Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
NEW! Official Hobbit movie reviews - post them here!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2014, 1:40am

Post #1 of 86 (8885 views)
Shortcut
NEW! Official Hobbit movie reviews - post them here! Can't Post

Our first thread reached over 300 posts, so it's time to start a new one!

Post your Hobbit reviews here, and discuss away.

Link to previous review thread: ==== > Earlier Thread

Faramir5
Bree

Dec 29 2014, 1:51am

Post #2 of 86 (6722 views)
Shortcut
My Review/The Moments I Loved [In reply to] Can't Post

While this is a review, I honestly have to say that there was VERY LITTLE of which I disliked. This post mainly concerns what I loved about it, and I hope that it can serve as a reminder of moments you loved as well. I also made some remarks about the CGI. :)

Just a few moments I LOVED:

1. Galadriel going crazy on Sauron and the Nazgul. As one of the oldest beings in Middle-earth and arguably the most powerful Elf, it seems reasonable that she would have accumulated all that power in her lifetime. I loved how her "state of rage” was similar to Fellowship of the Ring (except it was even more intense here).

2. Alfrid as a constant comic relief through out the movie.

3. Bilbo’s acorn.

4. When Thorin and the others join Dain in battle. I loved how there was no hesitance! They didn't stop once they blasted through the front wall...they just kept going!

5. Legolas jumping on the rocks during his fight with Bolg. Plus it didn't looked super CGI!

6. Beorn’s arrival…though it’s a darn shame we only saw about 5 seconds of him fighting! One of the most bada** moments of the whole film was him transforming in mid air and then wrecking!

7. When Legolas threw Orcrist at an orc to save/help Thorin. This obviously was a returned favor from when Thorin tossed a sword at an orc sneaking up on Legolas in Desolation of Smaug.

8. Azog and Bolg’s deaths. I could go on and on about the little details I loved about these fight scenes and how they died, but I won’t. I will mention, though, that I loved how Thorin threw down his sword and tossed the end of the mace to Azog in an attempt to drown him. I thought that, along with the underwater Azog, was creative and brilliant!

9. All three dwarf-deaths are brilliantly executed (no pun intended). Besides the fact that I already knew who would die, Fili’s death came out of no where. As the first major death, it catches the audience unexpectedly. The best comparison I can think of at the moment is Gwen Stacy’s death in the latest Spiderman movie. The heartbreak of Kili’s death would not exist if not for Tauriel (Sorry, book purists and Tauriel haters, but it’s true. I, for one, love the addition of Tauriel and the romance). I loved how Peter Jackson took his time with that emotional moment between Kili and Tauriel. Tauriel’s final dialogue with Thranduil about love is a nice touch as well. Thorin’s death speech to Bilbo was beautiful. There came a point in the movie where the audience had enough of Thorin’s stupidity and anger…so Thorin’s tender speech was the perfect release of tension that we needed in order for his death to be "satisfying".

10. Thranduil’s reference to Strider (aka Aragorn). I could barely stay in my seat!

11. There was this kind of emotional shock at the end which I absolutely loved! Every character was different because of the battle. Thranduil opens up and is understanding. Legolas isn’t a punk anymore and chooses to start a new life. Tauriel is totally vulnerable and desperate.

12. Ending dialogue from Fellowship of the Ring. - At first I was very worried about the ending... Bilbo taking out his ring and the Corruption of the Ring theme starts playing. I was worried that the movie would end there as a “This story is over, but uh oh! The Ring still exists! Now you have to watch The Lord of the Rings!” As soon as it flash forwarded to Ian Holm as Bilbo and the eery music ceased and Gandalf arrived at the door…I was content as content can be. There couldn’t be a more perfect ending to the Hobbit trilogy (and a great lead into LOTR).

13. Credits: Drawings + Music. Probably the most heartfelt and beautiful credits I've ever sat through.

- - - - - - - -

Positive CGI Moments:

1. You just have to accept that Orlando Bloom is 10+ years older and they did what they could to try to make him look younger.

2. While there were many unbelievable stunts, they didn’t seem as CGI as in the previous two movies. Was Legolas jumping from rock to rock in slow motion ridiculous? Yes. Did it look amazing? YES! Did it give me chills? You bet it did!

