The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Unbroken" will replace BOFA at my XD theater tomorrow

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 2:40am

Post #1 of 13 (870 views)
Shortcut
"Unbroken" will replace BOFA at my XD theater tomorrow Can't Post

Oh yeah? IMAX, here I come - personally I think huge scenic vehicles like BOFA deserve the "super-theaters". This surprises me, this early. Too bad, Cinemark - off to Regal instead.Unimpressed

Mind you, not that BOFA doesn't have plenty of both 3D and 2D shows listed. But I love the MINDBLOWING type experience.Cool

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 26 2014, 5:05am

Post #2 of 13 (555 views)
Shortcut
Seems inexplicable [In reply to] Can't Post

The other film does not look like fodder for a great deal of people (I certainly won't be seeing it). Perhaps the cinema was paid to put it on?Crazy

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 5:40am

Post #3 of 13 (531 views)
Shortcut
Saw it in 2D today on a large screen and it looked good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it first in HFR Real3D and though interesting, I really did not
notice the 3D that much. Since I will be viewing the EE blu ray 2D I wanted to see it for comparison. I don't think it lost anything with the 2D format.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 26 2014, 6:48am

Post #4 of 13 (545 views)
Shortcut
After only a week in India... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of our local theatres are down to just one showing a day Frown

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 8:00am

Post #5 of 13 (517 views)
Shortcut
In the days of LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I heard that the Indian release suffered badly from mangled translations and extra scene cuts. Is that true for TH?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 8:03am

Post #6 of 13 (498 views)
Shortcut
2D is just fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw AUJ at the Embassy in Wellington, with all the trimmings, and preferred the 2D version I saw here at home. So I've seen the other two in 2D as well. When I'm conscious of the 3D, it's a distraction, and I hate the glasses.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 26 2014, 8:08am

Post #7 of 13 (500 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about translations as I watched the movie in English [In reply to] Can't Post

Come to think of it though, I haven't seen any advertisements in my local newspaper for the movie playing in any other languages. I do recall seeing them for AUJ though, so this is weird, and I actually had not thought about it until just now.

As for scene cuts, I don't think BOFA had any (the runtime seems to be on par with the rest of the world). For that matter, none of the LOTR or TH films I watched in English had any cuts. There may have been cuts when the film played in local languages due to "sensitivity" issues. I did notice in BOFA that all the scenes that had people smoking had an ugly advisory at the bottom right.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Dec 26 2014, 8:09am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 8:32am

Post #8 of 13 (500 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thank you for this info confirming [In reply to] Can't Post

what is happening on Chennai's side as well. Where are you located in India?

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 26 2014, 8:43am

Post #9 of 13 (502 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it weird that the movie seems like it's on its way out so soon? [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to catch at least one more showing in the cinema before I'll be confined to watching it on my laptop. I'm in Pune by the way.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 12:50pm

Post #10 of 13 (458 views)
Shortcut
You're lucky to live in a very big city and still have [In reply to] Can't Post

the possibility of seeing it another time. One week ago, on last Friday, it was already becoming difficult to find it in Chennai - although it still played to a full room in the multiplex where I finally managed to see it.. It was already down to one show a day everywhere where it still ran. A shame, I'd say.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Dec 26 2014, 12:53pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 4:10pm

Post #11 of 13 (423 views)
Shortcut
Movies [In reply to] Can't Post

No longer do most movies stay in cinema like they did even 10 or 13 years ago for LOTR. Movies in cinemas now come and go quickly because there is such a low margin for cinemas (at least in the U.S. I don't know about overseas) to make money. Cinema's get very little money off the movie itself and make money off the concessions. Movies are heavily frontloaded now by the studios and the cinema needs to keep new movies coming in to get the people in to buy concessions. With most blockbuster movies especially the take by the studio is 70% or more of the ticket price for the first week or so, then it goes a bit more to the cinema but not much. So cinemas bank on new movies to get people in so they will buy the popcorn and candy. It's the only way for them to make money and even then some of them are in trouble financially.
The whole studio/cinema distribution/money model is really outdated and it's killing the industry in my opinion.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 4:45pm

Post #12 of 13 (411 views)
Shortcut
Well, this was a mall cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

So if a studio PAYS to have a film shown a certain way - I don't know. This "Xtreme" Digital is the priciest of the theaters out of 18 or so at the multiplex. BOFA still has a big block of 3D and 2D shows.

I WAS surprised in that "Unbroken" just doesn't seem to me to be the kind of movie where you need an epic scale, or warrants that kind of experienceUnsure. Maybe it is the TV channels I usually watch, but there has been one commercial after another for Unbroken - lot of hype. I've seen more commercials for Unbroken than BOFA on TV, but that is subjective.

*Shrug* I wish I lived in a less urban areaFrown. But a comment someone on TORn posted - that the closest movie theater is 60 miles from them - that's a lot. So I guess I have some compensations, like being able to switch over to the floor-to-ceiling IMAX for BOFA. Personally I wouldn't spend money to see Unbroken as 3D tho it may be a very good film.Unsure

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 4:58pm

Post #13 of 13 (407 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't either [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't see Unbroken in IMAX either. it's not the type of film that really needs that format. Again though it's not about the film it's about the concessions because even if a studio makes a film for a certain format, the reimbursement rate is the same when the movie goes out regardless of the screen I believe. So if Unbroken puts more butts in the door that's more people that buy the other stuff. That's really what it's about unfortunately. But I agree that Five Armies is much more the type of film for the larger screens. I haven't seen yet what our IMAX is doing i'll go out there today and check it out.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.