The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Symbolism in BOFA and the Hobbit trilogy

Saneliur
Bree

Dec 26 2014, 6:46am

Post #1 of 9 (885 views)
Shortcut
Symbolism in BOFA and the Hobbit trilogy Can't Post

I don't know if there's an existing thread dedicated to this, but I found there is rather interesting (intentional or not) symbolism in this last movie and the trilogy as a whole. One particular detail that many might not know, stuck out to me.

There's an interview where Richard Armitage talks about a Deleted Scene between Thorin and Bilbo in Rivendell, in AUJ:

"I talked [with Bilbo] about where I was born, and seeing fireflies on the roof; being born in darkness, underground... His childhood has been quite claustrophobic and insular... very much under the control of his father and his grandfather."

I don't know if this was intentional, but I thought it was beautiful contrast to how Thorin dies:

Outside in the light, atop Ravenhill, looking at the sky with eagles flying overhead. And the only person at his side when he dies is Bilbo, a hobbit. It is strikingly different from his circumstances at birth and his origins, being raised underground in Erebor and always surrounded by other dwarves. Almost the complete opposite one can say.

Has anyone found other interesting symbolism, metaphors, or parallels within the Hobbit movies?

--------------

And the written interview is here: http://www.theonering.net/...s-to-theonering-net/
Also he talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUEiaDQ0tk

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 7:33am

Post #2 of 9 (596 views)
Shortcut
Metaphorical Symbols [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Saneliur, a wee while ago I started a thread concerning visual metaphors and symbols in DOS:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=750069;#750069

One that I did not include was the image of blowing fallen leaves, which occurs at least three times in DOS. The same image occurs in BOTFA as well. The falling leaves can symbolize the last days of autumn, a metaphor for the last days of this age of Middle-Earth.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 26 2014, 7:50am

Post #3 of 9 (600 views)
Shortcut
Arrgh! I would like to have words with PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Why can't he just give us everything in the EEs already!? Mad

*shakes finger* Bad, bad PJ AngelicLaugh

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 26 2014, 4:46pm

Post #4 of 9 (457 views)
Shortcut
Here's another! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought there was a nice visual parallel in two of Thorin's scenes - the part where he walks on the gold-plated floor in Erebor and hallucinates a manifestation of Smaug underneath him reflected in the gold, and the scene where Azog floats beneath him under the ice on Ravenhill.

Just as Thorin finds himself consumed by the gold in the earlier scene, Azog also bursts from the ice and pins Thorin down. Both scenes are resolved by a selfless act by Thorin - in Erebor, he throws away his crown and lets go of his greed to help in the battle outside, on Ravenhill, he sacrifices his life to remove the leader of the orcs.

To me, the Ravenhill scene was a nice callback to the earlier Erebor scene - Thorin's greed for gold and his actions after retaking Erebor finally found redemption through his selfless actions on Ravenhill.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 27 2014, 7:05pm

Post #5 of 9 (305 views)
Shortcut
That's a nice way to look at it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 28 2014, 7:04am

Post #6 of 9 (294 views)
Shortcut
Nice! That's what I got too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I guess you made it through the marathon too, ScorchsterSmile

Another one I like is the imagery of Thorin all alone on the broken throne, in contrast to the full glory of Thror in AUJ and being surrounded by trusted aides and family.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 1:27pm

Post #7 of 9 (292 views)
Shortcut
This is only one particular moment [In reply to] Can't Post

but it relates far beyond: At the end of BotFA, young Bilbo comes back into an empty Bag End. As he stands fingering the Ring in his pocket, he is facing his large window. The light is streaming in, illuminating his face, but behind him it is utterly dark. He turns slightly to look down toward the Ring, and the shadow creeps over his face.

A very fitting segue into the LOTR series, I think. Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 28 2014, 3:55pm

Post #8 of 9 (281 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Although I was quite exhausted by the end! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you seen it a second time? I saw your post in the review thread, and I shared quite a few of your concerns about the film after the marathon. But the film felt a lot better on my second viewing when I was more rested - I guess the marathon really sapped quite a lot of my energy, even with copious amounts of coffee.

And yes, Thorin all alone of the broken throne was a great visual reminder of how he was now king and possessed all that gold, but at the expense of kin and friends.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 29 2014, 8:26am

Post #9 of 9 (263 views)
Shortcut
I did! [In reply to] Can't Post

And did a follow-up post on it too. It is easier to accept the second time round, but meh, I still can't embrace the whole.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII | XXVIII | XXIX

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.