3. The elk looked pretty darn real (compared to AUJ)

4. Azog and Bolg looked a lot more raw and real. Especially when Thorin and Azog stab each other…the close up on Azog looks great.

- - - - - - - -

Negative CGI Moments:

1. Dain’s face seemed CGI - especially when he has his helmet on. ***Ok, now I've read that his character was entirely CGI/Motion Capture. That makes sense.

2. Some of the enemy designs (ex: trolls) were a bit far-fetched and too odd looking. CGI and kiddish.

(This post was edited by Faramir5 on Dec 29 2014, 1:51am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Dec 29 2014, 10:46am

Post #3 of 86 (6645 views)
Shortcut
Less a review, more an observation of my reactions + favourite points [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Faramir5 for your positive thoughts! It helped connect me to mine. But first, the tale of my reaction:

BotFA has finally arrived in Australia, and I made up for lost time by seeing it twice in a 24 hour period. I needed to. My first viewing, in spite of being at Imax, left me feeling so…. so unfulfilled somehow, and a little upset (though this could also be from the emotional content, and “The Last Goodbye” which was the only time I almost shed a tear). I felt I needed an almost immediate viewing (well, after some sleep) to help me chill the heck out about it all. About what BotFA lacked that I was expecting and hoping for.

This was a first for me to experience. Right through all other five movies, I have been very happy with them all. How had I set up such expectations on this one? Then I realised this is actually the first time I’ve been on TORn in the lead-up to the release, and partaken in all the excitement and expectation. (having originally joined TORn after ROTK, and rejoined after DoS). Just sayin’. I’m not meaning to blame this amazing forum, or my participation here, which has been so engrossing in the past few months. But yeah, it was a whole new thing for me to go in with some expectations - ones I was so sure would be met.

My second viewing (2D) was much more satisfying, now that I'd had to accept that there's no funeral and leave-taking, no knowing Tauriel’s fate, no explaining the personal significance of the White Gems of Lasgalen, not enough of the Master. And I understand these things would take screen time away from Bilbo's arc, for this TE anyway.

So back to the theatre, gripes over, peace made. I was able to relax, keenly watch for details I'd missed the first time, fully engage and connect with the emotional content. And basically, I loved it. I can’t stop thinking about it, so I know now that it has affected me the same way as all the previous films. And this 2nd time, the emotion afterwards came from within the story, not from unresolved issues.

A few of my favourite moments and observations:

- The immediate plunging into high suspense. The emotion and tension where Bard balances the bow on his son’s shoulder is something I’d not usually expect to feel until the climax of a film. And the stone-like look on Smaug’s face as the life passes out of it.

- Galadriel’s initial power blast, before she goes fully nuke. Go Glads! She does seem more like a maia here – is her ring the source of her powers? She learnt some tricks from Melian, IIRC…

- More Alfrid. Yay! The DoS EE made a Ryan Gage fan of me, and I wasn’t disappointed with his extra screen time, though there were clearly some cheesy moments. I had speculated that we may see a better side of Alfrid come to the fore, but I guess once a weasel, always a weasel, in this case.

- I enjoyed Legolas on screen - more than I ever did in LOTR - Tetris bridge stunts and all. I guess I prefer this slightly darker Mirkwood soldier. Plus, running out of arrows. It’s like a little joke from the writer triumvirate: “Ah ha! All these movies and you still think he has a bottomless quiver?”

- The Elven army leaping the dwarven phalanx. I’m all “Aw! See what happens when you work together?” then realised they weren’t, actually. Geeky observation: there are way more blonde elves than are apparent in Mirkwood, DoS.

- Thorin, dude! Have you never seen Fatal Attraction?

- “They’ve taken Stone Street!” LOL - I see what you did there (PJ’s studio lot address)

- "Leave Sauron to me," Oooh, cold shiver of pre-knowledge.

- Tauriel and Kili. Yep, I’m one of the few that ships this. Their conversation on the shore of the lake plucked at my heart strings, and set that emotional undercurrent in motion for me. I did however think the lingering facial shots during K’s death scene reduced the impact. Fili’s death was far more sudden and shocking.

