Merry Christmas!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 6:16pm

Post #1 of 47 (896 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas! Can't Post

It's 7.15am Christmas Day here in NZ and it's dawned overcast and muggy - it's going to be a hot one! I'm about to get into food prep for lunch at my brother's (slicing the ham and putting cream in brandy snaps). If the day turns really hot, I might get my first swim at the beach for the season.

As Christmas rolls around in your part of world, please post here about how you'll be celebrating it! I hope you all have a lovely Christmas Day. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 24 2014, 6:17pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 6:35pm

Post #2 of 47 (774 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to you too! [In reply to] Can't Post

So far I am loving my holiday in the big smoke. The weather has been kind, not too muggy, which suits me.
I will be heading off with my sister to family north of Auckland today. Fresh salmon, and green salad are on the menu,
followed by champagne fruit salad. I expect a good quantity of NZ sav will be consumed.
And we get to be first with the Christmas posts here on TORn!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 6:42pm

Post #3 of 47 (772 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's snowing here. Which is especially nice as we were ankle-deep in rainwater and mud just a few days ago.

We just got back from my grandmother's. Traditional family dinner tomorrow. But on a more exciting note, one my cousins is currently in labour and should deliver THE gift of this Christmas any minute now! ShockedSmile

Kim
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 6:44pm

Post #4 of 47 (762 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heading towards Christmas Eve here, and it's fairly cold and overcast (typical Seattle Christmas). Will be spending the day tomorrow with the family, which will involve brunch, presents and general merriment. There will only be 12 for brunch, and 16 for presents, so a smaller than usual gathering for us. But we should be able to phone/Skype with the family members in other parts of the country.

Hope everyone has a great holiday! Smile

#OneLastTime

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 6:48pm

Post #5 of 47 (770 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas! [In reply to] Can't Post

Neil is currently cooking our Christmas Eve dinner of steak and home made chips. I have spent much of the day baking for tomorrow as I am in charge of desserts. Chocolate Yule log and mince pies are the usuals, but this year I have also made a raspberry and thyme custard tart for those wanting something a bit different.

Looking forward to tomorrow, it will be quiet, with just us, Neil's folks and my Dad. We will visit my brother and family at some point to hand out gifts, but they have decided not to join us for dinner as my niece still isn't 100%.

There is a large, long parcel under the tree with my name on that is very intriguing...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 7:04pm

Post #6 of 47 (756 views)
Shortcut
I like the sound of your lunch. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Drive safely! I hope the road maniacs give you a wide berth.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 7:06pm

Post #7 of 47 (758 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on the soon-to-be youngest cousin! What did your (older) cousin think when she realised her due date was around Christmas?

I'd like to experience a snowy Christmas one day. A lot of our traditional Christmas foods are too heavy for a summer Christmas, but I like the idea of having hot ham and plum pudding when it's cold outside. :)

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 7:07pm

Post #8 of 47 (748 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas Kim! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 7:08pm

Post #9 of 47 (758 views)
Shortcut
I take it your niece is out of hospital now? [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW that custard tart sounds absolutely divine. I wouldn't say no to getting the recipe... Wink

Let us know what that long parcel is! Is it, perchance, sword-length?

Ataahua's stories

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 7:20pm

Post #10 of 47 (757 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in the Southeastern US we are having a very rainy, warm day--and I am right on the coast and they don't call it "Tidewater Virginia" just because the name sounds nice on the tongue! I am hoping against hope not to have tidal flooding this evening. That would be a first for Christmas, and not one I'd like to experience.

We have our family celebration on Christmas Eve evening, so I have just now finished mad cleaning (the parts that show!) and getting the last decorations up in time for the company that is about to descend. Having a grandson who is just now old enough to "get" the excitement (he's three) makes it such a wonderful time! I make my traditional non-traditional pick-up supper of broccoli and cheese soup and heavy snacks and we just have a lovely family evening.

If we don't all float away...

