Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your favorite moment from the score of BOTFA?

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 2:46pm

Post #1 of 18 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Your favorite moment from the score of BOTFA? Can't Post

Mine is absolutely Saruman and Elrond's arrival part of the Guardians of the Three theme.

(This post was edited by erdildeniz on Dec 28 2014, 2:57pm)

Cari
Bree

Dec 28 2014, 2:56pm

Post #2 of 18 (669 views)
Shortcut
Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine most definitely has to be Dain Ironfoot's arrival.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2014, 3:23pm

Post #3 of 18 (626 views)
Shortcut
I'm still making my way through the first CD :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Since this is the last new soundtrack, I'm savouring every track. I've heard the CD up until the "Guardians" track. Some lovely stuff in there.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 3:26pm

Post #4 of 18 (623 views)
Shortcut
I'm listening to it now! [In reply to] Can't Post

And hands down, i really love Sons of Durin and Billy's song. :) They're both perfect!

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 3:47pm

Post #5 of 18 (647 views)
Shortcut
So many moments for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But my favourite has got to be the end part of Mithril, where we get a nice, war-like Lake-town theme that segues seamlessly into the war-like Durin theme.

Other notable ones are Elrond and Saruman's arrival, the reprise of the Azanulzibar theme in Ravenhill, the elvish theme in Bred for War - these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing a couple more.

Oh and the new theme that plays in On the Shores of the Long Lake and Ironfoot!

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Dec 28 2014, 4:19pm

Post #6 of 18 (592 views)
Shortcut
I haven't bought the cd yet [In reply to] Can't Post

so sorry if I can't tell the exact name of the music piece, but I am always moved/thrilled when horns are blowing. Bombur's or in Dale it does not matter, I always get goosebumps.

Bofur01
Lorien

Dec 28 2014, 4:29pm

Post #7 of 18 (607 views)
Shortcut
I think mine must be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the end of "Mithril" and the compilation of the Lake-Town, Sons of Durin and Woodland Realm themes.

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Dec 28 2014, 8:46pm

Post #8 of 18 (509 views)
Shortcut
Two [In reply to] Can't Post

Hearing part of the Imladris theme during the Guardians of the Three and the Sons of Durin track.

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 9:50pm

Post #9 of 18 (475 views)
Shortcut
That theme [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But my favourite has got to be the end part of Mithril, where we get a nice, war-like Lake-town theme that segues seamlessly into the war-like Durin theme.

Other notable ones are Elrond and Saruman's arrival, the reprise of the Azanulzibar theme in Ravenhill, the elvish theme in Bred for War - these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing a couple more.

Oh and the new theme that plays in On the Shores of the Long Lake and Ironfoot!

That is the theme for Bard's leadership (see the liner notes), and I love it too!

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 9:51pm

Post #10 of 18 (463 views)
Shortcut
The horns [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
so sorry if I can't tell the exact name of the music piece, but I am always moved/thrilled when horns are blowing. Bombur's or in Dale it does not matter, I always get goosebumps.

The horns playing in the end in Dale are actually playing the Erebor theme! And it was actually written by Shore, that short horn call/piece.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 9:53pm

Post #11 of 18 (486 views)
Shortcut
My favourite moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my favourite part overall is the gorgeous choral music Shore wrote for the Smaug attack. When Bard is firing his final arrows, and Bard's family theme is sung by a female choir.

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 9:58pm

Post #12 of 18 (459 views)
Shortcut
That is one of mine, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

The father/son dynamic in that scene is quite powerful, and the music on top of it makes it doubly so.

I think the choir in that moment somehow perfectly expresses the desperation of Bard in the scene, in one last effort to save his child/family/home.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 11:28pm

Post #13 of 18 (442 views)
Shortcut
The choral piece during fire and water [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember because I've only seen the film once, but listened to the soundtrack a bunch, is that choral bit specifically for defeating Smaug or is it for Bard's children?

Either way, it's simply some of Shore's best music and unlike anything we've heard before in Middle-Earth.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 11:49pm

Post #14 of 18 (418 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

3:37 of Fire and Water is Bard's Family theme is for the bit when Bard is aiming the arrow using his son as a bow. The theme plays a few times afterwards in the film, all when Bard's family is present, but is not again performed with voices.

4:16 onwards is the music for Smaug's death

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Dec 28 2014, 11:51pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 29 2014, 1:26am

Post #15 of 18 (405 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is my favorite as well, but a close second is the music in "Sons of Durin" that plays when Gandalf says that the Dwarves are "rallying to their king."

Jay2001

Dec 29 2014, 2:54am

Post #16 of 18 (401 views)
Shortcut
Sons of Durin and Mithril [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Sons of Durin, Mithril and Ironfoot tracks very much. In the movie, the scene of Thorin and other dwarves running into the battle field and its background score were epic.

Saneliur
Bree

Dec 29 2014, 6:33am

Post #17 of 18 (378 views)
Shortcut
Mithril scene [In reply to] Can't Post

When Thorin gives Bilbo the mithril there's a lovely tune playing in the background, my absolute favorite of the whole trilogy Smile

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 29 2014, 9:04am

Post #18 of 18 (365 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

That tune is the same tune as when Frodo gets the mithril in FOTR, it's another cool connection to LOTR.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.