Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which Fictional book series (besides Middle Earth) is your Favorite?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which Fictional book series (besides Middle Earth) is your Favorite?
Harry Potter
The Chronicles of Narnia
Eragon
Iliad and Odyssey
Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones)
Divergent
Twilight
Hunger Games
Space Trilogy
Jules Vern's Fiction
HG Well's Fiction
George McDonald's Fiction
Other
View Results (66 votes)

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 24 2014, 3:18pm

Post #1 of 34 (4876 views)
Shortcut
Which Fictional book series (besides Middle Earth) is your Favorite? Can't Post

If none of the above please post in the comments below.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 3:36pm

Post #2 of 34 (4642 views)
Shortcut
Le Guin's Earthsea series. [In reply to] Can't Post

I re-read it often, find new things in it every time.

After that, Jim Butcher's Dresden series. Then Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

Also re-read Julian May's Pliocene Exile series, Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series, Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series, Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series (although it lost steam for me after about the 10th book), Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster and Cygnet series, John Varley's Titan series, and PC Hodgell's Godstalk series.

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 24 2014, 3:37pm)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 4:04pm

Post #3 of 34 (4635 views)
Shortcut
Pern [In reply to] Can't Post

Dragons and more dragons

Kim
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 6:47pm

Post #4 of 34 (4621 views)
Shortcut
Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

Although Narnia comes in a close second.

Mikah
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 9:07pm

Post #5 of 34 (4626 views)
Shortcut
The King Killer Chronicles. [In reply to] Can't Post

Patrick Rothfuss' series of books are the ones that I have enjoyed the most besides Tolkien. I absolutely love this writer and owe my friend Shana a huge debt for introducing me to these books! I can not wait for the last one! I really do enjoy George RR Martin and Joe Abercrombie as well.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 2:56pm

Post #6 of 34 (4606 views)
Shortcut
I voted Narnia, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I also love Harry Potter. And the Little Women series and the Anne of Green Gables series have long been favorites. And the Dark is Rising series.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 3:09pm

Post #7 of 34 (4612 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

None of those listed above. However, I still have too many loved series to pick a single favorite.
- Anne McCaffrey's Pern
- Moorcock's Elric (and Hawkmoon and Corum)
- Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser
- Eddings' Elenium and Begariad
- Roger Zelazny's Amber
- Jim Butcher's Dresden
- Pratchett's Discworld
- Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- And others including non-s.f./fantasy series such as Maxwell Collins' Nate Heller mysteries.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 25 2014, 3:10pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2014, 8:36pm

Post #8 of 34 (4600 views)
Shortcut
The Galactic Milieu [In reply to] Can't Post

with Pern a close second.

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 2:26am

Post #9 of 34 (4588 views)
Shortcut
Narnia [In reply to] Can't Post

The only other ones from your list that I've read are Harry Potter, Hunger Games, the Iliad, and Jules Verne. I really like Jules Verne, Iliad was fun (though frightfully gory Laugh), Hunger Games was okay but not great, and I did not enjoy Harry Potter much at all!

I would really recommend James Anderson and Marc Sebanc's Legend of the Stone Harp series, though (Book 1: The Stoneholding and Book 2: Darkling Fields of Arvon). After Middle-earth and Narnia, it is certainly my favourite fantasy series.

(This post was edited by Gianna on Dec 26 2014, 2:27am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 2:59am

Post #10 of 34 (4585 views)
Shortcut

I enjoy the HP books very much. I find they are very readable and re-readable.

My opinions on the others I've read from the list:

Was never a Narnia fan. I just could not connect with it.
Divergent, Hunger Games (I'd add Maze Runner to this): All had an interesting first book, and then the rest of the series falls apart
Eragon was so incredibly, incredibly derivative, I could barely read it
Game of Thrones is way too violent for me
Jules Verne - I like his books but not to read more than once
And, ditto for T.H. White - I liked The Once & Future King series

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 7:04pm

Post #11 of 34 (4568 views)
Shortcut
1632 [In reply to] Can't Post

aka, The Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 7:13pm

Post #12 of 34 (4562 views)
Shortcut

...is very high on my list, but there are several other series that I love, such as the Peter Grant books by Ben Aaronovitch and the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Together with Harry Potter, these are the three series that I love most, but there are still others that I also adore.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 7:53pm

Post #13 of 34 (4580 views)
Shortcut
I never have *one* favorite anything [In reply to] Can't Post

But since it's always assumed people have *one* favorite, I guess I'm just odd in that way.

some of my favorite series:
Darkover - Marion Zimmer Bradley
Pern Universe - Anne McCaffrey, esp. the earlier novels (later ones not so much)
The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Harry Potter - JK Rowling
The Mabinogion Tetralogy - Evangeline Walton

and I liked the shared universes of Thieves' World and Borderlands.

