The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Another versus thread maybe?

Boromir2k
Bree

Dec 26 2014, 7:36pm

Post #1 of 9 (634 views)
Shortcut
Another versus thread maybe? Can't Post

I am just Helms deep-into lotr and I am struck with a wine-strengthened thought. And I am sure I am not the only one and perhaps there is another post of this...

But so much in Lotr movies feel so much more real. In fact, everything that counts feels more real. Sure, the cave troll compared to the Goblin King or Smaug is in The Hobbits favour, as is Gollum. Sure, they count for a whole deal, but all the battles, all the large scale scenes are still so much better in lotr trilogy. There is a lot of CGI in lotr trilogy, but so much less than The Hobbit and the use of bigatuers and the making oc larger sets makes this trilogy way more believeble than the Hobbit. Sadly.
One would imagine that the better the technology the better the movie making..? I am slowly being convinced that the better the computer power gets, the lazier the directors get.
I recently read an interview with P J where he said that he very much dis,iked the Hollywood wagon -making films a la Hollywood style. So why is this? Why is Hollywopd directing the movies far more than the directors themselves? Well, money, yes...but if they could make films ten years agohat are 'better' than now, whyot stick to it? Are all the Hollywood companies so focused on money and not quality? It is not the over use of CGI that attracts viewers...right? I mean, if they had made the Hobbit under the same comditions as lotr, it had still drawn the same crowd. Right?

Okay, commercial break over. Back to Helms deep :)

(This post was edited by Boromir2k on Dec 26 2014, 7:37pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 7:57pm

Post #2 of 9 (477 views)
Shortcut
Working as intended. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, LOTR feels more real. It's the end of the Third Age, the beginning of "the World of Man", our world.

The Hobbit is a story of Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, etc, set during the days of an earlier, more fantastical age, so of course it feels and looks less real to us humans, just as it's supposed to.

"We were somewhere around Cerin Amroth, in the heart of Elvendom, when the miruvor began to take hold."

Bishop
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 9:36pm

Post #3 of 9 (417 views)
Shortcut
I find the different aesthetics to be at conflict [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand your point about the age of ME being a factor, but I don't think that was exactly the intent of the filmmakers. On a purely technical level, the films feel very different. This is inescapable as the wide use of greenscreen sets, abundance of fully CGI shots, and 3d+hfr will obviously give the films a different flavor (3d resulting in an abandonment of many of the "tricks" they used previously). Where I find the conflict is in Jackson and co's repeated mantra to make these Hobbit films feel like a seamless connection to LOTR. The use of established musical motifs, consistent reminders through parallel visual moments, dialog all speak to this. Visually speaking the main differences look to be the result of the technical medium rather than a "more fantastical" approach (for the most part, IMO). I agree that some things do look fantastical, such as Radigast's house. But it doesn't seem any more fantastical in aesthetic than scenes with Treebeard, for example.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 9 (385 views)
Shortcut
For example.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in LOTR, the Council of Elrond is filmed in sepia to portray the twilight of the Elves. Nightime Lothlorien is flimed in an artificial fluorescent blue to indicate the unnatural preservation of Nenya. Note the vibrant colors of the Shire, the subdued palette of the Pelennor, the washed out greys of Mordor.

In The Hobbit films colors are more glossy, glowing, shining. More magical. But the connection with LOTR is the gradual desaturation throughout the three films as the less magical, more real Age of Man approaches.

I cannot see these as mere sloppiness. So I accept them as intentional.

While we may argue the appropriateness or success of Jackson's use of color gradient, I do not think we can dismiss it as an accident.

As for a truly fantastical scene in LOTR, there's the shot of Haldir introducing "the heart of Elvendom on earth", with a magical palette of colors which matches the book description exquisitely:

The others cast themselves down upon the fragrant grass, but Frodo stood awhile still lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful.

Of course there were some complaints that the colors were obviously unreal.

But that was the point.

"We were somewhere around Cerin Amroth, in the heart of Elvendom, when the miruvor began to take hold."

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 27 2014, 12:01am

Post #5 of 9 (343 views)
Shortcut
wise words from a wise man. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, LOTR feels more real. It's the end of the Third Age, the beginning of "the World of Man", our world.

The Hobbit is a story of Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, etc, set during the days of an earlier, more fantastical age, so of course it feels and looks less real to us humans, just as it's supposed to.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 12:31am

Post #6 of 9 (351 views)
Shortcut
Battle scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

One difference I noticed in BOFA is that the CGI armies tend to look like the same warrior multiplied many times doing the same thing, or only slightly differently. With the more real action, especially at Helm's Deep, there's more random movement that you get with real people so things don't look so uniform. I know LOTR used CGI too, but maybe it mixed more real action with the CGI so the overall effect seemed more real?

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 4:19am

Post #7 of 9 (333 views)
Shortcut
LOTR scenes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...composited the same small groups of people over and over again to make massive crowd scenes like the Elves of the Last Alliance, the charge of the Rohirrim, and the coronation of Elessar. In the last the same old lady is especially noticeable sprinkled in multiple places throughout the crowd. Of course once you notice her you can't help but notice her 8-10 neighbors also duplicated along with her.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 9 (266 views)
Shortcut
Excellent points I'd say. // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 1:51pm

Post #9 of 9 (284 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! Excellent. I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

the same old lady and the group around her at least do NOT appear anywhere on TH battlefields!!! Angelic

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Dec 27 2014, 1:52pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.