The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Joe Cocker 1944-2014

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 8:26pm

Post #1 of 12 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Joe Cocker 1944-2014 Can't Post

I still think Joe's version of With a Little Help From My Friends is a fantastic example of what honestly felt music sounds like.

But his version of Cohen's Bird on a Wire is a favorite of mine also.

I can remember waiting for my parents to leave and blasting his records as loud as I could get them.

Rest in peace, Joe. You made some great music.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 12:25am

Post #2 of 12 (1312 views)
Shortcut
RIP Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I played all of his stuff and still have the vinyl LP's at my parents house. Loved him. He is missed and he died way too young.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 12:25am

Post #3 of 12 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I think his version of With a Little Help From My Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

with all due respect to Ringo Starr and The Electric Mayhem's Janice Wink is one of those rare songs that many people know and can connect through across age barriers. It really has soul.

R.I.P.

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 3:09am

Post #4 of 12 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely love Joe Cocker.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad Dogs and Englishmen is one of the great live rock albums...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDe0PIPqj0

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 3:22am

Post #5 of 12 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

A favourite version of You are so Beautiful -- yes, very honest.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Dec 26 2014, 7:32am

Post #6 of 12 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Let's Not Forget Joe At The Movies!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sigh and everyone else, Nice off topic here remembering Joe. I was too young for Woodstock Live 1969, but I saw the LOTR length documentary years later and Joe was riveting. His "Little Help" was easily one of the best performances in the flick and he totally shredded it. I remember him rocking out in long hair, sideburns and tie die, snarling, singing softly and roaring his way through the tune. Total emotional commitment to the song.

Joe was also underrated perhaps as a movie soundtrack guy who could enhance a film with great vocals. "Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong" helps make Richard Gere's "An Officer and a Gentleman" the powerhouse movie it is. Joe duets well with Jennifer Warnes(sp?), showing he could be a team player. And who could forget Kim Basinger stripping down to "You can leave your hat on" in "9 and a half Weeks" before a delighted Mickey Rourke. Heh heh, Joe, you rascal.

So here is a toast at Christmastime to Mr. Cocker who will surely be missed. On vacation now, gotta play "Feeling Alright" off Mad Dogs and Englishmen LP vinyl when I get home!!

The 13th Warrior and Joe fan.

Ps I would also like to remember another rocker god from that era, also in Woodstock. The late guitarist Alvin Lee of Ten Years After whose rendition of Going Home to My Baby also killed it--Woodstock movie was weird, Cocker, Ten Years After and some of the lesser known acts annihilated Crosby Stills Nash Young and other more established, bigger names, IMHO, really refreshing back in the day.Cool

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 1:29pm

Post #7 of 12 (1282 views)
Shortcut
RIP to a wonderful artist [In reply to] Can't Post

And loved his unique, full-bodied sometimes rasp.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 7:55pm

Post #8 of 12 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about Alvin Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

here's the RIP thread for him:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=580086#580086

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 1:25am

Post #9 of 12 (1276 views)
Shortcut
"I'm going home by......helicopter" [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Magpie, I will check it out. Go to a Tolkien worldwide message board, and you end up talking Joe Cocker and Alvin Lee, go figure, why I love this board!!!

The appreciative 13th Warrior, regards.Cool

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 10:47am

Post #10 of 12 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Follow Up and Props to Ten Years After [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Magpie, went to the Alvin Lee link you provided and put a little written tribute to him in the thread. Very gratifying, thanks,
The 13th Warrior, regards.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 1:59pm

Post #11 of 12 (1264 views)
Shortcut
ah, nice tribute [In reply to] Can't Post

I've written about Woodstock a few times here. :-) It also left an impression on me.

You've probably noticed that threads don't jump to the top of the queue when they get a new reply.

Although its fine to post in an old thread, almost no one will see it. You put us on notice in a thread on page 1 that you've posted in an old thread so someone can check it out if they want.

For most topics, you can just start a new thread as soon as an old one is on page 2 (The Hobbit board tends to stay active even on page 2). In this case, I think what you did is a good option. Also just posting your tribute for Lee in the Cocker thread would have worked. Threads tend to go off topic easily on TORn. :-)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 1 2015, 12:51pm

Post #12 of 12 (1259 views)
Shortcut
He's so iconic of the 70s for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I blasted his music, too, Magpie. I still do.

I also remember that he was one of those hard-core rockers everyone thought wouldn't live into his 30s. I'm so glad he proved them all wrong and gave us more and more incredible songs.

Rock on, Joe.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #3

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.