Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What exactly is the power of the dwarven Rings?

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 1:45am

Post #1 of 19 (2778 views)
Shortcut
What exactly is the power of the dwarven Rings? Can't Post

They must have some kind of power.
Otherwise why risking putting them on while the "wanderings" of the One are unknown.
Sauron might find it and bind the ones wearing them in a blink.
Does Tolkien answer this question?
It think it would have been nice to see some sort of magic power when Thrain was fighting at Azanulbizar. They can still add it sometimes on the future. Hell, I would pay someone to add it for my private edition.
Unless you guys have an answer...

Smile

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 2:06am

Post #2 of 19 (2375 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think in the Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales or one of those doesn't it refer to at some point refers to having power over somehow increasing gold/treasure? I don't think it mentions how they do this but somehow they convey some kind of power (whether it's just simple greed or avarice I don't know).

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 2:21am

Post #3 of 19 (2336 views)
Shortcut
I would exclude greed/avarice [In reply to] Can't Post

Greed is increased by those Rings, but that's a side effect.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 2:23am

Post #4 of 19 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Not much, as it turns out. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were not specifically made for the Dwarves; apparently Sauron took them from Celebrimbor by force. The Dwarves proved resistant to the primary magic of the rings, which could not even turn them invisible. The rings did amplify their wearer's natural skills and desire of dominion, so they became greedy and rich; the Rings gave them the power to multiply whatever they mined. But they failed to give Sauron dominion over the Dwarves, which is why he took them back when he could.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 2:24am

Post #5 of 19 (2311 views)
Shortcut
If you exclude greed and avarice, there's not much left.// [In reply to] Can't Post

dwarvenboot

Dec 28 2014, 5:34am

Post #6 of 19 (2331 views)
Shortcut
Thrain's ring [In reply to] Can't Post

It was pretty obvious to see that at least Thrain's ring had the ability to hide what was going on at Dol Goldur (based on the TDoS extended edition).

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 7:22am

Post #7 of 19 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Greed. [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know they do not give magical 'powers' in the usual fantasy sense. They were probably used by the dwarves to accumulate their vast hoards of treasure - like the one in Erebor.

The dwarves proved resistant to Sauron's control when wearing their rings. However, it amplified their greed, and as a result largely kept them out of the War of the Ring, which in a way somewhat still aided Sauron's purposes.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 10:27am

Post #8 of 19 (2247 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like you are cnfusing them with the Three Elven Rings... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was Vilya, narya and Nenya that had to be hidden since they were unsullied by Sauron and could only be worn and used safely whilst the One Ring was lost.

In Reply To

They must have some kind of power.
Otherwise why risking putting them on while the "wanderings" of the One are unknown.
Sauron might find it and bind the ones wearing them in a blink.

The Dwarven rings did indeed increase the Dwarves' gold lust and exacerbate their natural tendency to avarice. and were believed to be the foundations of the gold hoards of the Seven houses. From LotR Appendix A:

The Dwarf Lords proved resistant to the malevolent magic of the rings, which could not even turn them invisible. The rings amplified their wearer's natural skills and desire of dominion which as a consequence, they became greedy and exceedingly rich; the Rings gave them the power to multiply whatever they mined

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Dec 28 2014, 10:28am)

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 11:21am

Post #9 of 19 (2242 views)
Shortcut
It is interesting speculation.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was pretty obvious to see that at least Thrain's ring had the ability to hide what was going on at Dol Goldur (based on the TDoS extended edition).

I don't believe Tolkien ever addressed what use Sauron could have put the recaptured seven rings to. The way things played out in the film though I do agree it gives the impression that Sauron is potentially building his own power somehow via possessing them.

My personal feeling was that Sauron probably used them to entrap humans to the south and east to increase the strength of his control over them and increase antagonism against the Gondorians.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 28 2014, 11:24am)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 11:34am

Post #10 of 19 (2206 views)
Shortcut
Philosopher's stones? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They were probably used by the dwarves to accumulate their vast hoards of treasure - like the one in Erebor.

Yes, but how? Do the Rings were like the philosopher's stone, turning rock into gold?
Why wear it with the risk of, basically, dying.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 28 2014, 11:41am

Post #11 of 19 (2206 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but my concern is with the movie universe [In reply to] Can't Post

If the One can bind all the Rings (and the ones who wear them) into darkness, if they have no power, why wear them?
Also, this could be said for the books. The dwarves (with Rings) were resilient to the One. That implies an effort, a stress in order to resist the One... then why wear them if they have no power?
Did they just wear them for the side effect of greed, allowing them to accumulate gold?

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 12:23pm

Post #12 of 19 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Michael Martinez typically has some good thoughts on the issue of the Dwarven Rings... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/...rven-rings-of-power/

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 1:44pm

Post #13 of 19 (2184 views)
Shortcut
I would suggest more via increasing the wearers skill and greed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
They were probably used by the dwarves to accumulate their vast hoards of treasure - like the one in Erebor.

