Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Mirror of Galadriel 6: "Do not touch the water!"

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 16 2008, 5:46pm

Views: 694
Shortcut
The Mirror of Galadriel 6: "Do not touch the water!" Can't Post

Well, it's Sunday afternoon here on the east coast and I haven't seen a post about the essential part of this chapter: the mirror itself and Galadriel's "test". So, hoping that Altaira is feeling better soon and that I'm not going to interfere with something she's planning to post later today (if so, she has the power to delete-edit-discipline me already, being the PTB and all anyway), let's talk a little bit about the Mirror.

1. Is the Mirror "magic"? Could any elf have figured out how to make the Mirror work, or is it a power of Galadriel's Ring that makes it so special?

2. Why does Galadriel tell Frodo not to touch the water?

3. There's a time difference in Lorien, of some kind...or a difference in the way one experiences time there. Is this fluid time related to the experience of looking in the Mirror and seeing things that may or may not have happened or will/won't happen?

4. If the Mirror is "dangerous as a guide of deeds", why does Galadriel want Sam and Frodo to gaze into it?

5. Does Frodo see Gandalf or Saruman in the Mirror?

After the mirror gazing, Galadriel reveals her ring to the hobbits, and Frodo offers her the One Ring. To me, this passage contains some of the strongest lyrical language in LOTR: those "footsteps of doom", that Queen "beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow on the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightening!"

6. "All shall love me and despair!". Comment?

Frodo asks directly why, if he is "permitted to wear the One Ring", he cannot "see all the others and know the thoughts of those that wear them" and Galadriel answers simply that he has not tried to do this. She strongly counsels him to not try it, because it would destroy him. For one thing, the Ring gives power according to the "measure" of its possessor, and before Frodo could attempt to use it this way, he would "have to train your will to the dominion of others".

7. Did Galadriel have this training, training in domination of other wills? Did Elrond?

8. Does this message of Galadriel's help us understand what happens when Frodo does command Gollum while wearing the Ring?

9. Any thoughts on the ending of this chapter?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Good night, little girls, thank the Lord you are well!
Now go to sleep" said Miss Clavel.
And she turned out the light and shut the door,
And that's all there is. There isn't any more.

(This post was edited by a.s. on Mar 16 2008, 5:48pm)

Subject User Time
The Mirror of Galadriel 6: "Do not touch the water!" a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 16 2008, 5:46pm
    Seeing with a keen eye FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 16 2008, 10:13pm
        Some [things] never come to be, unless those that behold the visions turn aside from their path to prevent them squire Send a private message to squire Mar 16 2008, 11:34pm
            Isn't that always the way with prophecies? FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 17 2008, 2:41pm
                The purpose of prophecy is to prove Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 19 2008, 3:41pm
                    Do they prove anything? FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 19 2008, 8:15pm
                        The Witch-king's is not a good case in point Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 19 2008, 10:55pm
                            I think prophecies tend to be true FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 19 2008, 11:17pm
                            A couple more thoughts FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 20 2008, 8:04am
                                We don't know who sends them. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 20 2008, 12:47pm
                                    The context of Tolkien's Times Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Mar 20 2008, 6:50pm
                                        Nice thoughts! Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 20 2008, 7:46pm
                                            The Closing of an Era sador Send a private message to sador Mar 20 2008, 11:40pm
                Note, by the way, the contrast with the Harry Potter Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 19 2008, 4:15pm
        isn't she "dominating" Sauron's will? a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 18 2008, 1:54am
            I don't think so FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 18 2008, 11:02am
    Some thoughts Modtheow Send a private message to Modtheow Mar 17 2008, 2:19am
        The last note... FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 17 2008, 9:04am
        Similarly, Aragorn breathes on lembas leaves. // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 22 2009, 8:07am
    Topic too good to pass up Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Mar 17 2008, 4:01am
        What would others have seen in the Mirror? // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 22 2009, 8:07am
            It depends. Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Mar 22 2009, 9:32pm
            The mirror functions much like Galadriel's staring contest. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 22 2009, 10:16pm
    Do not disturb the water, and doors that work differently... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 17 2008, 2:07pm
        good comparison! a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 18 2008, 2:05am
        Book-Frodo becomes Film-Aragorn at Moria-gate. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 22 2009, 8:08am
    "As long as it is in the world, it will be a danger even to the Wise" sador Send a private message to sador Mar 17 2008, 9:15pm
        Nice thought about Gollum. // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 22 2009, 8:09am
    A speculation on the Mirror's Origin... Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Mar 17 2008, 11:23pm
        The mind boggles at the image you conjure up squire Send a private message to squire Mar 18 2008, 12:49am
            Priceless!// Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 19 2008, 6:43pm
        seriously (not that I doubt squire is serious) a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 18 2008, 1:27am
            Hand signals? Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Mar 18 2008, 2:54am
    Possibly my most beloved scene in the whole of LotR... mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Mar 18 2008, 1:50pm
    On Elf-magic Daeorn Aldalómë Send a private message to Daeorn Aldalómë Mar 18 2008, 2:08pm
    Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Mar 19 2008, 5:02pm
    Sam sees himself on an “endless winding stair”. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 22 2009, 8:06am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.