it... right now I am tired and I need to hit the sack fo ra early appointment.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2008, 11:32am

Post #7 of 17 (64 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful choices [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Philadelphia Story . . . drunk Jimmy Stewart shouting "CK Dexter Haven, oh CK Dexter HAVEN," . . . Hepburn as Tracy Lord learning how to be a little more tolerant & loving of her own faults and hence, those of others - something I had to learn too.

Definitely a good film standing up to several viewings… I love the romantic scene between Stewart & Hepburn by the pool.

I know just what you mean about finding tolerance in other through self forgiveness. A word I adopted in the process is "allow"… I had to learn to allow me to be me and love me anyway… doing that helped me to do that with others… along with recognizing that their stuff is not about me but about their history. I go around with a relaxed face in a ready to form smile all the time now… when before, people used to nag me to smile and I just could not smile at all. Big change. — Though the theme is there, it doesn't beat you over teh head with it. It is just a good movie top to bottom.

In Reply To
Laura - sexy film noir with Gene Tierney of the perfect face, Dana Andrews again, and Vincent Price playing against type.

I love this film tremendously. It was hard to find for a while. I was told as a teen by one of my mom's friends that I looked like Gene Tierney. I love the "Ghost & Mrs. Muir ", with Rex Harrison & a young Natalie Wood, too.

In Reply To
It's a Wonderful Life - Jimmy Stewart in top form. I always
cry.

I went around for years turning people on to this film going back to the 70's through the 80's. I was surprised by how many people who did not know it. A must film to watch wrapping Xmas presents.

In Reply To
To Kill a Mockingbird - Gregory Peck is Atticus Finch.

A performance to end all performances… he is so totally Atticus Finch. I love the scene in the court room when he is leaving the court and the in the balcony, a black man says to scout to "Stand up, Your father is passing"…and the scene at the end when Boo is hiding behind the door, played by Robert Duvall. — What I love about the film is even with its wonderful and grand themes against racism… it is still a very personal story about a young girl growing up and the world seen through her eyes. I get goose bumps when I think about the sheer brilliance of the film.

In Reply To
Spellbound - sexiest movie ever. With a dream by Salvador Dali!

You said it! I think, however that Notorious, another Hitchcock/Bergman collaboration is even sexier. It is famous for having the longest on-screen kiss for a long time. I love the drama & suspense. I have seen it almost as much as Casablanca and still stop to watch it every time. It never wears old. But, for me, Spellbound, is right up the with it. These are both my favorite two Hitchcock films.

In Reply To
Myrna Loy - the Thin Man movies, Best Years of our Lives

I thought she was wonderful with Clark Gable as well. Some of my favorite Myrna Loy films (besides yours) are: Manhattan Melodrama, Test Pilot, The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, Cheaper by the dozen, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948), to name a few.

In Reply To
• Jimmy Stewart - see above, and his movies with Jean Arthur ——
• Jean Arthur - Talk of the Town, Mr. Deeds Comes to Town, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The More the Merrier, You Can't Take It with You

I like these two in films together as well. He was supposedly in love with Margaret Sullavan, though I believe it, I just can't see it. She never appealed to me much. (I secretly wished it was Jean Arthur he loved instead… Smile.) They are so good together on screen. Jean was much better with Stewart than she was with Gary Cooper.

In Reply To
Ronald Colman - I just want to listen to his voice. Tale of Two Cities is my favorite film of his.

My favorite film of his is Lost Horizon (1937) directed by Frank Capra who directed several of the films you have listed here.

In Reply To
What do you think are some of the great VISUAL classic films… David Lean's oeuvre.

If you mean Laurence of Arabia, I totally agree… I was thinking of that when I wrote the question. I just saw it a week ago on TCM.

I am a total Bette Davis fan from head to toe. All About Eve (1950) is my third favorite however . . . after Now, Voyager (1942) and Dark Victory (1939) I have several other favs as well… will write about them later in my own post.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 17 2008, 2:58pm

Post #8 of 17 (52 views)
Shortcut
David Lean [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean Laurence of Arabia

and Doctor Zhivago, which has some of the most stunning vistas on film ever. The opening funeral procession blows me away every time.

