The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thorin and Azogs final effort

boldog
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 7:57am

Post #1 of 17 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Thorin and Azogs final effort Can't Post

Is it just me, or did anyone else find the part where Azog slowly pushes his blade towards Thorins chest, super intense? I was literally shaking. Everything went perfect in that scene to make me feel that way. Anyone else agree?

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 9:18am

Post #2 of 17 (708 views)
Shortcut
I definitely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a very intense (and tense) scene. The two of them, no one to interfere on behalf of either of them, in what was a duel of pure strength and nerve... I thought that was a very good ending for both of them. I didn't like the foot stabbing part, because I kept wondering how Thorin could not see that coming, but the end was great.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 9:28am

Post #3 of 17 (717 views)
Shortcut
Best and most intense duel in the cinematic [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth universe even if you knew the outcome beforehand.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 11:42am

Post #4 of 17 (671 views)
Shortcut
I didn't like it [In reply to] Can't Post

It was too graphic and almost painful to me. However, it was effective.Unimpressed

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 11:59am

Post #5 of 17 (649 views)
Shortcut
Denial ain't just a river in egypt [In reply to] Can't Post

Mind you Thorin has not been the brightest dwarf when it comes to Azog in all the movies. I mean he was telling himself for a good part of AUJ that of course Azog must be dead even though both Gandalf and Balin were eye rolling on him.

Somebody made a nice post about Azog being a metaphor of Thorin's tragic fate - always pursing him and Thorin thinks he can get away but he always doomed to fail and die.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 4:17pm

Post #6 of 17 (626 views)
Shortcut
Thorin is just fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

All about him was great.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 4:50pm

Post #7 of 17 (560 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed the sequence [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the fight on the ice was creative. I liked the choreography of them having to keep their footing (especially Thorin) on the cracking ice. The whole part was totally intense at the end their with Azog pressing downward. I did like Thorin making the trade, sacrificing his own life to kill Azog as a result. He was in a no win situation and he knew it. Thus he saved not only his own dwarf kin but the rest of the allies as well by knocking off Azog. I thought that moment was really great. It didn't bother me too much violence wise as there was really no blood there. When Thorin was stabbed and even after he stood up there was not a lot of blood but they still got the idea across which I liked. I did like the one on one with no other interference. All in all I thought the scene was very well done.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 5:05pm

Post #8 of 17 (542 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was splendid. [In reply to] Can't Post

No shaking on my part, but hours afterward I looked in the mirror and found I had a rather enormous bruise on my lower lip, probably from repeatedly (and subconsciously) biting it while watching that scene. That's a first for me.

It was my apprehension about how Thorin's death would be depicted (I was 100% spoiler-free) that kept me from going to BOTFA until nearly a week after its release, so in retrospect I guess the lip biting is understandable!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 5:45pm

Post #9 of 17 (524 views)
Shortcut
Gripping [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the whole sequence, from the chain-dodging duel, to Thorin curiously following the floating Azog, to the suprise and endgame trade-off, to be gripping. I thought it was tightly choreographed and solidly performed. I found myself caught up in the action. It might be the best, most intense duel sequence in the six movies. I will have to rewatch a few times.

He was born of mortal frailty mixed with Elven fallen realm,
Comin’ home to a land he’d never been before.
Arvernian behind him, sailed the seas of Middle-earth,
You might say he didn’t know what lay in store.

When his wife came out to find him she'd been turned into a bird,
Upon her breast there shone a shining star,
So he took her to his bosom, and by morn her form returned,
And he shifted West to find the high Valar.

And in Valinor he went before the high,
In doing so, resigned himself to die.
Take up arms against the Shadow, asked he of the high,
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)
of the Valar high. (Fight, fight the Shadow)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 9:12pm

Post #10 of 17 (509 views)
Shortcut
Stupid [In reply to] Can't Post

Both really deserved to die considering how moronic they acted.
Still a nice fight though!

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 9:40pm

Post #11 of 17 (484 views)
Shortcut
Brutally intense... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all I gotta say. The blind rage Thorin has for Azog as they approach on the frozen lake is palpable.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 12:00am

Post #12 of 17 (432 views)
Shortcut
Competely agree with your post [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I was talking to a friend who saw it with me today who also loves sword fights, fantasy, etc. - how do you make the classic epic last stand battle, so often done in movies, fresh?

Some have commented re Thorin following so closely on the ice - IMO he had to, and it had to end there. Backing off meant Azog might escape, and Thorin had already "assumed" once, long ago (also between Azanubizar and watching Bolg, these orcs are so difficult to kill). Not to mention these other orcs that kept showing up.

I utterly hate Thorin's fate. But the fight itself IMO is worthy of this king, and I am glad PJ & co. put such intensity and work into the choreography. It was different, it was brutal, and epic.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Dec 27 2014, 3:05am

Post #13 of 17 (410 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like most scenes where two people are neck and neck (or blade and blade), the good guy usually prevails. My husband and I gasped when Thorin gave in, but all for the purpose to get his shot at Azog. It was so tense I think everyone in the theater was holding their breath.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 3:44am

Post #14 of 17 (392 views)
Shortcut
Fate [In reply to] Can't Post

It was his destiny. I don't like it and I miss the character horribly. Moreso than any other character in the middle earth films right now. But it was his fate and as you said, he had to do the ice dance and he had to look for Azog. It was fate and his destiny that drove him there. I thought it was awesome.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 2:51pm

Post #15 of 17 (347 views)
Shortcut
Canon be damned... [In reply to] Can't Post

The two of them killing each other was the only this could have possibly ended satisfactorily in these films. Ditto Legolas killing Bolg.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2014, 5:43pm

Post #16 of 17 (333 views)
Shortcut
I thought the entire sequence on the ice was fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a brilliant setting for their final duel, and the starkness and difficulties inherent in the environment made their fight even more exciting. The scene with Thorin struggling to keep Azog's blade from him was indeed intense, and the moment Thorin decided to sacrifice himself in order to kill Azog was so unexpected and shocking to me. A terrific - and horrifying - moment in the movie, I think.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 7:03pm

Post #17 of 17 (299 views)
Shortcut
yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did like Thorin making the trade, sacrificing his own life to kill Azog as a result. He was in a no win situation and he knew it. Thus he saved not only his own dwarf kin but the rest of the allies as well by knocking off Azog.

Completely agree, he had to make sure Azog died no matter what.

Besides, I've always felt (even in the book) that Thorin was okay with (happy?) he was dying after Fili/Kili died. I know in the movie he doesn't know about Kili, but he may have guessed, and in the book he had to know about both of them.

Amazing scene!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.