The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien's death of Smaug: American inspiration revealed

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 3:27pm

Post #1 of 2 (615 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's death of Smaug: American inspiration revealed Can't Post

I hope this hasn't already been posted somewhere on Torn, but I found the recent article by John Garth in The Guardian very interesting. I'm not enough of a Tolkien scholar to argue its points, just presenting it here for those who might be interested.

Tolkien's death of Smaug: American inspiration

Smaug is made in the image of medieval Fafnir, the archetypal hoard-dragon of the Icelandic Volsunga saga, and it’s been supposed that his death owes something to the way Sigurd digs a pit to stab Fafnir in the vitals. But I felt a sudden, prickly recognition when reading – of all things – Longfellow’s 1855 poem The Song of Hiawatha.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Through any dark time, I always remember Frodo's claim on the side of Mt. Doom that he "can manage it" because he must.
Sometimes, I have to manage it, too, as do we all. We manage because we must.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Dec 24 2014, 7:22pm

Post #2 of 2 (521 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting! I connected Sigurd slaying Fafnir more with Turin and Glaurung, in a very general sense anyway... getting under the beast to strike him while he is yet unaware.

And I think in the Sigurd legend (or one of the Germanic versions anyway), the blood of the Dragon gave the hero understanding of bird language, or similar, which is yet again, only a general something, and obviously comes after the stabbing.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Dec 24 2014, 7:33pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.