- Many Thorin moments: throwing his crown from his head, the discussion with Bard through the hole, and where he speaks with Bilbo, his voice distorting and coming to sounding more like Smaug. The editing cuts here, without really changing angles, was very effective in elevating the tension / madness.

- The courage of Bilbo, going back to confess that it was he who'd taken the Arkenstone. Such courage, in the face of probable extreme anger. (I'll be inspired to think of this scene should I ever be bracing myself for a confrontation.)

- Bain riding down the hillside on that solid Kunekune pig. Classic! Such a great shot.

- The battering ram troll (made me LOL), and other huge creatures with pointy armoured hands. I guess this is where a prequel can show up a later trilogy. Those war beasts looks far more practical and multi-functional than mumakil.

- Azog's big scary flag signal structure. Its presence tapped into something nightmarish for me.

- As the life passes out of Thorin, the way Bilbo kind of hunkers down beside him and tries to draw his attention to the eagles. That punched a hole in my heart.

- The look on Bilbo's face back in Bag End when he realises he still has the Ring. This is one thing I hoped for that was realised, and was even better.

- Every micro-second of Thranduil screen time. Especially his very tense altercation with Tauriel. But I will be saving this particular discussion for the appropriate Appreciation Thread. Wink

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Dec 29 2014, 10:59am

Post #4 of 86 (6542 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

When Legolas threw Orcrist at an orc to save/help Thorin. This obviously was a returned favor from when Thorin tossed a sword at an orc sneaking up on Legolas in Desolation of Smaug.

Oh yes, this was also a moment I appreciated! It's also a lovely moment because this is where Orcrist is returned to Thorin, after it was taken from him in Mirkwood. I didn't realise Legolas has been carrying it ever since. With his awareness of its ancient heritage, it has likely become special to him.

In canon, I believe Orcrist is only returned to Thorin on his death bed, when it is laid by Thranduil on his breast. But I like this movie inclusion, in which Thorin can note its return to him, and you see how he looks at it. I wonder if Legolas also acknowledges that return, with the momentary pause before he throws it.

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Dec 29 2014, 11:03am)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 12:31pm

Post #5 of 86 (6675 views)
Shortcut
SECOND VIEWING YESTERDAY [In reply to] Can't Post

CGI and specially on Landscapes-BEST I HAVE SEEN EVER
(Im sure LOTR movies would have improved with this CGI)
Richard Armitage OSCAR WORTHY
The Music- SPECTACULAR- in par to LOTR, though this movie goes so fast that there is barely a few moments when nothing is happening and so the music can shine (I loved the wirly tiwsts of the music(I dont know how is called this musical figure) in Smaug theme as he is flying to Esgaroth and prepparing to blow his first shot of fire. This little arrangment is like wind , I loved it, PURE FANTASY

THE ATTACK OF THORIN´S COMPANY WHEN THE BATTLE IS GOING ILL- In par to Theoden´s in ROTK charge moment.

Deaths, this second vewing I got more shocked than the first one

AWESOME MOVIE

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 29 2014, 12:49pm

Post #6 of 86 (6555 views)
Shortcut
"gripes over, peace made." [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if this is a commonality, but people I spoke to, seemed to have to "settle", as did I, in that sense too.

Anyway, loved your observations as listed. And looking forward to discussing ThranduilHeart with you in TAAngelic

In Reply To
- Galadriel’s initial power blast, before she goes fully nuke. Go Glads! She does seem more like a maia here – is her ring the source of her powers? She learnt some tricks from Melian, IIRC…

I wished they'd not let her go full nukey here. She's strutting stuff, not fending off the internal greed and the Ring's draw as in LotR

In Reply To
- I enjoyed Legolas on screen - more than I ever did in LOTR - Tetris bridge stunts and all. I guess I prefer this slightly darker Mirkwood soldier. Plus, running out of arrows. It’s like a little joke from the writer triumvirate: “Ah ha! All these movies and you still think he has a bottomless quiver?”

That joke was appreciated, but man... the tetris bridge was taking things abit too far into the beyond, for me.

In Reply To
- The Elven army leaping the dwarven phalanx. I’m all “Aw! See what happens when you work together?” then realised they weren’t, actually. Geeky observation: there are way more blonde elves than are apparent in Mirkwood, DoS.