I was very tired last night so I couldn't think beyond Lean, but this morning I can:
Terry Gilliam
Peter Jackson
Bernardo Bertolucci
Ridley Scott
James Cameron
Guillermo del Toro
Victor Fleming
the Coen brothers
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Joe Wright
Akira Kurosawa

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2008, 3:47pm

Post #9 of 17 (55 views)
Shortcut
Many favorite films [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunset Boulevard
All About Eve
Breakfast at Tiffanys
North by Northwest
Now, Voyager
The Grapes of Wrath
Harvey
Vertigo
Gilda
Rear Window
Rebel Without a Cause
Giant
The Wizard of Oz
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Man with the X-Ray Eyes

plus tons of other 50's sci-fi movies

And I love silent films...

Metropolis
Diary of a Lost Girl
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
It
Sunset
Wings
anything by Harold Lloyd and Charlie Chaplin

A few favorite classic film stars:

Jimmy Stewart
Bette Davis
Henry Fonda
Rita Hayworth
Louise Brooks
Clara Bow
Gloria Swanson
James Dean
Charlie Chaplin
Harold Lloyd

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2008, 4:10pm

Post #10 of 17 (49 views)
Shortcut
The African Queen// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

hatster
Rohan

Mar 17 2008, 9:09pm

Post #11 of 17 (51 views)
Shortcut
How did you get such good taste in movies?// [In reply to] Can't Post

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 18 2008, 6:39am

Post #12 of 17 (29 views)
Shortcut
Liz Taylor [In reply to] Can't Post

I love watching her in her heyday. What a fantastic actress and so gorgeous. I can't get over the pointy bras in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof though!
I didn't watch Rear Window but have seen it relatively recently. I'm not sure what TCM is (whatever it is I don't have it Wink )

I really love Bette Davis as well, but I'm a bit hopeless at remembering which film is which. I think I know Dark Victory - is that the one where she is going blind?
When I was growing up there used to be lots of wonderful old movies on free-to-air tv. Now all they screen is straight to video c***p.

Unsure

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2008, 8:02am

Post #13 of 17 (28 views)
Shortcut
Turner Classic Movies [In reply to] Can't Post

TCM = Turner Classic Movies
They have had one of the better web sites on the internet since the mid nineties...
here: http://www.tcm.com/index.jsp

Quote: "Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is a cable television channel featuring commercial-free classic movies, mostly from the Turner Entertainment and Warner Bros. film libraries, which include many MGM, United Artists, RKO and Warner Bros. titles. . . . "
This Wikipedia link will tell you all about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/...urner_Classic_Movies

I described it the other day here:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Since you are a Joan fan...
Joan Crawford's 100th Birthday - Sunday March, 23

"Join us for a 13-film crash course on a Hollywood legend that begins with the documentary Joan Crawford: The Ultimate Movie Star (2002) and includes Joan's rarely seen silent gem, Spring Fever (1927)."
This Month on TCM -- the Monthly Schedule
http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/index/

Turner Classic Movies is a gem of a network. You may have and not know it. It is part of most basic cable packages, these days. I recommend that you search your cable programming to see if you do indeed have it. If not, and you have to pay extra, then it won't cost that much ($4 or so month), it's nothing like HBO in cost. And it is so worth it. it is the best network on TV, bar none. It come with my basic cable package. They have it in the UK and Europe, too.

Since you are a classic film fan... it IS a MUST HAVE for any film fan... beg borrow or steal to get if you have to. Beg your local cable company on you knees... offer to wash heir dishes... Laugh ...not really, but do what ever you have to do to get it... it is a major cable network that shows all over the nation and shouldn't be hard to get it all.

