The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Saruman

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 8:09pm

Post #1 of 13 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Saruman Can't Post

Any one else feel like "Leave Sauron to me" in the trailer was such a huge tease that it ended up feeling a bit like a lie? Just seems odd. I hope we get a Sauron/Saruman scene in the EE - that plot line felt unresolved to me.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 13 (591 views)
Shortcut
I think a trailer that acts as a teaser sounds like a trailer that's doing its job! [In reply to] Can't Post

What was unresolved about it, given that Sauron cannot be destroyed and still turn up in LOTR?

What would you like to see in an additional scene? Sauron has fled/been banished to Mordor so I'm not sure what else could happen.

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Dec 24 2014, 8:23pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 24 2014, 8:29pm

Post #3 of 13 (596 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

Chase Sauron down to Mordor, only to see how far ahead the Dark Lord already is; and later at the end of the film we could see Saruman uncovering the Palantir in Orthanc before the scene cuts. A little bit more realistically-speaking, I'd also like to see Sauron and Sarumanfight a bit in Dol Guldur before Galadriel goes nuclear - this seems possible to me as the cuts of that scene felt weird in spots, plus there is that un-used shot of Sauron from the trailer.

And why tease Saruman vs Sauron if you could tease Saruman and Galadriel vs Sauron instead since that is what the film went for? Why mis-lead people?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 8:44pm

Post #4 of 13 (575 views)
Shortcut
I think Saruman going to Mordor sounds tricky [In reply to] Can't Post

How would he get there in the timeframe left in the films? Presumably it would only make sends to those who have ready seen of read LOTR as Mordor would be a new concept for TH viewers. I'm also not sure what that would add. Elrond already tells us that Sauron will return and remains a danger to Gondor - having Sarunan ride up, look at some orcs and ride off again would seem to leave us in exactly the same position.

I rather like the idea of a palantir scene for the EE, though I think him finding in DG is a much richer option - opens up all sorts of layers between the trilogies.

Misleading is not in question. To take an interpretation of a line from a trailer, without any context, and assume a specific scene will follow is just to misunderstand trailers. I imagine they used it because Galadriel had already featured heavily, they wanted to include Saruman and that's his best line.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Dec 24 2014, 8:52pm

Post #5 of 13 (552 views)
Shortcut
It was a tad misleading maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's what trailers do, as a big movie buff and someone who follows many big franchises aside from this one, I've seen it all before. Better just accept it my friend, though I understand the disappointment. Maybe we can get a bit more Saruman in the EE anyway, even if it isn't specifically fighting Sauron.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 11:02pm

Post #6 of 13 (512 views)
Shortcut
It's a teaser for LotR. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't expect to see any more Saruman in this EE, at least, I hope not. Saruman has promised to deal with Sauron, and those seeing LotR for the first time may be surprised to learn how that "dealing" ended up.

And I really hope nothing is said about the Palantir in the EE!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 11:02pm

Post #7 of 13 (514 views)
Shortcut
Big tease! [In reply to] Can't Post

The flames of war are upon you..

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 25 2014, 12:07am

Post #8 of 13 (502 views)
Shortcut
I think they setup his fall quite nicely via character... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't expect to see any more Saruman in this EE, at least, I hope not. Saruman has promised to deal with Sauron, and those seeing LotR for the first time may be surprised to learn how that "dealing" ended up.

And I really hope nothing is said about the Palantir in the EE!

I think the Hobbit films setup Saurman's fall quite nicely via his character rather than actually having him show any hit of a turn.

Saurman as we see him in this film is self important and pragmatic, exactly the traits that lead him into believing first that the only hope is to join with Sauron and then that Sauron's own methods are infact correct.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 25 2014, 12:07am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 2:19am

Post #9 of 13 (441 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 4:55am

Post #10 of 13 (428 views)
Shortcut
because they want to get lots of $$$$$ [In reply to] Can't Post

simple.

The flames of war are upon you..

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:21am

Post #11 of 13 (409 views)
Shortcut
Too simple perhaps...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 10:37am

Post #12 of 13 (389 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman's fall is still supposed to come as a surprise in FOTR, but not one that would make the viewer go "Now where did THAT come from?!"

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 4:35pm

Post #13 of 13 (373 views)
Shortcut
I think it's fine like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I generally want more of everything, expecially Dol Guldur. I desperatly want it to be expanded in the EE... but not that scene.
That scene leave open the future betrayal of Saruman.
Sauron is banished from DG, he took a nice kick in the nuts from Lady Awesomeness; now Saruman will keep eye on him... and we know how it will end.
If eventually they decide to expand it, I hope they leave that sense of uncertainty about Saruman, like it is now.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.