Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 4:21am

Post #1 of 33 (1876 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here.

It's okay to post BOTFA reviews/reactions in this thread. If you are posting spoilers, just mention that in the subject line. Or post non-spoiler stuff, then a spoiler warning, then spoiler stuff.

Or post one post that's non-spoilery and another post that has spoilers.

Make it work for you! You can even repost what you wrote on the Hobbit board, if you like, since some people who frequent this thread don't read on the Hobbit board.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 6:26pm

Post #2 of 33 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Bomby hazz a Ritual for the Evening of the "Turning of the Tide" [In reply to] Can't Post

NEW Year's Eve...Goldberry & Bomby
LOVED to watch one of the FIRST&MOST...Fantasical Movies
of ALL time...

Frank Carpa's 1937 production of James Hilton's BOOK

"LOST HORIZON"

MORE than Many Memories of a Quiet little Green Spot
where if you STAY there..YOU NEVER DIE?

VALINOR in Tibet?

{ HINT HINT ..}

EVERYone HERE..circle around...
your Families' PARTY TREE

& Sing..Auld Lang Syne"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGx7dimJ6ns

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 7:05pm

Post #3 of 33 (1588 views)
Shortcut
STOP! Wrong URL...OPPS...This is the YouTube [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxnmaVTlZA

BOMBY can
BE such a
BOZO?

YUP! that... he izzz.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mikah
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 2:43am

Post #4 of 33 (1580 views)
Shortcut
BoFA and Silver Linings Playbook [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Battle of Five Armies well enough. Like most other movies, it had its good points and some that I could live without. Nothing that really stands out as exceptional though, but overall a pretty decent movie.

Silver Linings Playbook was hilarious. I really did laugh out loud during many parts of it. Even woke my husband up...oops. If you are looking for a funny movie on Netflix, I definitely recommend!

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 26 2014, 5:55pm

Post #5 of 33 (1574 views)
Shortcut
My list [In reply to] Can't Post

1)Gone Girl: Perhaps the worst Fincher film i have seen so far but still quite good. The intriguing aspects of the story were significantly diminished after the first 40 minutes of the film transforming it into a more typical ode to damaged relationships. 6.5/10

2)Into The Storm: I cannot even make a single comment on this movie. Probably the worst i have seen the last years. Atrocious directing and acting, worst dialogue lines, lack of tension in everything, bad cinematography and unconvincing visual effects. 3/10

3)Mr Peabody and Sherman: I quite enjoyed it. Recommended for family viewing during Christmas. 7/10

4)The Guest: Nice and tight story turned into a generic action adventure movie near the end. 6.5/10

5)The Maze Runner: Decent but not memorable at all. 7/10

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 6:03pm

Post #6 of 33 (1564 views)
Shortcut
an asst of 'sad endings' [In reply to] Can't Post

In the space of a few days I saw
TH:BOTFA - which made me cry
the last episode of Babylon 5 - which made me cry
the last half hour of The Little Princess with Shirley Temple - which I remembered watching with my mother years ago when we both cried.

I will write more about The Hobbit later but I've also watched this last week:

Snowpiercer - I think this suffered a little by my having pre-read a lot of praise about it (I went in with more expectations that I care to) and with my older tv which darkened the picture too much. I loved "The Host" by the same director and I think that was, in part, because I didn't have any info or expectations going in.

It was an interesting movie, and I didn't dislike it. It just didn't wow me like it did lots of others. Tilda Swinton was a hoot.

The first Doctor Who episode with Peter Capaldi. I thought there was some very interesting stuff in there esp about Clara's difficulty accepting an older Doctor. As I age, I realize how much I think most of us think of 'old people' (and set that age at any age which works) as someone who's always been old with all the physical and behavioral traits that go along with that. But we haven't always been old. We are not OLD PEOPLE. We are people who are in a particular stage of our life and have been and will be in lots of other stages. Seeing past that surface and into the heart of someone is essential and I think this was the first time I've connected with the new Doctor Who in this way.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one again and, as a rule, I forget the DW episodes as soon as I watch them.

Jack Reacher - typical Tom Cruise movie. He does this 'character' well and he knows it. I understand the appeal of this sort of character and I don't mind an actor embracing a character type and doing it. But there's a bit of 'control' I sense in these sorts of characters that I think appeals to Tom and perhaps bleeds over into his own personal beliefs that trouble me a little. Characters like Reacher know what is right and will enforce what is right on their own. That works for us as long as we all agree who is in the wrong. And I think it's more palatable as a movie character than a real life character. But I don't know Tom so who am I to judge?

And I'll add, this is why I liked Edge of Tomorrow (Live, Die, Repeat) so much. It shed all the stereotypical traits for that type of character and we got to see a really different Tom Cruise - and he nailed it, imo. He should venture out more.