Love the improv, but here is where i wish there was some pow-wow and coordination among the leaders. But really? Blondes? I thought redheads were prevalent.

In Reply To
- Thorin, dude! Have you never seen Fatal Attraction?

I'm not quite getting this... Evil

In Reply To
- “They’ve taken Stone Street!” LOL - I see what you did there (PJ’s studio lot address)

Ha! No wonder i feel a niggle at the mention both times. Great catch!

In Reply To
- "Leave Sauron to me," Oooh, cold shiver of pre-knowledge.

LOVED that delivery.Heart

In Reply To
- The look on Bilbo's face back in Bag End when he realises he still has the Ring. This is one thing I hoped for that was realised, and was even better.

I thought he always knew. At the border to the Shire, the exchange between him and Gandalf seemed to end in a chide by Gandalf on Bilbo's attempt at disingenuity.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 7:58pm

Post #7 of 86 (6478 views)
Shortcut
The Fatal Attraction reference [In reply to] Can't Post

is in relation to a seemingly dead character suddenly leaping into very dangerous life from under water, which is a pivotal scene between two main characters in this film. If you have ever heard the term 'bunny boiler', it comes from this film too.
On a side note, if you are interested in feminist discourse around movies, this is a very interesting one to explore.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 30 2014, 9:45am

Post #8 of 86 (6349 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

That's starting to shake some dust off cobbywebbed corners now.

As for feminist discourse, I will politely decline. Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 30 2014, 8:17pm

Post #9 of 86 (6377 views)
Shortcut
Second showing [In reply to] Can't Post

Me and my mom walked out ...

... because she was squeezing in the movie before an appointment Tongue

I shouldn't speak for her but I caught her on the edge of her seat, literally. I think I also caught her falling asleep during LOTRs.
We went to the 3D HFR this time. I think it was amazing in 3D HFR. They were using it to get the focus on all the best character faces and moments this time! Super!

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 31 2014, 8:36pm

Post #10 of 86 (6272 views)
Shortcut
It is rather common, at least for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've experienced that, to varying extents, in every single Hobbit/LOTR film. I think it's just something book firsters have to deal with - our preconceptions of what the film should be like versus what we eventually get - and having to deal with feeling like something is missing/wrong as a result.

I feel like I had to "settle" more for BOFA compared to the rest of the films - there were some scenes I couldn't connect with - even though I quite enjoyed the film overall the first time round.

batik
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2014, 8:57pm

Post #11 of 86 (6334 views)
Shortcut
already thinking of the EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

My first viewing was in 3D and my 2nd was in 2D. I guess I can speak to that first. There was very little benefit, for me, to seeing BotFA in 3D. That's lifting the lid off an old debate and I'll simply leave it at this: 3D is not for me!
Onward! With an attempt to more or less group my thoughts somewhat coherently.
Characters: Biggest, by far, LotR "squee" moment was seeing Galadriel, Saruman, Elrond, and Gandalf together at DG. Trumped their meeting back at Rivendell for me. Alas, I felt there could have been a bit more here. BUT--what was there was most excellent. Great connection for Galadriel's dark queen moment in FotR. Freeman's Bilbo--so well played! The 3 (once or future) Kings: Bard, Thranduil, and Thorin. The surprise *like* for me was Pace as Thranduil. (Maybe his rockin' wardrobe has an influence on that!) Each had his own way of protecting "home" and I think that was well shown. Oh! It was good to see Radagast again as well, albeit briefly. Another surprise was my acceptance of Tauriel as a player. I had a major eye-roll moment with that character in DoS. :D I suppose being left with the "I wonder what happens to her?" thought supports the notion that this character was brought to life. I enjoyed watching Legolas as well. On the plus side--we got that 'seek Strider' piece and the 'no arrows!' moment; on the minus--weird eyes! Dain was a major let down---likely THE major letdown. Sufficient screen time, just messy.
Scenes: Of course, DG comes in at #1. (Did I say there could have been *more* here?) Smaug at Laketown (another part I felt was rushed); Thorin's overcoming of his desire for ALL in the gold-plated hall and his moments with Bilbo, Dwalin, Balin, and Bard--all thoughtful bits; Bilbo's meeting with TPTB--nice blend of serious and funny.
CGI: Dain (bad); orcs and trolls (good); Beorn (um, in 60 seconds!?)
Story: Bilbo goes out into the wide, wide world and comes across all sorts of new experiences-- gains and loses friends and witnesses others doing the same--engages in battle with all sorts of fantastic "creatures"--and in the end, I think of that fussy, passive Hobbit from AUJ and then...look at him when he returns to find his home invaded! He's so confident and capable! Well done!!
And now for the Too Much of a Cool Thing Award: OK! I totally remember thinking how cool the elves at Helm's Deep looked/sounded as they formed ranks. And the *first* time this was used in BotFA was a great nod to that moment.
A final, overall impression: Some scenes felt rushed or incomplete. Thus, already thinking of the EE.

