The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A few interesting questions #2

boldog
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 11:06pm

Post #1 of 5 (3846 views)
Shortcut
A few interesting questions #2 Can't Post

I have some more questions regarding Tolkiens lore.

1. Why does the coastline of Beleriand resemble the coast line of 3rd age middle earth so much?
When I first saw the map of Beleriand I actually thought it was middle earth only with different features from a distant time. The Bay of Balar is almost the exact same as the bay of Belfalas, both having an isle in them. The Gulf of Lhun is identical to the Firth of Drengist. Pretty much the whole coastline greatly resemble the other. Did Tolkien intend this? Or did he just do it by chance?

2. Why does Angband not show up in the Beleriand maps?
It was the "Mordor" of the first age, and it was where a lot of major events took place in that time. It just always baffled me that it never shows up on the official map. It literally is only a bit further north then the Ered Wethrin, so It could have easily fit snug on the map.

3. Could Durins Bane have become the "third" dark lord?
When you think of it, the Balrogs are mighty beings and are only slightly lesser than Sauron among Morgoths ranks. Im sure if Durins Bane challenged Sauron, it would be a very close battle. But say Gandalf never fights and defeats the Balrog, and the ring is destroyed and Sauron defeated, could the Balrog rise as a new dark lord? He would easily have the same fear upon the orcs as Sauron did. I can really see him becoming a powerful foe, if he was bothered to leave Moria.

thoughts?????

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 26 2014, 1:57am

Post #2 of 5 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Balrog as dark lord [In reply to] Can't Post

He had the power and scary personality, but it seems to me that balrogs are very obedient and don't show the initiative needed to be a leader. And maybe they're not smart enough either. The balrog had plenty of time to sit in Moria and gather an orc army to build up his own little realm like Angmar or Mordor, but he never did. It's like he retired after Morgoth's fall and only reacted when disturbed.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 3:45am

Post #3 of 5 (3687 views)
Shortcut
We had a bit of a chat about evil leaders. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a link, and it perfectly encapsulates the argument, I think.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

PhantomS
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 9:40pm

Post #4 of 5 (3656 views)
Shortcut
a few interesting answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Why does the coastline of Beleriand resemble the coast line of 3rd age middle earth so much?

Beleriand is almost a rectangle, and its west coast is similar to its eastern border- mountains. Hithlum to the west, the Ered Luin on the east. Hence when it sank the eastern line of mountains stopped any more change. The Gulf of Lhun was the passage Men took to get through the Blue Mountains, and Belfalas is further east compared to where the Bay of Balar was.

No one has ever been there and gotten back out (there's Hurin but he's not a map maker). Mordor had the advantage of being invaded by the Elves and Men and therefore mapped.

3. Could Durins Bane have become the "third" dark lord?

It could have been, although if no one aroused it in Moria it wouldn't have come out anyway. Somehow I do not see it leading Orcs to conquest, as it is more of an independent monster that is secure in its domain. Besides, all the Orcs went crazy when their master died, so he would have no one to command.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Dec 26 2014, 11:13pm

Post #5 of 5 (3712 views)
Shortcut
the map [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was the "Mordor" of the first age, and it was where a lot of major events took place in that time. It just always baffled me that it never shows up on the official map. It literally is only a bit further north then the Ered Wethrin, so It could have easily fit snug on the map.

Christopher Tolkien refers to confusion concerning the geography of the far North. On Tolkien's Second Silmarillion map the distance between Menegroth and Thangorodrim was 218.75 miles (just under 73 leagues). In The Grey Annals however, the distance of 150 leagues (450 miles) from Angband's gate to Menegroth: '... seems to imply a great extension of the northern plain. The geography of the far North is discussed in V. 270-2, but since it is impossible to say how my father came to conceive it I discreetly omitted all indication of the Iron Mountains and Thangorodrim from the map drawn for he published Silmarillion.'

In War of The Jewels (in The Later Quenta Silmarillion section), the 'second map' is reproduced, in which Thangorodrim (for example) is depicted, but for the many details within I would have to refer you to the whole section.

Concerning Tolkien's map however, Christopher Tolkien notes: 'the colossal triple peaks of Thangorodrim are surrounded by a closed circle of lesser heights, and there is no suggestion of the 'great curving wall' of the Iron Mountains from which 'the towers of Thangorodrim were thrust forward.' I am at a loss to explain this, but in all the years during which my father used this map he never made any mark on it suggesting that the picture should be changed.'

For part of an 'external answer', anyway.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.