Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Could the BotFA EE be rated R? Anyone know the source of this quote?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 4:35pm

Post #1 of 33 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Could the BotFA EE be rated R? Anyone know the source of this quote? Can't Post

I found this quote today that's supposed to be from PJ but I don't know the original source. Does anyone know where it came from?

“Wait for the extended cut of this film,” Jackson said. “There are a few orc killings that we actually got knocked back. Because when we submitted this to the MPAA we got an R. So what you’re seeing is the result of heavy editing to even just get the PG-13.”

I don't know how I feel about the EE being rated R. It would be the first ME movie, EE or not to ever get such a rating wouldn't it? Do y'all think these extra violent orc killings will even really get included? I'd hate for any good, added character moments to get pushed aside or rushed just for the sake of more battle. If more battle scenes get added, the only way I'll be Ok with it is if they aren't gory and if they serve the purpose of furthering a storyline and aren't just more violence for the sake of more violence.

What do you all think about this?

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

But in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth, I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song

Then rang the bells more loud and deep,
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."
~Casting Crowns "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Dec 24 2014, 4:36pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 4:42pm

Post #2 of 33 (758 views)
Shortcut
Bring it on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

I'm not turned off by gory battle scenes myself, and I doubt they'll come at the expense of character moments (which will or won't go into the EE, regardless of little bits added to the battle scenes).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 4:50pm

Post #3 of 33 (739 views)
Shortcut
Bring on BEORN IN RAGE MODE [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling that might be part of what got the initial cut rated R.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 33 (741 views)
Shortcut
Even if the MPAA gave the initial cut of the film an 'R' rating... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I somehow doubt that Peter and Co. had ever had any intention of making anything other than a PG-13 film, and so I also somehow doubt that the Extended Edition cut of the film is going to have anything in it that would push the rating from PG-13 to R.

The fact that Pete's original cut of the film may have received an 'R' rating speaks more to the MPAA rating system being heavily outdated and obsolete than it does to the actual content of said cut.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 33 (718 views)
Shortcut
I certainly do not want more violent battle scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

…even though I'm sure PJ delights in them. I'd like more character moments with key canon characters, explanations and closure most of all.

I'm not surprised about the rating – the film is not really appropriate for children, even though I saw plenty of them in the cinema the other day. Had I seen the film as a child, I would have had nightmares.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 24 2014, 4:56pm

Post #6 of 33 (741 views)
Shortcut
R for EE? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they even re-rate EE DVDs? I am skeptical...

Other PJ EEs are bloodier than their TEs, so I am not even sure this would be a first.

adu
Bree

Dec 24 2014, 4:57pm

Post #7 of 33 (721 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

many extended editions that come out on blu ray have a warning in the back of sorts stating that 'the extended material is unrated'...or something along those lines. So maybe this will be similar?

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 4:57pm

Post #8 of 33 (690 views)
Shortcut
Different strokes for different folks [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard of toddlers seeing Star Wars for example without issue. But I also know someone who had a bad night or two after seeing those movies.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 4:58pm

Post #9 of 33 (701 views)
Shortcut
Think they do [In reply to] Can't Post

They re-rated he AUJ EE in order to include the dwarves nude bathing scene, so I assume they've re-rated the others too.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 5:02pm

Post #10 of 33 (680 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

But you can't even see any nudity in the bathing scene. Why would they do that?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 5:04pm

Post #11 of 33 (687 views)
Shortcut
Could be [In reply to] Can't Post

Along with Thranduil, Beorn is the only one I want to see fighting more. Still, I personally don't feel the need for anything particularly gory, even when it comes to orc deaths. Then again the EE's have and do change right up until the moment of release and in reality, orc deaths don't bother me as much as the deaths of the other people of ME, so maybe I'm worrying for no reason.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 5:07pm

Post #12 of 33 (677 views)
Shortcut
I dunno. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could sort of see a dwarven posterior or two, but I hardly felt it was worth mentioning. It's not like you could see any of them from the front.

Anyway, yes they did mention it in the rating and I remember how many people were really wondering what that could be about until they saw the EE.

DjU
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 5:50pm

Post #13 of 33 (732 views)
Shortcut
Here is the original source [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...to-middle-earth.html

In fact, and correct me if I am wrong, I feel like there are way more beheadings in this trilogy than Lord of the Rings, many of which come at the hands of Legolas.

There probably are. See, the trick too, as a filmmaker, you’ve got guys fighting with blades. They don’t have guns or machine guns or grenades. So when you want to kill people, you’ve got limited options. One of the weird things with these films, which I must confess I actually quite enjoy, we sit around thinking how we are going to kill an Orc. You actually turn into a psychopath. And actually I can think of a hell of a great way to kill Orcs but I am always restricted by PG-13, unfortunately.

What would you have done if you had the R rating?

