How was your year? Can't Post

How was the year 2014 for you?

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 27 2014, 3:44pm

Post #2 of 33 (4089 views)
Shortcut
I chose "Good" [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been better years, so not "Great" but there have definitely been worse.
I am kind of starting over and so far, things are growing and developing mostly as hoped and planned. There have been some nice surprises and unexpected challenges along the way but overall things are working out on all fronts. It hasn't been easy but there has been definite (though slow) progress on all fronts.
All of the disappointments have just been continuations of disappointments from previous years. The difference is that I have adjusted to most of them finally, this year - which I consider a "good" thing. It would be too much to expect everyone else to change or for the world to return to what it was before the economy crash.
So I say "good" and "getting better slowly".

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 6:23pm

Post #3 of 33 (4092 views)
Shortcut
My work year was a total dud [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering my work seems to suck up most of my life, that made my year in general pretty low on the scale of awesome. It was definitely the worst one since the earthquake years.
We had some very sick children, families battling real hardships, one of our children died, there were major difficulties for some of our staff, and then the year finished with me having to make a whole lot of people redundant.
Sometimes it really is not very nice being the boss, precious. Frown
Thank goodness for gardens, dogs, and good friends and family.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 27 2014, 7:22pm

Post #4 of 33 (4074 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
then the year finished with me having to make a whole lot of people redundant.

That must have been really tough to do.

Here's hoping that 2015 is a lot more pleasant all round for you.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 11:55pm

Post #5 of 33 (4079 views)
Shortcut
"All of them at once, I suppose!" [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been many highlights, along with many low points of 2014.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 1:37am

Post #6 of 33 (4054 views)
Shortcut
Good [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a rather good year. Ups and downs per the usual but all in all it was a good year. I'm looking forward to the next one as it really will be a watershed year for me and will really determine whether I can retire in a year and a half or whether I need to wait another 3 years to do so. Looking forward to it!

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 1:41am

Post #7 of 33 (4078 views)
Shortcut
Hoping not to have another year like this was. Ever. [In reply to] Can't Post

...with some few, special exceptions (like your Young Master, Daniel). So perhaps those pay for the lot.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 2:41am

Post #8 of 33 (4070 views)
Shortcut
The best of times, the worst of times. [In reply to] Can't Post

In May, I was nearly killed. But I survived, and fought my way back to health enough to take an extended trip in mid-summer to Iceland, Greenland, and along much of the Northwest Passage in the far North of Canada (up to lat. 76N), with much hiking, kayaking, etc. So, a year of peak experiences.

On Thanksgiving, I wrote this:

I have so very much to be thankful for this year, not least that I'm still alive when I might not have been. It's probably good for all of us to be reminded of just how fragile our lives are, that even on a lovely day, in your own home, a random act can take away everything you have. I am thankful for my dear husband and my children who stood by me, even the ones who were far away. I am thankful to the person who saved my life, and to the doctors and nurses who put me back together when I needed it. I am thankful for my many friends who sustained me, prayed for me, and even still, after all these months, tell me they're glad I'm ok. And I thank God for the experience and the lesson.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2014, 5:32pm

Post #9 of 33 (4033 views)
Shortcut
It was pretty good... [In reply to] Can't Post

Work has been a lot crazier than usual for a variety of reasons. But I a, healthy, the kids are healthy, so overall, no complaints! I'm enjoying a new to me sport (tennis), my middle schooler seems to be adjusting OK to the change, and I took a vacation (to Paris Heart, a place I have wanted to visit fro decades) in November, which were high points.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 9:33pm

Post #10 of 33 (4043 views)
Shortcut
It's certainly been a roller-coaster. Sending virtual hugs your way. :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 29 2014, 1:48am

Post #11 of 33 (4019 views)
Shortcut
I said "good." [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing stupendous happened, either good or bad, so that's pretty good, I guess.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 2:43am

Post #12 of 33 (4029 views)
Shortcut
Is the glass almost empty or are there a few precious drops at the bottom? [In reply to] Can't Post

This year, it would be easy to see the glass as almost completely empty. But if I look carefully, I can see a few drops at the bottom.

I just have to be keep treasuring those few drops at the bottom of that glass. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 29 2014, 2:55am)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 4:50am

Post #13 of 33 (4018 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

there are nearly always a few little drops, but sometimes it takes a lot of searching to find them. I hope 2015 brings more filling of the glass for you.
X

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 4:51am

Post #14 of 33 (4008 views)
Shortcut
I wish you [In reply to] Can't Post

peace and joy for 2015.
X

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 4:52am

Post #15 of 33 (4006 views)
Shortcut
Yes it was pretty rotten, but [In reply to] Can't Post

much worse for them than it was for me.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 5:01am

Post #16 of 33 (4013 views)
Shortcut
Good for you, Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

The best and worst of times indeed!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 29 2014, 5:46am

Post #17 of 33 (3993 views)
Shortcut
fairly awesome actually // [In reply to] Can't Post

demnation
Rohan

Dec 29 2014, 9:46am

Post #18 of 33 (4011 views)
Shortcut
2014 wasn't all that good to me [In reply to] Can't Post

A shame considering that the past few years have been pretty good. And 2015 isn't looking much better. I have a few family members who, sadly, are in their last few months of life. On the plus side, I did reestablish contact with an old friend that I have missed terribly and I hope to spend more time with her in the future. Silver lining, I guessSmile

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 5:02pm

Post #19 of 33 (4000 views)
Shortcut
The same back to you, m'dear [In reply to] Can't Post

and many thanks for you being you.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 5:03pm

Post #20 of 33 (3991 views)
Shortcut
Happy hugs back your way, to the new family! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 5:05pm

Post #21 of 33 (3998 views)
Shortcut
You are an inspiration Zarabia! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This year, it would be easy to see the glass as almost completely empty. But if I look carefully, I can see a few drops at the bottom.

I just have to be keep treasuring those few drops at the bottom of that glass. Unimpressed

All my best to you. And your way of looking at things is truly inspired. AngelicCool

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 10:52pm

Post #22 of 33 (3991 views)
Shortcut
All of them at once [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Bilbo, I think I'll just look back, remember everything that happened, whether it was good or bad and just be thankful to have lived through it and grown as a person. Evil

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 29 2014, 11:35pm

Post #23 of 33 (3991 views)
Shortcut
Well said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 30 2014, 9:52am

Post #24 of 33 (3969 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2015, 11:57pm

Post #25 of 33 (3941 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to you, dear friend, I made it through some rough times [In reply to] Can't Post

And when I think about your year, that is what it has been - giving good moments to others. The balance was mostly giving this year; fate did not grant you many good times for yourself, but I hope you know there are many people thanking their lucky stars they crossed paths with you this year. I'm not talking about only the friends and relatives you've helped this year, but the patients you care for at work. I have a new and deep appreciation for what nurses do - they are born givers.

Wishing you more gifts this year, but knowing that you will also keep on giving. We'll plan our next theater adventure soon. (I just need to pump up the DI Adventure Fund! Smile )

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.