Ring of Fire - miniseries about an oil company that drills in the wrong spot in Pennsylvania (I think) and starts a catastrophe that could end the world by sparking global volcanic activity. Only of interest to those addicted to end of the world catastrophe movies. I watched it while cleaning because I wouldn't mind skimming it.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - enjoyable. Also watched The Lego Movie - ditto.

Definance, season 2 Okay. Maybe better than season 1. I had to read stuff to figure out some of the plot arc.

Wallander, UK - although I'm not sure I'll stop quite yet, I've decided I really don't like this series. This is way too angsty and Wallander is far too much a *victim* of circumstance and life for my taste.

and finally, Firefly - a few episodes to pass the time here and there. Man o Man I freaking love this series. And every time I watch it, I love it just as much and often more.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 6:04pm

Post #7 of 33 (1563 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree with you on Into the Storm [In reply to] Can't Post

and I've watched some pretty bad catastrophe movies. I think this movie got abandoned along the way somehow.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 11:50pm

Post #8 of 33 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who Christmas special [In reply to] Can't Post

Meh. I think I'm done with this incarnation - after every viewing, I pretty much think, "why did I just watch that?" Oh well, BBCA is now playing a marathon of series 3 with my favorite Doctor (David Tennant). Blink is coming up soon - awesome.

#OneLastTime

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 27 2014, 12:06am

Post #9 of 33 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the Christmas special didn't do anything for me either. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 4:49am

Post #10 of 33 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Mr Turner: don't miss this one [In reply to] Can't Post

There was an amusing moment as we waited for the film to start. It seemed to take forever for the previews to start, and when they did there was only one, and it was for...Mr Turner. You could feel the ripple through the theatre as we all wondered if we were at the right movie. When the end of the preview said, 'Coming soon...', a man called out with the most perfect timing, "Coming very soon, we hope!" which made everyone laugh. There was much relief when the correct movie began.

Anyone who has been waiting for this film will not be disappointed. I feel I can confidently say this. It was a very satisfying experience. Every frame could have been a painting, and it was a fascinating portrayal of the time. I tend to agree with the reviewer who described it as Timothy Spall's career defining role: he is absolutely stunning. But there are no dud performances anywhere. I really want to see this one again.

Afterwards we were compelled to have a re-watch of Simon Schama's 'Power of Art' Turner episode, which was the perfect companion piece. If anyone hasn't seen this series it is an absolute gem.

I saw Battle of the Five Armies earlier in the week and loved it. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 7:12am

Post #11 of 33 (1541 views)
Shortcut
if only it would open here [In reply to] Can't Post

a city of 1.1 million people and Mr. Turner isn't playing anywhere Unsure

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 7:34am

Post #12 of 33 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Oh no :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

That is horribly disappointing. I'm sure you would still enjoy it very much in a smaller format, but naturally it is glorious on the big screen and benefits greatly from this format.
Where do you live?

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 8:06am

Post #13 of 33 (1534 views)
Shortcut
San Antonio, TX [In reply to] Can't Post

Although we do have a few art houses, theatergoers here seem to favor action movies. Of course I shouldn't point fingers; I didn't see any original Turner paintings till I was out of grad school.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 27 2014, 8:15am

Post #14 of 33 (1536 views)
Shortcut
If it makes you feel any better, [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never seen a Turner original that I can recall, unless it was a long time ago in a touring exhibition.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 12:39pm

Post #15 of 33 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Let me tell you which movie I want to see [In reply to] Can't Post

The Interview (which isn't opening in my country for some reason). It's probably a generic raunchy comedy like all Seth Rogen movies, but I do want to see what all the fuss was about and just what exactly which parts that Kim Jong and his pals were offended by.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 1:50pm

Post #16 of 33 (1531 views)
Shortcut
fwiw: it's not 100% determined that N. Korea is actually involved in this [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.wired.com/...ck-experts-disagree/

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 27 2014, 1:51pm

Post #17 of 33 (1527 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't be bothered to watch it [In reply to] Can't Post

And I say that as a huge fan of Capaldi's Doctor (Currently my 2nd Fave after Hartnell and Mcgann). I'll probably get round to watching it eventually, but it's almost becoming a chore to watch the series. The Christmas Specials are normally terrible, but I'm starting to think Steven Moffat's ego and workload is getting in the way of the series, he's too much of a fan with too much responsibility...
Unsure

If you are done with the TV series, you could always check out some of the Audio Adventures by Big Finish (there are Hundreds of stories, so the quality does vary, they currently only have a license for the First 8 doctors) :

https://wilybadger.wordpress.com/...o-big-finish-audios/

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._plays_by_Big_Finish

http://www.bigfinish.com/hubs/v/doctor-who

http://www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm

(This is a general reference guide to the series, with release dates, ISBN's durations of episodes etc)

http://thetimescales.com/Doctor_Who/

(Reviews and Ratings)

The only down side to this, is they can be rather expensive, though the first 50 in the 'Main Range' are permanently discounted (£2.99 each on Download), and Big Finish has frequent sales. The Main Range is generally marketed at fans of the 'Classic Series' but several ranges and story-lines were designed as jumping on points for new listeners.