Yes, but how? Do the Rings were like the philosopher's stone, turning rock into gold?
Why wear it with the risk of, basically, dying.

I would suggest that the effect of the rings isn't to "create" gold but rather to increase the wearers innate skill (and ability to control others) plus his greed. So a Dwarven king with one of the rings would be better at acquiring wealth and more likely to keep it for himself.

It would be the same with the one ring, if one of the powerful leaders of the side of good had taken it and used it they would have become a more skilful leader with the ability to sway others, indeed potentially to have turned Sauron's own servants against him.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 28 2014, 1:47pm)

squire
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 3:03pm

Post #14 of 19 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Now you see them, now you don't [In reply to] Can't Post

I am puzzled by your quote from LotR Appendix A. I can't find it in my book, and as far as I know Tolkien never commented on whether the Dwarf Rings had the power of invisibility.

"Malevolent magic" and "could not even" are not Tolkien's typical writing style, either; he tended not to use words like that; and "which as a consequence" is flat-out ungrammatical - a shocking thing for a grammarian, as Tolkien once put it about a supposed error he had committed.

Can you help me find the quote? I know various volumes have different page numbers, but perhaps you could provide a subchapter reference or the page count from the nearest chapter heading or something? Thanks!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 3:11pm

Post #15 of 19 (2203 views)
Shortcut
It's from the Tolkien Gateway entry of 'Seven Rings' [In reply to] Can't Post

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Seven_Rings

It cites Appendix A as a source.

squire
Half-elven

Dec 28 2014, 3:29pm

Post #16 of 19 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That explains it. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, citing a secondary source as if it's a primary source. If you don’t keep your notes in order, there is no knowing what kind of fan-fiction you might be swept off to. "

Now all the original poster needs is for someone to decode how much of the Warner Bros. films' ring-lore was actually written by Tolkien, and how much by the screenwriters for their own purposes.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 4:48pm

Post #17 of 19 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Apologies... [In reply to] Can't Post

meant to add the Tolkien Gateway link but obviously forgot in my haste!

¯ Victoria Monfort

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 5:22pm

Post #18 of 19 (2111 views)
Shortcut
According to Appendix A... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a quote:

Years afterward {After the sack of Erebor} Thror, now old, poor, and desperate, gave to his son Thrain the one great treasure he still possessed, the last of the Seven Rings... Of the Ring he said to Thrain at their parting:

'This may prove the foundation of a new fortune for you yet, though that seems unlikely. But it needs gold to breed gold.'

Afterwards, the passage goes on to describe the death of Thror as he attempted to enter Moria, and the beginning of the feud of Orcs and Dwarves. In typical Tolkien fashion, nothing is said explicitly and veiled hints are left as to the causes of actions. It is said that maybe Thror left due to the influence of the Ring or Sauron's power over it, or just out of desperation or folly of old age. Like much of the mythology it imitates, there is no one answer and many different traditions, versions, and drafts.

I conclude that the Ring somehow allowed the bearer to increase in wealth. Thror's line about 'breeding' gold is ambiguous, and it could mean the Ring imparted economic savvy and wisdom (A benign side-effect worthy of the Elves) or that it amplified the dark desires and greed of the Dwarves (Worthy of the malice of Sauron). Many will side with the film, that the Ring was the culprit in the madness of Thror, Thrain, and Thorin, and even the summoning of Smaug. In the books, however, as I read it, the blame is laid more to Smaug than aught else. The accumulation of gold itself was the beacon that drew him in, and like many of the dragons in Norse folklore, they attack both heroes and villains simply to accumulate treasure and will defend their hoard to the bitter end (See Beowulf's dragon and his rage over the loss of a small cup). As I read it, the madness of Thorin lies more with the dragon-spell and lingering influence of Smaug than anything else.

In my opinion, Thror recognised the inherent danger of the Ring, (or at least the peril it contained and the potentiality for evil) hence his scepticism as to its efficacy in rebuilding the Dwarf fortunes, but it is intentionally left to us to decide for ourselves.

One last thing I find interesting:

The Ring is talked about, then seemingly forgotten in the recounting of Dwarven history and the War of Dwarf and Orc that led to Azanulbizar. It is interesting how the entire course of the story starts with the passing of the Ring. In some interpretations it could be said that the Ring initiated the entire sequence of events that followed. Perhaps Thror went to Moria to get gold so the Ring could work? Azong charged him with burglary. I think I'd like a discussion of the Appendices.....

Appendix A is a great read for any fan, and I recommend it to anyone here.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Wainrider
Rivendell

Jan 26 2015, 5:10am

Post #19 of 19 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves in Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way, a bit off topic, but is there any kind of map or essay about where all the dwarves live in Middle earth? Tolkien often mentions that there are 7 houses of the Dwarves, but never discusses any of them except for Durin's folk.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.