(This post was edited by batik on Dec 31 2014, 9:00pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jan 1 2015, 6:14am

Post #12 of 86 (6222 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've experienced that, to varying extents, in every single Hobbit/LOTR film. I think it's just something book firsters have to deal with - our preconceptions of what the film should be like versus what we eventually get - and having to deal with feeling like something is missing/wrong as a result.

I feel like I had to "settle" more for BOFA compared to the rest of the films - there were some scenes I couldn't connect with - even though I quite enjoyed the film overall the first time round.

Interestingly, I don't feel this so acutely as book firsters in other movies. I don't have the complusive need to go in for secondses, and I never do, with other fandoms. Only ME makes me do this.

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXXI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX | XXX

=======

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 11:28am

Post #13 of 86 (6302 views)
Shortcut
A few thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

1 Bard steals the show!

I do think that he does a bit. Not only does he kill the dragon, but he does seem to have an awful lot of active screen time, rallying the lake-town people, negotiating with Thorin, dealing with Alfrid, dashing around etc. Oh, and about Alfrid, I was not totally opposed to that character and did think that he was played well, but he was a little bit of a one-dimensional character. And is Bard a little bit too forgiving of him? Not only sparing him, but giving him important jobs to do, each one of which Alfrid mucks up and laughs when Alfrid takes the gold. If this was real-life or Shakespeare, Alfrid would have had a rope around his neck double-quick and quite possibly justified!

2 The Doctor saves the day!

An old-school Doctor as well. As in Radagast, played by Sylvester McCoy leads the Eagles in their game-changing appearance in the battle. And Sylvester McCoy played the last of the old Doctor's really in the eighties. So the Doctor saves the day again. As it happens, I quite liked the Radagast character.

3 Legolas, Tauriel and the CGI

Must admit, that I could not really see much point in those sub-plots and all of the CGI which went into them, Legolas's stunts etc. Save possiby in making the studio more money which is a point I suppose! It was way too long and distracted I think from Bilbo's story. In fact, I think the scrap at Ravenhill was way too long, I nearly fell asleep during that part!

4 I felt a bit of empathy with the Dwarves.

Even though they were in the wrong, it would have been unpleasant at least to suffer a long-drawn out siege of the Elves and Men and one could sympathize with their happiness when Dain and his army arrives. I will confess that I quite liked Dain, well played by Billy Connelly despite him been around 6ft 5ins not quite a Dwarf in height!

5 Other points

I wasn't sure about Thranduil, I think that PJ could have lightened him up a bit, rather than the greedy way he was portrayed, he was almost more keen to slay the Dwarves than the Orcs, I felt, and in the same way with Thorin. In the book, it is much more subtle than just Thorin going mad with gold-lust, he does offer those of lake-town a fair aid if they withdraw their army rather than just saying no as he does in the film. Still, I have to say that is fairly typical of PJ, he does like to muck about with characters with no good reason sometimes, and does not like subtle ones.

5 it's all in the EE

If I had a one of your old-fashioned English pounds for every time I read someone here say, 'this scene was rushed but it will be sorted out in the EE,' I think I would have around 50 quid as I have heard this a few times. Which is firstly a bit optimistic about the EE and secondly, if everything is in the EE, why watch the film in the theatre? And another question actually, is it possible to watch the EE edition in a big-screen theatre?