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 4:34am

Post #14 of 34 (4556 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorites change more often than the weather. But there are some that I keep coming back to.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 5:07am

Post #15 of 34 (4565 views)
Shortcut
It's not that my favorites change [In reply to] Can't Post

it's that I just have stuff I like. I don't elevate any one item to a superior acme position although I do tend to focus on stuff in waves and during certain moods.

When I'm reading Butcher I love reading it. But it's not, at that moment, a favorite above other books I read last month, last year, or last decade that I loved at the moment I read them.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2014, 5:35pm

Post #16 of 34 (4546 views)
Shortcut
If you mean, series set in a fictional(ized) world... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would vote for Harry Potter, probably.

But fiction series overall, Sherlock Holmes and Dumas Musketeer books would also be in the running.

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 5:40pm

Post #17 of 34 (4542 views)
Shortcut
I voted other. [In reply to] Can't Post

I go more for the likes of Watership Down, Alice in Wonderland, or Dune (only the first one).
I don't so much go for a lot of the newer stuff that has come out - especially when too many (a disproportionate ratio) of the important characters are kids / teenagers. I don't so much gravitate toward the dystopian type of scifi/fantasy.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 6:54pm

Post #18 of 34 (4543 views)
Shortcut
Have you tried the Dresden Files? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not an easy thing to categorize. It's not dystopian. There are a few younger people but no teenage angst. It's definitely for an adult market. It's got this odd but effective mixture of genre: fantasy, a little bit of horror, detective...

When I was reading them, I offered them to my husband knowing these weren't his sort of books. He was completely uninterested in them.

Later, he picked them up for some reason and before long, he was completely hooked. I love them. My 30 year old son loves them. And to find one thing the three of us love is rare.

We're lucky to have a sci-fi/fantasy book store in town that offers used books for half price - although Jim Butcher is popular and they don't have used copies of his books for long. But you can also probably get them out of the library if you're curious but not sure.

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 28 2014, 7:45pm

Post #19 of 34 (4535 views)
Shortcut
I just did some light research on Dresden files - [In reply to] Can't Post

that does look like something I would really like! I might have to look up a volume or two to see. Thanks for the recommendation!Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 8:30pm

Post #20 of 34 (4539 views)
Shortcut
I think it gets better as it goes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how much Butcher finds his groove over time or how much the reader just starts getting really invested in the characters.

But it gets a lot of hype on these boards (look at old 'what are you reading' threads) and I'd hate for anyone to expect to be wowed on the first book. But I think its decent reading even at the beginning and sticking with it has good rewards.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 10:42pm

Post #21 of 34 (4536 views)
Shortcut
Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy // [In reply to] Can't Post

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 4:53pm

Post #22 of 34 (4517 views)
Shortcut
I said "other" because "none" wasn't an option [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had to pick one, I might go with Narnia, but I didn't read all of those.
On further thought, I'll go with the "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. That's the only other series of books I love.
On further, further thought, I agree that the Middle Earth books aren't really a series to me. There's just The Hobbit and LotR. Do two books make a series? The Sil isn't really a continuation, but an offshoot. I guess it could be considered a prequel to The Hobbit, but since I read it last, it doesn't feel that way to me.
Am I just being difficult?

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2014, 7:40pm

Post #23 of 34 (4516 views)
Shortcut
They could fall into the 'shared universe' concept [In reply to] Can't Post

although usually that refers to various authors setting their stories within in one conceptual universe (with their characters, to some extent). In this case, it's one universe and one author.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2014, 6:00am

Post #24 of 34 (4509 views)
Shortcut
Me either. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never have one favorite; I collect them and am always happy to find a new one. I like each one for itself and its own set of characteristics. And I hate to rank them, and see no real need to. After all, there are so many different reasons to like things, and so many different times to enjoy them, why not have a favorite for every occasion?

Which isn't to say that I like everything, just that when I find something I do like, I tend to like it always and retain a fondness for it even when something new comes along. Make new friends, but keep the old, as the old song goes. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 30 2014, 1:13pm

Post #25 of 34 (4503 views)
Shortcut
Shared Universe Series [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
although usually that refers to various authors setting their stories within in one conceptual universe (with their characters, to some extent). In this case, it's one universe and one author.

Yes; better examples of shared universe book series would include the Thieves' World anthologies edited by Robert Asprin and Lynn Abbey; The Wild Cards books edited by George R.R. Martin; and books set in game settings such as the Forgotten Realms of D&D.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.