Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Two Towers being Jackson's favorite

BurglarHobbit

Dec 28 2014, 10:23pm

Post #1 of 19 (3468 views)
Shortcut
The Two Towers being Jackson's favorite Can't Post

It's really curious to know that The Two Towers is PJ's favorite of the trilogy. FOTR is the favorite of the Tolkien purists and ROTK is the favorite of Jackson fanboys (including myself).

Yeah he said ROTK was the best at the time of release like he said DOS and BoFA were the best in the last two years. But in a interview with Film4 last year he said his favorite was TTT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIhYUJaTa_w

Two Towers has my favorite setpiece ever with the awesome climax of Helm's Deep, but not THAT much happens in that film in the storytelling, no?http://http://

(This post was edited by BurglarHobbit on Dec 28 2014, 10:24pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 2:23am

Post #2 of 19 (3067 views)
Shortcut
I agree with PJ to a certain extent [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR is my favorite, but TT is a very close second. ROTK had some beautiful moments, especially with the hobbits, most especially Sam and Frodo. But I felt the Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli storyline seemed phoned in. For a part of the story that is called Return of the King, and Aragorn is that king, his story felt like an afterthought. I was also bothered by some style choices.

TT was a much harder chapter to pull off, and I think PJ did a wonderful job. Resolving bits from FotR, introducing so many new characters, and setting things up for RotK was no small feat, but it worked. And it provided some of the most memorable moments in the trilogy.

But that's just me Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 5:23am

Post #3 of 19 (3050 views)
Shortcut
The Two Towers is also my favourite [In reply to] Can't Post

Although Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King, and now Battle of the Five Armies come close, if I could only watch one of those films again it would be The Two Towers. I love this film.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 5:18pm

Post #4 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut
Funny, because TT is not my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

and is more to the bottom of the list, *yet* it contains what may be close-to Dizzyingly Absolute Favorite LOTR Moment for me: when Gandalf reveals himself as White before Théoden. (Sheesh. I have goosebumps just talking about it. Love that bit of soundtrack too.)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 8:03pm

Post #5 of 19 (2986 views)
Shortcut
The staff... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I told you to take the wizard's staff!

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 29 2014, 9:52pm

Post #6 of 19 (2991 views)
Shortcut
Why TTT is best [In reply to] Can't Post

Three words:

1. Gollum!!

2. Ents!!

3. Helm´s Deep!!

Name
Rohan

Dec 30 2014, 1:52am

Post #7 of 19 (2966 views)
Shortcut
I absolutely love TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

I cycle between TTT and FOTR as my "favorite" of the trilogy. Smile

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 30 2014, 4:51am

Post #8 of 19 (2941 views)
Shortcut
If I was mean and pushed you into a corner, [In reply to] Can't Post

which would you choose?

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 30 2014, 5:16am

Post #9 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut
And that little wink from Gandalf before they walk in. // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 30 2014, 5:48am

Post #10 of 19 (2940 views)
Shortcut
Just watched TTT tonight... [In reply to] Can't Post

And that wink of his never will get old. Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Name
Rohan

Dec 30 2014, 2:44pm

Post #11 of 19 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably TTT as my favorite Laugh

But FotR is a probably a superior movie in terms of quality, storytelling, emotion, etc.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 30 2014, 5:09pm

Post #12 of 19 (2910 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And that wink of his never will get old. Cool

I may need to do another Trilogy soon. My son and I usually do one at Christmas. Feeling like I want to see TTT again now!

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 31 2014, 4:57am

Post #13 of 19 (2879 views)
Shortcut
Hope you get the chance! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was my first time (obviously) watching the trilogy since concluding the Hobbit films. Nice to have the whole saga now! (Well, yeah, the EE is coming...Tongue)

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

HeadingSouth
Bree

Dec 31 2014, 6:00am

Post #14 of 19 (2914 views)
Shortcut
I have seen Jackson say that several times, [In reply to] Can't Post

including at the BOTFA press conference.

FOTR is superior in my opinion, it isn't let down as much by the drawn-out, boring battle sequences like the next two are.

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 1 2015, 7:00am

Post #15 of 19 (2878 views)
Shortcut
I think you could argue its the most important if not the best.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think theres a good argument that even if you don't consider it the "best" of the trilogy its actually the most important in terms of establishing characters. plot and location.

FOTR covers the history of the ring of course and gets the quest underway but I would argue a lot of the characters involved(Merry, Pippin, Legolas, Gimli, even to some degree Sam) aren't fully fleshed out until TTT. Then you've got the entire Rohan story introduced almost from nothing, the introduction of Gollum and the much greater focus on the temptation of the ring including Faramir and finally the Ents. Basically a lot of what we see in TTT doesn't just build up to what we see in ROTK I think it also makes FOTR that much stronger a story.

I would add that for me as well TTT felt the most "Tolkienesque" in its slow deliberate pace and indepth coverage of travel.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Jan 1 2015, 7:03am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jan 3 2015, 4:56pm

Post #16 of 19 (2826 views)
Shortcut
TTT is my absolute favourite as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Introduction of the most interesting characters throught the whole Middle Earth series and one of the best battles ever depicted on screen,if not the best.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 7 2015, 10:08pm

Post #17 of 19 (2833 views)
Shortcut
For me, though the Ents are important to the story, those scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

kind of dragged and I was always wishing for a cut back to other story lines.

ponybarfly

Jan 20 2015, 12:11pm

Post #18 of 19 (2724 views)
Shortcut
On first viewing I thought Theoden was short changed [In reply to] Can't Post

My feeling was that he was cured a little too quickly by Gandalf. I realise of course we needed to get him into the story quickly, but I felt we were robbed of knowing the character better by not having the luxury of some intrigue with him and others within the Golden Hall before he was cured.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2015, 5:34am

Post #19 of 19 (2649 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I cycle between TTT and FOTR as my "favorite" of the trilogy. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.