Anyway, those are my thoughts, overall not as good as the book with many unnecessary IMHO changes, but still better than many other movies, worth going to see, though I have my doubts if it is justified in raking in nearly a billion dollars worldwide. Still, Happy New Year.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 5 2015, 12:17am

Post #14 of 86 (6224 views)
Shortcut
Not a review really [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just a collection of impressions and thoughts. I didn't feel like my ramblings deserved a thread, so I hope I can put them here.

I just came home after seeing BO5A (3D HFR) the third time, and I'm still not fully here but partly "there". What can i say, I just love these movies. They are not perfect in every detail, but they still manage to transport me into a different world and capture my heart, and there are so many many things that are just right.

Some feelings and observations this third time around...

- I adore Smaug, as much as one can adore a villain or a beast or an enemy to be gotten rid of. I think he's amazingly realized from the tip of his tail to the depth of his voice. I like the emphasis he puts on certain words, and he has a very expressive face for a reptile-like creature. When he perished it was naturally a relief, but I also felt a twinge of sorrow for the loss of the last great dragon of Middle Earth. May the Laketown refugees & Erebor dwarves keep his legend alive in the stories tey tell their children.

- Preaching to the choir here, but anyway, Armitage is Thorin and Freeman is Bilbo, supremely. I especially loved their scenes together.

- I liked Dain a lot and wished there had been more of him. The accent bothered me for the first minute he spoke - not because I don't like it but because it reminded me of this Earth, not Middle Earth - and then it just became part of the character and was natural.

- When the dwarves were searching for the Arkenstone by Thorin's command, they were only looking at the top level of the treasure piles. There must be several feet's worth of gold in any given spot. How could they presume that the Arkenstone would be sitting on top in plain view? What it was buried closer to the floor and needed to be really digged up with shovels? I know it was in plain view in DOS, but I don't see how the dwarves could expect to find it just by scanning the top level.

- I loved the musical score and the way it heightens the scenes. I wish it was a little more audible (especially in battle it tends to fall to the background). And I loved all horns blowing, whether by dwarf, elf or human.

- I know that Alfrid supposedly "had to be there" for comic relief, but it only worked the first time. Now I found myself thinking back to the previous scene, whatever it had been, every time he was on the screen - sort of blocking him out.

- The elves in Thranduil's army don't look like the Silvan elves in DOS. They were more blond or "dark blond". Sindar? But why? The Mirkwood elves in spider hunting party had darker hair.

- Waiting for more Beorn in the EE...!

- The brutality of Fili's death really hit me this time. From the second Azog dragged him to view, I felt adrenalin and the physical "fight or flight" response. No way to do either, so felt a little choked up. I remember that when Azog impaled him my eyes involuntarily shut in "I don't want to see this" reaction. (Just watched a clip of the scene in youtube and saw Dwalin having the exact same reaction, turning his face away.)

- Kili's death moved me less now than in previous viewings, but I teared up once again with Bilbo over Thorin's death. It's impossible not to when he chokes up trying to say "Eagles..." Thranduil's discussion with Legolas momentarily took me away from this anguish, but the pain on Thranduil's face (just after Legolas had left) got me surprisingly strong. The lines of pain on Tauriel's face vividly reminded me of the loss of my own loved ones. Her saying "Why does it hurt so much?" in all its naivety makes it clear that she has never loved like this before, and never lost. She is completely engulfed by this new devastating emotion. And Thranduil's admission of the authenticity of her feelings takes her by surprise, makes her frown in realization; the anguish of having lost a loved one is almost identical on their faces, especially eyes.

- ...And straight on some more tears to fall when watching the dwarves gathered around Thorin on the ice, and then smiling through tears when Gandalf sat quietly by Bilbo, trying to clear his pipe. Sometimes words are not needed.

- The second time I saw BO5A I remember being touched by Bilbo's "Tea is at four" when saying goodbye to the dwarves; this time I was moved when seeing the remaining ten dwarves for the last time, from Bilbo's POV, backing away from them and leaving Erebor and adventure behind.

