The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Brand New here, question about Collector Edition movies

Caress of Steel

Dec 25 2014, 11:05pm

Post #1 of 9 (887 views)
Shortcut
Brand New here, question about Collector Edition movies Can't Post

I own dvds of LOTR over 10 years ago...
They have extended etc scenes, came with figurines, and they slip cases make them look like books.
I really like the look of these LOTR dvds (blu ray didn't exist when these came out!)
MY QUESTION; Are there versions of THE HOBBIT, that follow the same design (dvd or blu ray) ???
I would like them to be consistant so I can also display them.
Thank you!

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Dec 27 2014, 2:59am

Post #2 of 9 (749 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

There are special extended edition collector's versions, but they don't follow the "book" format of LOTR. You can find the Desolation of Smaug one here. The only place I found the Unexpected Journey one was one eBay, so it may be out of print. Warner Bros. didn't publicize these the way New Line did with the LOTR EEs. Hope that helps.

Kristin

Caress of Steel

Dec 27 2014, 12:14pm

Post #3 of 9 (721 views)
Shortcut
thank you for your time [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your help!
Unfortunately, its not the answer I want to hear :-(

At this point I guess I'll be holding out for the future possibility of a combined HOBBIT/LOTR blu ray package that maybe will be packaged better than a cheap plastic exterior!

So much effort went into the ART of the movie, it is an absolute shame that its thrown into a case like every other out there...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 7:55pm

Post #4 of 9 (719 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

As Kristin already pointed out, they're not available... at least in the format like the LotR dvds. BUT we can hope that there will be something available in the future when all 3 Hobbit films' eedvds are completed. Hopefully those in charge will see the wisdom in that :)

Welcome to TORn!! I hope you stick around!!! :D

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 12:28pm

Post #5 of 9 (699 views)
Shortcut
One way around it... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you buy the Collector's Edition BR boxed sets and the UK DVD editions you can swap out the BR for the DVD - plus, download and print TheHutt's excellent exclusive booklets for AUJ and DoS and you will end up with something comparable. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Caress of Steel

Dec 28 2014, 1:20pm

Post #6 of 9 (695 views)
Shortcut
thanks for trying to help [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm not sure I follow you...

I am looking for best packaged version (VISUALLY) in terms of the actual cases which hold the discs.

I wish I knew how to post pics (but I assume on a board such as this many know what the Collectors Edition LOTR dvds look like..).
I have the "No Admittance" bookends of Gandalf and Bilbo with the above mentioned dvds displayed in my home theater.
Looks fantastic, but all of the Hobbit packaging looks ugly.
Cheap shiny plastic covers which are not worthy of display.

Are you saying there is a UK version that looks better?

What is The Hutt? I am new on here and not following you, but THANK YOU!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 2:16pm

Post #7 of 9 (699 views)
Shortcut
Well, I am talking about getting the boxed set which contains the EE BRs... [In reply to] Can't Post

from Amazon:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/...W6Qwx7L._SL1500_.jpg (only if you want the statue, of course)

and also purchasing the UK EE DVD package (if you can view Region 2 discs where you are) to give you the closest match to the original LotR DVD fold-out packaging:

http://i5.walmartimages.com/...-411daf33456c.v1.jpg

plus downloading the exclusive booklets produced by TORn poster TheHutt:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...ed%20booklet;#797135

Hope that's clearer!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Dec 28 2014, 2:18pm)

Caress of Steel

Dec 28 2014, 2:22pm

Post #8 of 9 (691 views)
Shortcut
Completely understand now! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! Exactly what I was looking for when I joined this site. I just knew that other fans were as passionate as me and that someone could help.
THANK YOU for your time and knowledge!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2014, 4:41pm

Post #9 of 9 (709 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure - and a warm welcome to the Boards! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.