Bette Davis

Dark Victory - she does go blind near the end... supposedly her cancer causes it and it is the last sign before the end... before she dies...It is the point in the film where there isn't one dry eye in the house. She was a major star at Warner Brothers studio. In the 30's she was dubbed "Queen of the Warner Weepers" Most of her mid-late thirties features were serious tear-jerkers. The ones that stand out the most as tear-jerkers in my memory:
That Certain Woman (1937)
Dark Victory (1939)
All This, and Heaven Too (1940)
Now, Voyager (1942)

Maybe I'll finish that post I started last night. I have an important early appointment tomorrow, so I may not get it done till later tomorrow. I also have an appointment ot get my taxes done in the afternoon... this is why I haven't participated much in my own thread... a lot of paper chasing in the last 48 hours and tomorrow, too.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get Turner Classic Movies in your area.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 18 2008, 1:51pm

Post #14 of 17 (46 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Citizen Kane
Yojimbo
We’re No Angels (1955)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Dr. Strangelove
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Rio Bravo
The African Queen
Any Marx Brothers movie
La Belle et la Bęte
Alexander Nevsky
Earth Versus the Flying Saucers
Father Goose
42nd Street
Flying Down to Rio
Larceny, Inc.

What is it about them makes them great to you...

I can watch them over and over again.

…what meaning do they have?

Joy.

What memories are brought up?

Teenage years. A Tarzan movie every weekday afternoon. Three or four movies at Saturday matinees at Red Bird Mall. (A high crime area.) Smuggling in a greasy grocery bag full of popcorn. Go home in time for NBC Saturday Night at the Movies. Then Channel 7 in Dallas had all night movies on Saturday. (Usually four.) Buttered popcorn sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and sweet tea. Keeping the sound low so the rest of the family wasn’t disturbed. Trying to stay awake in church Sunday morning. Crashing at noon on Sunday and not getting up until ABC Sunday Night Movies. Heavy bags under my eyes at school. Good times, good times.

Name a few of your favorite stars (between 1930 — 1965)... list some of the films of these stars that you like and why?

Marlene Dietrich. The Blue Angel, Shanghai Express, Destry Rides Again
Marx Brothers. Anything they do is funny
Greta Garbo. Ninotchka, Queen Christina
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Top Hat, Swing Time
William Powell and Myrna Loy (and Asta). The Thin Man
James Cagney. The Public Enemy and Yankee Doodle Dandy
Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Adama’s Rib, State of the Union, Pat and Mike
Edgar G. Robinson. Brother Orchid, Little Caesar
Joan Crawford. Queen Bee, Johnny Guitar
Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. All those “Road” pictures, not to mention solos in My Favorite Brunette and Going My Way
Humphrey Bogart. The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Cary Grant. Arsenic and Old Lace, His Girl Friday
Robert Mitchum. Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, The Enemy Below
John Wayne. Everything. He’s John Wayne!
Gene Kelly and Jerry the Mouse
Tony Curtis. Operation Petticoat, The Great Imposter, The Defiant Ones
Audrey Hepburn. Charade, My Fair Lady,
Sidney Poitier. A Patch of Blue, Lilies of the Field
Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. Seven Days In May, Gunfight at the OK Corral
Glenn Ford. Gilda, Time Bomb, Imitation General, Advance to the Rear
Barbara Stanwyck. Lady of Burlesque, Ball of Fire, Double Indemnity

Name some of your favorite directors (between 1930 — 1965).... list some of the films of these stars that you like and why?

Alfred Hitchcock. North By Northwest, Spellbound, The Man Who Knew Too Much
John Ford. Stagecoach, The Cavalry Trilogy, The Quiet Man
William Wyler. Mrs. Miniver, Ben Hur, The Heiress,
Stanley Kramer. On the Beach, Inherit the Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg
Akira Kurosawa. The Seven Samurai (Best film ever made), The Throne of Blood (Best ever adaptation of “The Scottish Play”), The Hidden Fortress (The original version of Star Wars IV)
John Huston. The Red Badge of Courage, The List of Adrian Messenger, The Maltese Falcon
Fritz Lang. The Return of Frank James, The Woman in the Window, The Big Heat
Howard Hawks. The Big Sleep, Scarface, Land of the Pharaohs
Sergei Eisenstein. Alexander Nevsky, The Battleship Potemkin, the unfinished Ivan the Terrible trilogy
Nicholas Ray. Johnny Guitar, 55 Days at Peking, King of Kings
King Vidor. Stella Dallas, War and Peace, Northwest Passage
Staley Kubrick. Paths of Glory, The Killers, Spartacus,
Jean Renoir. French Cancan, The Rules of the Game, This Land is Mine
Billy Wilder. Seven Graves to Cairo, Stalag 17, The Spirit of St. Louis
Preston Sturges. The Lady Eve, Sullivan’s Travels, Hail the Conquering Hero
Busby Berkeley. Roman Scandals, Gold Diggers, Footlight Parade

What movies did you love growing up?