I'm not the type that usually cries in movies, so although there was no real sobbing this obviously hit home in some special way. After the movie I felt empty and heavy at the same time. A bit unreal still to be in this everyday world of only humans. ;) And the first clear thought when leaving the theater was "This was too short and went by way too quickly!" It feels shorter every time I see it.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jan 5 2015, 12:23am)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 5 2015, 6:54pm

Post #15 of 86 (6089 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie really benefits from several viewings, because the first time I was somewhat disappointed with all the loose ends (funeral, Dain's coronation, Thranduil's gems, what happened to Bard & Beorn & Tauriel etc. all that). Second and third time I knew what was coming ans what was not, so it was easier to just go with the film's flow. But still hoping for more closure in the final version, EE - aren't we all...

turinsonofhurin

Jan 6 2015, 10:33am

Post #16 of 86 (6098 views)
Shortcut
Third viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally for me the pro's in this movie outweigh the cones.
The scenes between Thorin, Bilbo and Gandalf were fantastic, 'Dragon sickness' was done brilliantly and Thorins charge and Death scene for me made the film.
Martin freeman once again proves how perfect he is as Bilbo,providing us with some awesome facial gestures and mannerisms specific to Bilbo.
Nearly all the acting done by the other actors, during the film was really fulfilling. Most notably Christopher Lee was excellent sadly though he was only briefly there. Bard was great and obviously Smaug was too. Balin and Dwalin after more and more viewings became some of my favourites, these are only to name a few.

The list does go on with so many pro's, however unfortunately this brings us to the cons which in truth were really bad. Tauriel and Kili's dialogue to me was horrible and cringeworthy, "you make me feel alive" was just too much. Meanwhile, Legolas had the potential to be a character that could have some new depth i.e. with his dead mother and everything.
Yet his OTT scenes 'floating on falling stones' just took me out of the moment.
The reason Tauriel most of all irritates me though, is not that she is a made up character, but she is completely out of place. Her dialogue is just lacking any real gravitas and just a bit to modern.

Despite this though, I still think these are my second favourite movies behind lotr. PJ's film in my view is very much successful, the masses of work, time and effort are staggering. Along with how successful the pro's were it truly outweigh the cons, despite what critics says. PJ's storytelling for these films was great.

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 10:34pm

Post #17 of 86 (6108 views)
Shortcut
Deeply flawed movie [In reply to] Can't Post

After four viewings: it is a very mediocre movie border-lining good quite often but also horrible too often. Sometimes but very rarely it comes close to being great. Biggest issue is the unused potential and the horrible structuring of the trilogy as a whole.

6/10 (with a nostalgia and investment bonus)

Just not a very good movie IMHO. Much worse than AUJ and worse than DoS!

Still a fun trip to Middle-earth. But it makes me mad to see how easily this could have ended up to be so much more satisfying for me (and surely many others).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jan 6 2015, 10:41pm)

Silmelindë

Jan 8 2015, 9:51am

Post #18 of 86 (6052 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Trilogy Review [In reply to] Can't Post

For my review of this trilogy, though focusing on the third film, see here: http://perspectivesandreviews.wordpress.com

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2015, 12:44pm

Post #19 of 86 (5943 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully, beautifully written in its simplicity... [In reply to] Can't Post

What you wrote brought tears into my eyes again and again, several times. Thank you for this testimony... Smile

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 8 2015, 1:31pm

Post #20 of 86 (5940 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the film six times now, and with each viewing I see more and I appreciate it more. Visually it is spectacularly beautiful and inventive – I've simply never seen anything like it before. I additionally think the emotional moments are beyond anything I've experienced in cinema before, largely due to Richard Armitage's Thorin and Martin Freeman' Bilbo, though I also very much enjoyed the performances of Luke Evans and Lee Pace. Smaug is out of this world, and the initial scenes, with the burning of the town, Smaug perched on the rooftops, and Bard and his son, are simply incredible – and moving.

The music in the film is not as 'in one's face' and 'hummable' as is the music in the LotR films, but on really listening to it I find it more complex and highly appropriate for the film. Billy Boyd's song is absolutely right in the context.

My sister (an acclaimed artist and very visual) saw the film the first time this week and she was bowled over by it. She said she loved things like the choreography of the Elves, the costumes, RA's nuanced performance, the appearance of the ice in the final fight scene, Smaug's attack, and so on. My brother-in-law (another artist), who doesn't like fantasy in general and has never read Tolkien, also thinks it is a very well made film, and he enjoyed it (which surprises me, given how fussy he is about such things).

