Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

VValar
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 9:47am

Post #1 of 204 (3926 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXX  

A couple of friendly reminders aka README!!!!!!!!
- If you're new, or unsure, about posting, especially contributing Pretty!, please refer to the TORn guides on the "
Welcome" board, or refer to the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images" and the little PSA from the mods posts right here on the TA threads for quickie information. It might just save you from getting zapped by Wrath of Mod.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Thranduil AppreciationHeart

.~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~.

Without further ado, lets start with Part XXX of the Thranduil Appreciation! Thanks to On_the_Partyelk for reaching post 200 in our previous thread, and for Adrianna, Me85 and Lurker for keeping it alive until Dernwyn came along Angelic

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Clicky for HR. Can't believe we haven't used this Pretty!Heart for an OP yet *THUD*)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar) | XVIII
XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk) | XXVI (Thread by Eruvandi) | XXVII (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk)
XXVIII | XXIX (Threads by Eruvandi)

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also "Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• [Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 9:56am

Post #2 of 204 (3123 views)
    Shortcut
         *peeks from behind laptop screen* *checks left* *checks right* [In reply to]  

Woohoo! No. 30 is now a fact!! *Puts party hat on*

Massive thank you to Lurker who tipped me that our previous thread had been closed and we were in need for another another one fast Heart

Wow our last thread went by fast. Need time to check out all of the previous +-20 post. I thought I saw a lot of Pretty! in it.

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 10:02am

Post #3 of 204 (3162 views)
    Shortcut
         The gorgeous latest official Thranduil pic [In reply to]  

Brought to us by On_the_Partyelk here.
    I thought our new topic needed this in it Heart Kinda makes you wonder what else they've got up their sleeves concerning new Thranduil promotional material.

In Reply To

And re having a thing for his armor:

In Reply To
    And I'm pretty sure I am not the only one. Especially when he is wearing it as Thranduil. *faints and hopes for Thranduil to catch her* Blush

Oh no, you're definitely NOT alone Angelic

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 10:10am

Post #4 of 204 (3113 views)
    Shortcut
         If you want a bit of Christmas Carols fun [In reply to]  

Check out Fellow Thralls, come on this thread for some Xmas Carol fun from our last TA thread Lurker started and this thread connecting to it.

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 10:17am

Post #5 of 204 (3094 views)
    Shortcut
         Reply to Lurker's last batch of season's Pretty from last thread [In reply to]  

Is that a little Leggy FLAST I see going on there?

RE:

AngelicShockedLaughLaugh

In Reply To

Oh and this one is just adorable Heart

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 10:27am

Post #6 of 204 (3146 views)
    Shortcut
         Thranduil doesn't want to listen to his son -gif. It's Xmas! [In reply to]  

Here

stn5
    The Shire

Dec 26 2014, 10:32am

Post #7 of 204 (3095 views)
    Shortcut
         the source of the new pictures [In reply to]  

Anyone knew the source of this new photos? It not from official site is it?

I first saw it in tumblr

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 12:49pm

Post #8 of 204 (3038 views)
    Shortcut
         Yay, number THIRTY! [In reply to]  

Thanks, for opening the new thread. :)

Surely this party will be a good one. *brings snacks n drinks*

Wow our last thread went by fast.

Because there is so much Pretty! to share and talk about, can't blame us. ;)

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 1:07pm

Post #9 of 204 (3046 views)
    Shortcut
         The BIG Three O! [In reply to]  

Wow!

in celebration:

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
    (Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXX
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 1:12pm

Post #10 of 204 (3060 views)
    Shortcut
         *LoL* TAXXX! Definitely worth breaking out the party hats [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    Woohoo! No. 30 is now a fact!! *Puts party hat on*

LaughCool

In Reply To
    Massive thank you to Lurker who tipped me that our previous thread had been closed and we were in need for another another one fast Heart

You're welcome. I was out for the day, and thought you'd be available to do the honoursSmile

PS - 2 nerdy notes on TA stats
    1) the OP was used in TAIX... well, I used the original image, so I technically this edit you're doing has not been used beforeCrazyTongue
    2) Adrianna was the actual threadtipper for TAXXIX because it is the
    200th response to the OP, or post number 201 on the thread, that tips it and brings it into the mods' radar for threadlock.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 1:14pm

Post #11 of 204 (3074 views)
    Shortcut
         Been a while since we got some FLAST eh? [In reply to]  

And it's the perfect X-over comboHeart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 1:15pm

Post #12 of 204 (3095 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks for the signal boost, VValar. And thralls... [In reply to]  

c'mon in and share. Or we could have a Thranduil edition right hereLaughAngelic

So what would be your TA chistmas carol?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 1:16pm

Post #13 of 204 (3048 views)
    Shortcut
         Just SNERT! [In reply to]  

LaughThat is so seasonal and perfect FLAST too!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 1:19pm

Post #14 of 204 (3076 views)
    Shortcut
         Another Pretty - armour!fan art [In reply to]  

I like the vibe, MUCHHeart

=======

Adrianna
    Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 2:32pm

Post #15 of 204 (3035 views)
    Shortcut
         Wow! [In reply to]  

I'm looking forward to making sure our elvenking is not forgotten.