Citizen Kane, The Ten Commandments, Inherit the Wind, Earth Versus the Flying Saucers, Rio Bravo, Battle Cry, King Creole, Comancheros, A Night to Remember, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Cinderella, The Three Lives of Thomasina, Song of the South, Moon Pilot, Elvis Presley movies, John Wayne movies, Marx Brothers movies, Jerry Lewis movies, Tarzan movies, Steve Reeves movies, any movie with a spaceship in it

F W Murnau’s Sunrise, Salvadore Dali’s Un chien andalou, Eisenstein’s Battleship Potemkin, John Ford’s Cavalry Trilogy, Jean Cocteau’s Orphic Trilogy, Madame Satan, Lawrence of Arabia, The Conquest of Space, Pinocchio, Stanislaw Lem’s First Spaceship on Venus, Wizard of Oz, Fantasia, Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, Around the World in Eighty Days, Cleopatra (1934)

What film or performance do you think Oscar got it absolutely right on? (link goes to the database for help)

Sunrise, All Quiet on the Western Front, Grand Hotel, The Lost Weekend, Gentleman’s Agreement, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Victor McLaglen, Bing Crosby, Ray Milland, Broderick Crawford, Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, Katherine Hepburn (Morning Glory), Greer Garson, Olivia de Havilland (The Heiress), Judy Holiday, Shirley Booth, Ingrid Bergman (Anastasia)

Do you like the film All About Eve,…

Of course!

.. what do like…
I love the cast. The plot is excellent. You can see the Zanuck touch everywhere. Joseph L. Mankiewicz’s direction is stunning, probably his best work. It would be an illuminating exercise for LOTR purists to study how Makiewicz himself changed his original story for the screen. Some things just don’t transfer from page to screen and it’s a wise person who realizes it.

...or not like?

What’s not to like?

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2008, 2:13pm

Post #15 of 17 (30 views)
Shortcut
I'll take a shot at this [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I don't have time to answer all the questions and have only named a few of my favs ;)

Good Questions DoN! :D

Now Voyager
Harvey
The Philadelphia Story
The Uninvited
Bringing Up Baby
THEM!
The Thing (From Outer Space)
Some Like It Hot
The Quiet Man
Woman of the Year

Most are stories of common people overcoming their fears or limitations. The scifi/fantasy ones are just plain fun!

Name a few of your favorite stars (between 1930 — 1965)... list some of the films of these stars that you like.

John Wayne
Bette Davis
Katherine Hepburn – my, she was yaaaar.
Cary Grant
Jimmy Stewart
Ingrid Bergman – One of the most beautiful, captivating people I've ever seen
Gary Cooper
Walter Brennan

With almost everything they did, you could count on a consistent character, talent, and wonderful performances/storylines. That's what I like most about the old classics. Most of the time it was a feel good or emotional story and portrayal.

John Ford – great action/western flicks
Billy Wilder – always count on for classic love stories, etc.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 18 2008, 3:30pm

Post #16 of 17 (39 views)
Shortcut
how could I forget La Belle et la Bęte? [In reply to] Can't Post

the first movie I ever bought, after Bladerunner.

And Alexander Nevsky . . I'm going to learn "The Field of the Dead" one of these days.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 19 2008, 7:17am

Post #17 of 17 (50 views)
Shortcut
TCM [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all that info - you are a mine of excellent movie knowledge.
TCM is available here, but I don't have cable telly as it's out of my price range at the moment, especially now I am paying for internet. Wink If I got it I would have to have it as part of a package on Sky TV (NZ).
I will check out their website, though.

Luckily, I live only just down the road form what many consider to be the best dvd hire place in NZ, Alice in Videoland. They have a particularly good selection of classics and do some good deals for bulk hireage.
Hopefully my sister will be coming for a visit next holidays. She is rather into Joan and Bette and I expect there will be some excellent viewing to be had.

Aaah, the lovely Joan. I shall raise a glass to her on Sunday Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.