Are the Peter Jackson films considered

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Dec 28 2014, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 14 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Are the Peter Jackson films considered Can't Post

a European creation?
Someone just told me that Americans had nothing to do with the films and take no credit for their success...
then I tried to name American actors in the films.....
(we make good hobbits and elves)..

Liv Tyler, Frodo ?, Aragon, Lee Pace....

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 4:46pm

Post #2 of 14 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget Dean Astin and Brad Dourif (Wormtoongue)! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Dec 28 2014, 4:57pm

Post #3 of 14 (1108 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel !!...Evangiline Lily....right [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 5:05pm

Post #4 of 14 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Oh - good grief, embarrassing typo - Sean not Dean! [In reply to] Can't Post

honestly, why'd they have to go and put the S and D next to each other on my keyboard??? Crazy

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 5:06pm

Post #5 of 14 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Uh, well...she's Canadian... [In reply to] Can't Post

so yeah, close enough! Wink

¯ Victoria Monfort

Moahunter
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 11:04pm

Post #6 of 14 (1080 views)
Shortcut
European??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Huhh!!!!!
I thought they were created in New Zealand.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 29 2014, 2:36am

Post #7 of 14 (1063 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand genius, American money [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Seems to be a happy combination!

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

(This post was edited by Elarie on Dec 29 2014, 2:43am)

demnation
Rohan

Dec 29 2014, 3:37am

Post #8 of 14 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Well they were made with American money [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'd say a co NZ/US production.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 6:12pm

Post #9 of 14 (1015 views)
Shortcut
additionally, New Line Studios, who paid for it, are a US business // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 29 2014, 8:50pm

Post #10 of 14 (1023 views)
Shortcut
US/NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally speaking, the nationality of a film is determined by the nationality of its production company(s). The Hobbit films' production companies were New Line (US), MGM (US), and Wingnut Films (NZ).

Various other criteria (location of studio filming, language(s) used, nationality of lead actors and senior crew members, etc.) may be required for other purposes such as qualification for nation specific awards and such.

"We were somewhere around Cerin Amroth, in the heart of Elvendom, when the miruvor began to take hold."

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 30 2014, 8:00pm

Post #11 of 14 (992 views)
Shortcut
The films were made in NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

but they are US films

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Dec 30 2014, 10:50pm

Post #12 of 14 (993 views)
Shortcut
Barrie Osborne, producer, [In reply to] Can't Post

Mark Ordesky, producer; Rick Porras, co-producer, all American. Mark was the one responsible for shuttling back and forth between PJ and New Line officials. He often took Peter's side and made sure that the studio interference was kept to a minimum. Barrie orchestrated an enormously difficult production.

And Bob Shaye, co-founder and head of New Line, was the only one in Hollywood willing to take on the project when Disney wanted to reduce it to one feature film. He's the one who suggested it be made as three.

Americans, all. Yes, in many ways this is a New Zealand film, with international participation, but there were some powerful and dedicated Americans who made it happen, and an American company that financed it.

Europe had very little to do with it.

Kristin

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Dec 31 2014, 3:38pm

Post #13 of 14 (974 views)
Shortcut
thanks Kristin...looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

major producers are American with NZ screenwriters and studios.....actors are a mix with USA providing a lot of tall elves....
Tolkien British of course which makes original source European...

seems like New Zealanders speak with British accents which confuses Yanks like me....

Annael
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 9:09pm

Post #14 of 14 (982 views)
Shortcut
yeah, I always thought of them as a New Zealand product [In reply to] Can't Post

and it seems like New Zealand thinks so too . . .

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.