That rear view is amazing. It just shows how beautiful he is with grace and power.

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 3:00pm

Post #16 of 204 (3022 views)
    Shortcut
         Way to go VValar! [In reply to]  

You finally got to start another TA thread and it's the big number 30 too!

Love the OP pretty! I can't believe we haven't used it yet either.

I hope I'll be able to check in a few times but I probably won't get to post much this weekend because I've got family visiting and I'll be spending lots of time with them. But I will get to go see BOTFA again tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some geeky Thranduil observations when I get back to posting.Smile

Have fun everybody!

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day
    Their old familiar carols play
    And mild and sweet their songs repeat
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.

But in despair I bowed my head
    There is no peace on earth, I said
    For hate is strong and mocks the song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Then rang the bells more loud and deep,
    God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
    The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
    With peace on earth, good will to men."
    ~Casting Crowns "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

stn5
    The Shire

Dec 26 2014, 4:22pm

Post #17 of 204 (3085 views)
    Shortcut
         Hobbit Talk: Is Thranduil a good father? [In reply to]  

Theonering facebook have a hobbit talk on this topic

https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=1&theater

Just like to share some

Source : iwillbemeforever

I just rewatched the hobbit : the battle of the five armies and it made me realize something about Legolas.

He’s so much more grim and emo in the hobbit but in a way, I think I understand why.

Even though Thranduil loves Legolas very much, I am sure there isn’t a day that Thranduil doesn’t grief over his dead wife.

So in a way, Thranduil was full of grief and pain. So, Legolas grew up in that environment. I am not saying that Thranduil was a bad father or was cold or unloving. I am just saying that Legolas had to grow up with a father in pain.

I think the only reason why Thranduil has not died of a broken heart is because of Legolas and the fact that he is a king (his people and kingdom depends on him. He cannot just waste away even if he wanted to)

But personally, I don’t think Thranduil was a bad father.

The fact that Legolas could decide to go with Tauriel after being summoned by his father and knowing that Tauriel has been banished only shows that Legolas has a close relationship with his father. Or else, he would not dare go against his father.This also shows that Thranduil is not as cold as he seems.

Then, when Legolas stepped in when Thranduil was pointing a sword at Tauriel, Thranduil looked like he was in alot of pain when he heard Legolas spout those words to him. 

If Thranduil is a mean or authoritative father, he would yell at Legolas or slap him or something but all Thranduil did was look away, in pain.

Then, later, when Legolas said he couldn’t return back to Mirkwood, Thranduil was clearly a little upset but he did not scold or question his son. Instead, he was worried and so he asked him where would he go? (After all, all Legolas know is home which is Mirkwood.) 

When Legolas replied that he didn’t know and as a father, he gave his advice.

To say that Thranduil was a bad father is wrong.

But personally, I think it’s good that Legolas left Mirkwood. If he had stayed, he might stayed that grim because he continues to live with his grieving father.

I think seeing the vast middle earth and travelling has allowed him to see more and learn more. And he could see more than grief and pain. I think that’s what lead us to the Legolas we know in Lord of the rings.

Holly Hobbit
    Bree

Dec 26 2014, 4:26pm

Post #18 of 204 (3032 views)
    Shortcut
         *brings red velvet cake to Mirkwood court, curtsies before Thranduil, serves cake to Elvenking and his followers* [In reply to]  

Hello, all! I hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas! Heart

Just a few thoughts: it's been almost a week since I've seen BOTFA in theaters, and the more I think about the movie, the more Thranduil sticks out in my mind. What an incredible performance from Lee Pace! And what a wonderfully developed character! His backstory really made me feel for Thranduil and Legolas - I cried for them as much as I cried for the Dwarves (but I was pretty much a mess by that point in the movie anyways!).

Does anyone besides me really miss our Elvenking already and feel sad we won't get even more Thranduil next year? Already I am wishing for a War in the North movie or something just because I want more of our beloved Elvenking.Heart

mariel
    Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 5:11pm

Post #19 of 204 (3006 views)
    Shortcut
         Where did 29 go? [In reply to]  

Can't believe it's 30 already. Another very nice edit combining the 2 new pics to cntinue the celebrations

clicky for source

mariel
    Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 5:14pm

Post #20 of 204 (2991 views)
    Shortcut
         Very nice [In reply to]  

Haven't seen this one before [although I think the hand is a little on the large side - but a minor quibble]

Ruxendil_Thoorg
    Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 5:30pm

Post #21 of 204 (3010 views)
    Shortcut
         I vote "good father" in that he's a work in progress [In reply to]  

I'm a father so I can appreciate and empathize with one who keeps trying, even while exhibiting flaws and making mistakes now and then.