For me, BoFA is the best of the six ME films (replacing FoTR), though given how much visual techniques have improved since the FotR films were made, and the generally better choice of actors for The Hobbit films, I don't think the two trilogies should really be compared. BoFA is a unique, absolutely incredible achievement.

I trust we will get at least 45 minutes more of character content in the EE.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2015, 1:32pm

Post #21 of 86 (6002 views)
Shortcut
Many points in your Review, with which I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

completely. It seems to me that you have missed entirely the importance of the genuine love between the two kindred spirits, Tauriel and Kili. not only for themselves. but for a deeply needed change first of all in Legolas but in Thranduil as well, opening up Mirkwood to new possiilities of harmonious collaboration with its neighbours and with the rest of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth.

Rather than trying to discuss everything here, perhaps I should invite you to see what my perspective is on that whole 'Hobbit' Trilogy. My own Review relating more to this last film is also on WordPress, if you are interested:

http://labofevolution.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-my-review/

A previous Review of mine, focused on the first two films of this new Trilogy, was posted in March 2014, which gives my overall perspective on this adaptation of the book by Peter Jackson and team.:

http://labofevolution.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-a-researchers-late-review/

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2015, 1:42pm

Post #22 of 86 (5956 views)
Shortcut
Really sorry for you that you are disappointed; [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish my own enthusiasm for this film could help, but I doubt it, so I don't even try!!! Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 8 2015, 3:05pm

Post #23 of 86 (5943 views)
Shortcut
What an Extensive READ...mae!!.. you GO to the TOP of [In reply to] Can't Post

Of Bomby's List of

people who understand
Not only Tolkien but
Peter Jackson...

WOOT, WOODY, Woot WOOT

{Bomby who is currently in Wooten Manor }

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Silmelindë

Jan 8 2015, 7:10pm

Post #24 of 86 (5943 views)
Shortcut
Some additional thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Having looked at your reviews, I cannot say we understand one other, which is fine. You have some understandable points, yet I think you might reassess some of them if you were to have another, deeper look at the books (and not just the Hobbit and LOTR). Of course I understand the didactic point of the Tauriel/Kili romance, but my point was that such a side story 1) subverts the overall flow of the plot, 2) has a clearly artificial feeling with the rest of the film itself (even leaving the essence of the books out of it), and 3) it is not absolutely necessary for every good epic film to have a romantic love. The flighty, pragmatic side of Tauriel (which emerges in conjunction with Kili), feels very misplaced, even for a Nando (have a look at the latter sections of Morgoth's Ring).

And as a side note, the perception of the Hobbit as a children's bedtime story is just that, a perception. The author's own intent can be seen firsthand in a 1967 interview http://www.nytimes.com/...-interview.html?_r=0:

"The Hobbit" wasn't written for children, and it certainly wasn't done just for the amusement of Tolkien's three sons and one daughter, as is generally reported. "That's all sob stuff. No, of course, I didn't. If you're a youngish man and you don't want to be made fun of, you say you're writing for children. At any rate, children are your immediate audience and you write or tell them stories, for which they are mildly grateful: long rambling stories at bedtime.

"'The Hobbit' was written in what I should now regard as bad style, as if one were talking to children. There's nothing my children loathed more. They taught me a lesson. Anything that in any way marked out 'The Hobbit' as for children instead of just for people, they disliked-instinctively. I did too, now that I think about it. All this 'I won't tell you any more, you think about it' stuff. Oh no, they loathe it; it's awful.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 8 2015, 7:11pm

Post #25 of 86 (5902 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your beautiful words, mae govannen! I'm happy that you liked it. Blush

...Especially as I wrote it very soon after viewing, in an "emotionally altered" state still. It was a conscious choice and I just wanted to get the thoughts put down "raw", as it was, but it was also a bit unnerving to just let it all out without much self-restraint or radical filter. So it was not a review, just a... burst of impressions and emotions.

I'm humbled to think that my tears back then would induce a similar reaction in someone else.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.