The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Thranduil v. Elrond (without his ring)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2014, 3:35am

Post #1 of 4 (4520 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil v. Elrond (without his ring) Can't Post

Elrond declines to use Vilya for this match.
Four rounds.

1. One on one on foot,
2. One on one, mounted,
3. Each one may call upon one offspring to help, 2 v 2 battle
4. Full army v full army on an open field of battle.

Elrond has the sword Hadhafang (sp?), which he wields to great effect. For purpose of this battle, remember, he declines to use his Elven ring of power. He declines to use the powers of summoning floods and of foresight. He rides a swift war horse of Rivendell. Wise and calculating, he is older and more experienced in battle. For round three he could call upon Arwen, Elladan or Elrohir. For round four he has the army of Rivendell, which appears to be strong on cavalry with an advantage on an open field.

Thranduil expertly wields two swords, may be the best swordsman Elf in Middle-earth in his time. Bold and aggressive. He has faced the Dragons of the North. For round 2 he rides a war elk. For round 3 he may call upon Legolas. For round 4 he has the Mirkwood army, which is strong on archers and swordsmen.

Bonus question for any who decide Thranduil would win: what if Elrond may use Vilya?

He was born of mortal frailty mixed with Elven fallen realm,
Comin’ home to a land he’d never been before.
Arvernian behind him, sailed the seas of Middle-earth,
You might say he didn’t know what lay in store.

When his wife came out to find him she'd been turned into a bird,
Upon her breast there shone a shining star,
So he took her to his bosom, and by morn her form returned,
And he shifted West to find the high Valar.

And in Valinor he went before the high,
In doing so, resigned himself to die.
Take up arms against the Shadow, asked he of the high,
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

lastnickleft
The Shire

Jan 12 2015, 6:02pm

Post #2 of 4 (4214 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Without Vilya, Thranduil and Elrond are beings of similar power, experience and age, though Thranduil is quite likely a little bit older than Elrond. In the books, Thranduil fought in the Last Alliance, killed the orcs that ambushed Isildur within the same time period, fought in the Battle of the Five Armies, the battle under the trees and kept the Woodland realm relatively safe through 3000 years. He also probably fought in the war between Sauron and the elves, the ruin of Doriath and some other events at the end of the first age. Elrond fought in the war between elves and Sauron, The last alliance, the war against Angmar (I guess) and nothing else I can recall. I think that Thranduil might have even better experience in terms of war, but given the importance of Elrond lets say it's a tie. I don't know who is a better fighter, in movie versions they are pretty close, as it should be, IMHO. Regarding sons, I think Elrohir, Elladan and Legolas are very close. Arwen has nothing to do here. In terms of armies, the woodland realm is far 8I mean, far) greater than Rivendell, even though in Rivendell are still some Noldor of incredible power, such as Glorfindel, whom could whip the floor of both Elrond and Thranduil. Nonetheless, I'll give the battlefield to Mirkwood, with heavy heavy casualties.

With ring there's no contest, Elrond wins, that's it.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 13 2015, 4:17pm

Post #3 of 4 (4368 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what combative power Vilya has?

In Reply To
With ring there's no contest, Elrond wins, that's it.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 24 2015, 5:04am

Post #4 of 4 (4180 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Elves' rings are more about shielding civilization from the decay of time than about helping them in a fight.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.