Thrandy is flawed and has grief issues, but despite that, he manages to succeed, like so many decent but fallible fathers who try their best and whose children turn out ok. As a single dad he has done reasonably well by Legolas, and even by Tauriel as her surrogate father (she's his ward, right?) He gave them epic parkour-ninja-archer training and they were brought up to become decent people, even if they ended up having differences during the events of the movies.

In BOTFA i find he clearly showed by implication his fatherly love for Legolas, by giving him wise advice and by finally getting over his problem about speaking about Legolas' mom. Telling Legolas that his mother loved him was a breakthrough that could only have resulted from love for his son. Also, making up with Tauriel later at the end may have been triggered by Legolas' decision to leave. That might have served as a wake-up call to appreciate Tauriel's feelings more than he had been.

my verdict: good father who starts with room for improvement when he is introduced in the movies, and who makes the effort to improve by the end.

He was born of mortal frailty mixed with Elven fallen realm,
    Comin’ home to a land he’d never been before.
    Arvernian behind him, sailed the seas of Middle-earth,
    You might say he didn’t know what lay in store.

When his wife came out to find him she'd been turned into a bird,
    Upon her breast there shone a shining star,
    So he took her to his bosom, and by morn her form returned,
    And he shifted West to find the high Valar.

And in Valinor he went before the high,
    In doing so, resigned himself to die.
    Take up arms against the Shadow, asked he of the high,
    of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)
    of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Adrianna
    Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 5:45pm

Post #22 of 204 (3016 views)
    Shortcut
         Picking myself off the floor! Nice side by side pic! [In reply to]  

Yes, I would agree. I believe he was a grieving loving father who did the best he couldHeart

I'm going to play devil's advocate:

But you know what life goes on just because your immortal does not mean you can not continue to live. I know I know it's not easy when you lose someone you love deeply but I'm pretty sure his wife would not have wanted him to be that way or to waste away. I'm pretty sure she would have wanted him to love again if possible and to not shut the world out like he did.

From what I see he would have so much of himself to give to someone.

Life is to short even though elves are immortal still why waste it.

Maybe if he had had someone there to help him move on maybe it would not have been so hard for him.
    Heart

Adrianna
    Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 5:57pm

Post #23 of 204 (2977 views)
    Shortcut
         Exactly! [In reply to]  

Yes, elves are not perfect either. We all have flaws and there is room for improvement.

We do see him coming out of his shell towards the end. This is not a king that is perfect and not even per say is uncompassionate. For we see him giving aid to the Lake-town people and him deciding hey this battle is not worth me losing anymore soldiers. I'm out peace.

I do plan on seeing BOFA again, probably on Monday.

I continue to have a greater understanding the complexity of our elvenking.

Thank you so much Thrall fans HeartEvil

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 7:05pm

Post #24 of 204 (2987 views)
    Shortcut
         interesting topic for sure [In reply to]  

IMO, a good answer is a quote from a movie review I have seen the other day:

"For a brief, touching moment, the imperious king finds within himself the father he has forgotten how to be.”

And while this may not specify him a good or bad father, it states the key 'issue': the father he has forgotten how to be!

I think to even consider him a bad father is plain wrong. I can't imagine him treating his child everything but good, but as someone mentioned in one of the previous threads, he constantly reminds him of his late wife (and why she died- to save their son, though I do not think he blames Legolas in any way or hates him for what happened) and that also might lead to him being the way he is as a father. Not the closest person to Legolas for sure, but still loving him with all his heart even though he isn't showing that (can't show that).

Plus: that he went to look for his son also shows how he cares. Thranduil knows how dangerous it was for his son to go there, reason enough for him to go after him and make sure of his wellbeing.

That being said, and for some odd reason, I just thought how cool of a scene it would be to have Legolas fight orcs just as his father arrives. Thranduil rushes there and together they slay the orcs. Side by side.

PS: Thranduil Defense Squad all the way!

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Ilmatar
    Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 7:49pm

Post #25 of 204 (2969 views)
    Shortcut
         :) [In reply to]  

Thanks for the welcome (in the old thread), Lurker!

I guess I would be what you here call an "appreciating non-Thrall". While not an active follower of this thread, I can definitely see where the fascination is coming from Wink and would not mind at all if there was an audience with the Elvenking available for us mortals...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.