The 8th Doctor Adventures in particular were designed in tone and pace to replicate the New Series of Doctor Who (1 hour episodes instead of 4 25 minute episodes) and are an excellent jumping on point for listeners (Paul Mcgann is brilliant, and in some ways is a forerunner to Tennant, the slighty eccentric romantic hero with too much time and curiosity on his hands, David Tennant actually features in around a dozen Big Finish Audios as different characters), BBC Radio 4/8 sometimes plays them.

http://www.denofgeek.com/...tor-audio-adventures

I would of course look for reviews or clips on youtube first before you take the plunge if it does interest you at some point (I have to be honest..most of the people who listen to Big Finis are probably hard core fans). I doubt this will actually be of interest to you, but I'm always happy to give Big Finish more publicity

Smile

(This post was edited by malickfan on Dec 27 2014, 1:56pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 27 2014, 4:49pm

Post #18 of 33 (1518 views)
Shortcut
It was really bad wasn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have also seen bad disaster movies in the past but i could not simply stand how unprofessional Into the Storm looked. For a television movie it would be below mediocre but as a cinema release it's plain bad,in every aspect.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 9:56pm

Post #19 of 33 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey season 5: Christmas Special [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful episode. I am someone who often think that this show can be very overly sentimental, corny and not very subtle at all. But this one found the tone just right. Emotionally satisfying without pushing it, and marvelous production values. A feast for the eye. My favorite DA episode by far.

Spoiler: I loved that mrs.Hughes and Carson got married! Finally! I love those two!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 27 2014, 9:57pm)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2014, 7:05am

Post #20 of 33 (1499 views)
Shortcut
The Imitation Game [In reply to] Can't Post

Benedict Cumberbatch is simply amazing. From Sherlock to his involvement in the likes of Hawking, Cabin Pressure, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Fifth Estate, Star Trek, etc., he has shown himself to be a versatile, immersive actor. He seems to research his roles well and has always made interesting choices in his projects.

His role as Alan Turing in The Imitation Game is garnering all kinds of award nominations, and they are well deserved. I found this to be a terrific film about one of the most important men of our time. And it is also heartbreaking, seeing what he had to endure and, in the end, submit to. I think it's an important film on many levels, one that makes us feel - and makes us think.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2014, 5:51pm

Post #21 of 33 (1474 views)
Shortcut
"Mr. Turner" is scheduled for February in our city (in the U.S) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really looking forward to this one, heard nothing but good things about it.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2014, 6:09pm

Post #22 of 33 (1480 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm the lone "into the Storm" fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Being both an Armitage fan and a tornado movie junkie, I just couldn't believe my luck. Like I told one of my friends, I felt like I had just won the movie lottery. Smile But I admit, the "found footage" film style and the vey awkward directing in some scenes left me underwhelmed after the first viewing. But of course I went back for more, and after getting used to the way it was filmed I really warmed up to the characters and the story, and realized that in spite of the director the actors were doing a wonderful job. And one important note - this is definitely a movie made for big screens. The tornado scenes in IMAX with really good sound were tremendous - the scariest I've ever seen.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

(This post was edited by Elarie on Dec 28 2014, 6:14pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 6:48pm

Post #23 of 33 (1477 views)
Shortcut
I don't fault the actors at all [In reply to] Can't Post

and you're not the only one who liked it. :-)

When it first came out and was being actively discussed, I was pretty much the only one who didn't like it. Most others who were looking forward to it did like it.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 28 2014, 8:32pm

Post #24 of 33 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Nope, you're not the only one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it for the same reasons you do, and will agree, it definitely had more of an impact on the big screen. I saw it in IMAX and it was really impressive. I saw it with 3 different friends and they all liked it too - we were all on an adrenaline buzz afterwards. I think it did suffer a bit since it was originally supposed to be all found footage, and not really a lot of a scripted story, but then it was expanded to be more of a mainstream type production. Still works for me though! The BR is sitting on my tv stand right next to TH ones. Smile

#OneLastTime

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 28 2014, 9:49pm

Post #25 of 33 (1464 views)
Shortcut
I liked "Into the Storm" as well [In reply to] Can't Post

but I would say the script was a bit predictable - then again, it's a disaster movie. I knew one of the crewmen was a goner as soon as he mentioned his fiancee'. I did find the scene where the two trapped kids were filming goodbyes to their parents to be very touching, though. I think "found footage" movies aren't very good to begin with, since they don't have a cohesive story. This one tried to have it both ways, it definitely slipped outside the "found footage" format a few times, which helped a bit. But the reason the movie did better than expected is simply because of Richard Armitage - his "army" would see him in anything! I think he did okay with what little he had to work with, but he was much better as Thorin Oakenshield!EvilHeart

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.