Oh all sorts of great things. I will tell you what, you wait for the extended cut of this film. There are a few Orc killings that we actually got knocked back. Because when we submitted this to the MPAA we got an R. So what you’re seeing is the result of heavy editing to even just get the PG-13. But there will be a little bit of Orc killing to be seen in the extended cut.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 6:10pm

Post #14 of 33 (677 views)
Shortcut
That sounds truly diabolical [In reply to] Can't Post

If this is what is planned.Crazy

Thrain II
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 8:44pm

Post #15 of 33 (592 views)
Shortcut
Maybe this is [In reply to] Can't Post

connected to Beorn, since PJ confirmed we will see more of him in the EE, maybe his slashing through orc ranks was short because it's too brutal?

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Dec 24 2014, 8:54pm

Post #16 of 33 (561 views)
Shortcut
I've had the same thought [In reply to] Can't Post

And I kind of hope that is the case. It'd feel like some small justification for why he was cut out of the theatrical cut, and I hope all of it is reinstated in the EE.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 10:26pm

Post #17 of 33 (516 views)
Shortcut
the violence [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought about that in respect to Martins kids who are like 6 and 9. I know both of his kids saw the first two. I'm nor sure as a parent whether I would let my 6 year old daughter especially see the film. It's pretty violent.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 11:18pm

Post #18 of 33 (492 views)
Shortcut
yes you can [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's REALLY blurry.

You can definitely (and clearly) see some rear ends, but I watched it closely to try and see who was where (I was sure I got my headcount wrong, but I was right- there are only 12 dwarves, not 13, in that fountain- Thorin's missing). When Fili and Kili slide down their makeshift "water slide", there's erm, a rather dark colored view of "down south"- again, very blurry so there's no definition, but there is a quick scissor kick as he goes up and over (just before he lands in the water) that leaves things a bit...open....Crazy

I can see that justifying the rating, or even just the rear end clip- and NO, I was honestly just trying to do a head count, nothing more Crazy

As to the R rating- I'm willing to bet that "horror film director" PJ wanted Beorn's mauling the orcs ahead of him to be pretty amazing to behold, and animal maulings will almost ALWAYS earn an R rating (I don't think the MPAA makes exception for skinchangers lol Wink).

So look at it this way- the rating may mean more Beorn, who is a canon character that I believe you felt was gypped in the film as a whole, and in his feats in the battle. So in a way, this may actually give you what you wanted Cool

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 12:06am

Post #19 of 33 (466 views)
Shortcut
My EE AUJ is rated PG-13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 2:34am

Post #20 of 33 (435 views)
Shortcut
Rear ends and things [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think more killing – by Beorn or anyone else – will give me what I wanted.

Sorry, but have just had a little much of the booze.Evil

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 2:41am

Post #21 of 33 (431 views)
Shortcut
clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

What I was meaning was that you wanted more Beorn, and his main presence in the part of the book where the BO5A is involves single-handedly turning the tides of the battle, and crushing Bolg.

My apologies if I misunderstood, but I had thought you wanted Beorn to have the Bolg victory, in which case that would involve tweaking so he had more killing (and Legolas by extension less) in the EE. And crushing Bolg would undoubtedly earn an R rating in the states...

My bad Evil

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Dec 25 2014, 2:43am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 2:58am

Post #22 of 33 (415 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I most certainly did want more Beorn, but it is rather too late to think of him having the Bolg victory, because he does not in the cinema edition.

Forgive me if I am not making myself clear, but it is 3 a.m. here in London.

glor
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 3:18am

Post #23 of 33 (421 views)
Shortcut
I had a feeling.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.after viewing BOTFA, that some of the editing might be due to ratings issues. Film Board Classifications are often rather odd and their decision can be conservative. It is also worth bearing in mind that these films are a global phenomena and that some countries are more conservative than others or have different distinctions e.g bad language is considered to be less of an issue than violence in much of Europe whereas the reverse is often true in North America.

With scenes of a violent nature, the classification boards that decide that rating can seem erratic in their very subjective decisions, for instance, some critics mentioned that TTT and ROTk would have gotten R or 15 ratings if they were not fantasy but historical epics. Also, sometimes it is the amount of violence, so one or two Orc beheadings might be fines but a dozen might just push the boards into giving it a higher classification.

There is also the possibility that certain character scenes may up the ratings if the acting is intense/believable enough, there is a fair chance that, that could apply to BOTFA.

Basically, just because the EE could be R rated doesn't mean it will be more violent, in the negative sense, if you get my meaning, it might just feel more realistic in the battle sequence or just be because Beorn being a huge bear like creature, cuts his way through the orc army, or it could be because there is more of Thorin's madness, or it could be a combination of all of these which just tips it over the edge into the R or 15 category.(yeah it's 3am here too,Happy Christmas Cool)

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on Dec 25 2014, 3:19am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 3:23am

Post #24 of 33 (399 views)
Shortcut
Happy Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm finished.Evil

glor
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 3:23am

Post #25 of 33 (404 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

as we have seen with these EEs so far, that the EE contains a change of scene.

Has it occured to anyone that Legolas Killing Bolg was shot because PJ knew that the scenes he had shot with Beorn turning the battle and beheading Bolg would have to be cut from the TE because of ratings issues?

No mascara can survive BOTFA

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.