Merry Christmas to all celebrating, and a happy holiday to all and sundry here at Torn!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Through any dark time, I always remember Frodo's claim on the side of Mt. Doom that he "can manage it" because he must.
Sometimes, I have to manage it, too, as do we all. We manage because we must.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 7:25pm

Post #11 of 47 (754 views)
Shortcut
"No need to worry about what to get grandmother for Christmas this year" [In reply to] Can't Post

My grandmother has been talking about how she can't wait to have a great-grandchild for years now. Especially as all her friends and acquaintances do. Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 7:34pm

Post #12 of 47 (741 views)
Shortcut
That's excellent! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 7:35pm

Post #13 of 47 (742 views)
Shortcut
Stay dry, a.s.! :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 7:56pm

Post #14 of 47 (748 views)
Shortcut
Yes, out of hospital thankfully [In reply to] Can't Post

But still not quiet back to herself. Hopefully she will perk up enough to enjoy some of tomorrow.

I will find the link for the recipe and message you, the thyme is an interesting addition.

And yes, it certainly looks sword shaped to me! I haven't picked it up, in fact I've been forbidden from doing so, but I'm itching to get my hands on it tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day :)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2014, 8:14pm

Post #15 of 47 (740 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Storm clouds

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 11:17pm

Post #16 of 47 (738 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

Off to a party now, presents tomorrow morning, then the feast! I make turkey with stuffing (made with raisins soaked in Sherry). And pies from Real Pumpkins using my grandmother's recipe.

And later, Skyping with my far-away folks, brother and wife and my niece and nephew. Quiet day, but I prefer that. I like to sit and stare at the tree and soak up the meaning of the season.Smile

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 25 2014, 12:37am

Post #17 of 47 (744 views)
Shortcut
Merry/Happy Christmas!... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not been here in a loooooooooooong time... aging parents keeping me occupied... but I thought I'd drop in before going for Christmas Eve dinner with my brother and family, just to say I hope y'all have a very Merry/Happy Christmas with lots of goodness.... oh and off to see The Hobbit 3 on Saturday... YAY!

FELIZ NATAL! Smile Heart

[ Don't you just miss my...................... Wink ]

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2014, 2:37am

Post #18 of 47 (732 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas diedye! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to see you here again. :)

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 5:05am

Post #19 of 47 (732 views)
Shortcut
A very Merry Christmas everyone :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wide awake since 3am and it has just gone 5am. I feel like a child again. Not because I am actually excited, but because it is baby DanielLB's first Christmas. I'm excited for him, even though he won't remember a thing.

I'm pretty sure Father Christmas has visited ours. When is it acceptable to wake him up? Wink

Have a lovely day everyone.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 5:36am

Post #20 of 47 (735 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas and to all a good night [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just past midnight December 25th here in balmy Ontario. The temperature hit almost 15C today with fog thick enough to discourage Rudolph. As well we had thunder and rain; presently the wind is howling -- the weather outside is frightful.

We had a nice family gathering this eve, which may be my step-dad's last. Now I'm hunkered down for a long winter's nap.

Many blessings to all of you this day.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Dec 25 2014, 5:38am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 6:38am

Post #21 of 47 (724 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas, from beginning to end in New Zealand. [In reply to] Can't Post

This bit of a head start here let me send off Christmas emails to family and friends in North America and Europe in the quiet morning hours, after blueberry pancakes. Then a lovely afternoon meal with a sort of Mexican flavour together with Tolkien friends. It is decided that hobbits would love chocolate panna cotta and home-made almond ice cream for dessert. They would also have liked how quiet the city of Wellington becomes on the one day a year that most things are closed and folks are at home or on the beach (not today because it was cloudy and drizzly as!)

Now a chance for a few more emails, including this one to you nice lot, then tomorrow's Boxing Day Dr. Who Christmas Special and marathon. I quite like Boxing Day. Whatever you call Dec. 26 where you live, may the feelings of peace and friendship of the 25th continue for us all.

Cheers,
Liss

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 7:04am

Post #22 of 47 (722 views)
Shortcut
Merry First Christmas to DanielLB, Jr.! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a special day for your family, Daniel. No wonder you can't sleep! Remember, it's ok for you to be excited, but he gets to open his own presents. Wink

You know what this is, of course. It's never too early to introduce Dad's favourite Hobbit character to the lad. Cheers!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 12:13pm

Post #23 of 47 (720 views)
Shortcut
It's a boy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm officially no longer a member of the youngest generation of my mother's side of the family. Woot!

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 25 2014, 1:52pm

Post #24 of 47 (710 views)
Shortcut
You never wake up babies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a great holiday & enjoy that baby. They grow up too fast.,

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 1:57pm

Post #25 of 47 (712 views)
Shortcut
That's pretty exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a perfect Christmas present!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.