The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 29 2014, 1:21am

Post #1 of 10 (432 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

Here's another Book Spoiler from The Hobbit to compare to The Hobbit... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Hobbit: Not At Home

..."The mere fleeting glimpses of treasure which they had caught as they went along had rekindled all the fire of their dwarvish hearts; and when the heart of a dwarf, even the most respectable, is wakened by gold and by jewels, he grows suddenly bold, and he may become fierce.
... The dwarves indeed no longer needed any urging. All were now eager to explore the hall... ...willing to believe that, for the present, Smaug was away from home. Each now gripped a lighted torch; and as they gazed, first on one side and then on another, they forgot fear and even caution... ...and cried out to one another, as they lifted old treasures from the mound or from the wall and held them in the light caressing and fingering them.
... Fili and Kili were almost in merry mood, and finding still hanging there many golden harps strung with silver they took them and struck them; and being magical (and also untouched by the dragon, who had small interest in music) they were still in tune. The dark hall was filled with a melody that had long been silent. But most of the dwarves were more practical; they gathered gems and stuffed their pockets... ...Thorin was not least among these; but always he searched from side to side for something which he could not find. It was the Arkenstone; but he spoke of it yet to no one.
... Now the dwarves took down mail and weapons from the walls, and armed themselves. Royal indeed did Thorin look, clad in a coat of gold-plated rings, with a silver-hafted axe in a belt crusted with scarlet stones..."

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 30 2014, 2:08am

Post #2 of 10 (333 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's more of the Book Spoiler of Dwarves and a Hobbit in The Hobbit to compare to The Hobbit... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Mr. Baggins kept his head more clear of the bewitchment of the hoard than the dwarves did. Long before the dwarves were tired of examining the treasures, he became wary of it and sat down on the floor; and he began to wonder nervously what the end of it all would be. "I would give a good many of these precious goblets... ...for a drink of something cheering out of one of Beorn's wooden bowls!"
... "Thorin!" he cried aloud. "What next? We are armed, but what good has any armour ever been before against Smaug the Dreadful? This treasure is not yet won back. We are not looking for gold yet, but for a way of escape; and we have tempted luck too long!"
... "You speak the truth!" answered Thorin, recovering his wits. "Let us go! I will guide you. Not in a thousand years should I forget the ways of this palace." Then he hailed the others, and they gathered together... ...holding their torches above their heads they passed through the gaping doors, not without many a backward glance of longing.
... Their glittering mail they had covered again with their old cloaks and their bright helms with their tattered hoods... ...one by one they walked behind Thorin, a line of little lights in the darkness that halted often, listening in fear once more for any rumour of the dragon's coming.
... Though all the old adornments were long mouldered or destroyed, and though all was befouled and blasted with the comings and goings of the monster, Thorin knew every passage and every turn. They climbed long stairs, and turned and went down wide echoing ways, and turned again and climbed yet more stairs, and yet more stairs again... ...they met no sign of any living thing, only furtive shadows that fled from the approach of their torches fluttering in the draughts.
... The steps were not made... ...for hobbit-legs, and Bilbo was just feeling that he could go on no longer, when suddenly the roof sprang high and far beyond the reach of their torch-light. A white glimmer could be seen coming through some opening far above, and the air smelt sweeter. Before them light came dimly through great doors, that hung twisted on their hinges and half burnt.
... "This is the great chamber of Thror," said Thorin; "the hall of feasting and of council. Not far off now is the Front Gate."
... They passed through the ruined chamber. Tables were rotting there; chairs and benches were lying there over-turned, charred and decaying. Skulls and bones were upon the floor among flagons and bowls and broken drinking-horns and dust. As they came through yet more doors... ...a sound of water fell upon their ears, and the grey light grew suddenly more full."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2014, 11:18am

Post #3 of 10 (321 views)
Shortcut
Such imagery! [In reply to] Can't Post

"...only furtive shadows that fled from the approach of their torches fluttering in the draughts." The wonderment of shadows being "alive"!

I do feel that PJ et al excelled in bringing "alive" the vastness of Erebor - and this passage of Tolkien's was "caught" in the Dwarves' attempt to escape from Smaug. (I must admit to being one of those who loves the battle with Smaug within the Mountain!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 12:31am

Post #4 of 10 (311 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one more of the Book Spoilers of Dwarves and a Hobbit in The Hobbit to compare to The Hobbit with one more to go... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "There is the birth of the Running River," said Thorin. "From here it hastens to the Gate. Let us follow it!"
...Out of a dark opening in a wall of rock there issued a boiling water, and it flowed swirling in a narrow channel, carved and made straight and deep by the cunning of ancient hands. Beside it ran a stone-paved road, wide enough for many men abreast. Swiftly along this they ran, and round a wide-sweeping turn... ...In front there rose a tall arch, still showing the fragments of old carven work within, worn and splintered and blackened though it was... ...at the threshold... ...their feet slithered on stones rubbed smooth and slimed by the passing of the dragon. Now before them the water fell noisily outward and foamed down towards the valley... ...They were come to the Front Gate, and were looking out upon Dale.
... "Well!" said Bilbo, "I never expected to be looking out of this door. And I never expected to be so pleased to see the sun again, and to feel the wind on my face..."
... ...But I don't feel that Smaug's front doorstep is the safest place for a meal. Do let's go somewhere where we can sit quiet for a bit!"
... "Quite right!" said Balin. "And I think I know which way we should go: we ought to make for the old look-out post at the South-West corner of the Mountain."
... "How far is that?" asked the hobbit.
... "Five hours march, I should think. It will be rough going. The road from the Gate along the left edge of the stream seems all broken up. But look down there! The river loops suddenly east across Dale in front of the ruined town. At that point there was once a bridge, leading to steep stairs that climbed up the right bank, and so to a road running towards Ravenhill. There is (or was) a path that left the road and climbed up to the post. A hard climb, too, even if the old steps are still there."
... "Dear me!" grumbled the hobbit. "More walking and more climbing without breakfast! I wonder how many breakfasts, and other meals, we have missed inside that nasty clockless, timeless hole..?"
... "...Come on! Come on!" cried the others. "Let us follow Balin's path!""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 12:33am

Post #5 of 10 (338 views)
Shortcut
It's brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

And they DID capture the feel of this mountain so well :) AND I'm DEFINITELY another one who absolutely LOVES the Battle IN the Mountain between Dwarves, Dragon, & Hobbit.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 1:17pm

Post #6 of 10 (312 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a bit more of the Book Spoiler of Dwarves and a Hobbit in The Hobbit to compare to The Hobbit... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Under the rocky wall to the right there was no path, so on they trudged among the stones on the left side of the river... ...The bridge that Balin had spoken of they found long fallen, and most of its stones were now only boulders in the shallow noisy stream; but they forded the water without much difficulty, and found the ancient steps, and climbed the high bank. After going a short way they struck the old road, and... ...came to a deep dell sheltered among the rocks; there they rested for a while and had such a breakfast as they could, chiefly cram and water. (If you want to know what cram is, I can only say that I don't know the recipe; but it is biscuitish, keeps good indefinitely, is supposed to be sustaining, and is certainly not entertaining, being in fact very uninteresting except as a chewing exercise. It was made by the Lake-men for long journeys)...
... ...they went on again; and now the road struck westwards and left the river, and the great shoulder of the south-pointing mountain-spur drew ever nearer. At length they reached the hill path. It scrambled steeply up, and they plodded slowly... ...till at last in the late afternoon they came to the top of the ridge and saw the wintry sun going downwards to the West...."

[more tomorrow]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 31 2014, 4:50pm

Post #7 of 10 (303 views)
Shortcut
That was missing! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lake-town Cram Bakery!

Maybe the Master deemed its product too dangerous in the hands of any "insurgents"... Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 2:37am

Post #8 of 10 (304 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* or [In reply to] Can't Post

"cram" is their nickname! We'll have to really check for the bakery when we can use the "pause" button ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 12:17pm

Post #9 of 10 (294 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some New Year BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Special New Year Book Spoiler... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

A New Year Meeting of Celeborn and Thranduil.
..."And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest; and they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, The Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest of his realm; and Celeborn took the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lórien; but all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen."

The New Year in Ithilien for Gandalf and the Hobbits
..."[Gandalf] '...in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell, and when you were brought out of the fire to the King. He has tended you, and now he awaits you. You shall eat and drink with him. When you are ready I will lead you to him.'
...'The King?' said Sam. 'What king, and who is he?'
...'The King of Gondor and the Lord of the Western Lands... ...and he has taken back all his ancient realm. He will ride soon to his crowning, but he waits for you.'"

New Year for the Dwarves is very meaningful.
..."...what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.
..."The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is... ...the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together.'"

Happy New Year, everyone!!! Here's to another year of good TIMEs at TORn!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #3

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 2 2015, 9:17pm

Post #10 of 10 (296 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one more Book Spoiler of some Dwarves and a Hobbit in The Hobbit to compare to The Hobbit... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Here they found a flat place without a wall on three sides, but backed to the North by a rocky face in which there was an opening like a door. From that door there was a wide view East and South and West.
... "Here," said Balin, "in the old days we used always to keep watchmen, and that door behind leads into a rock-hewn chamber... ...as a guardroom. There were several places like it round the Mountain. But there seemed small need for watching in the days of our prosperity, and the guards were made over comfortable... ...otherwise we might have had long warnings of the coming of the dragon, and things might have been different. Still, here we can now lie hid and sheltered for a while, and can see much without being seen..."... ...In the rock-chamber there would have been room for a hundred, and there was a small chamber further in, more removed from the cold outside. It was quite deserted; not even wild animals seemed to have used it in all the days of Smaug's dominion. There they laid their burdens; and some ... ...sat near the outer door and discussed their plans. In all their talk they came perpetually back to one thing: where was Smaug? They looked West and there was nothing, and East there was nothing, and in the South there was no sign of the dragon, but there was a gathering of very many birds. At that they gazed and wondered; but they were no nearer understanding it, when the first cold stars came out."

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #3

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.