The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Ork Food/ Warg Milk

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 24 2014, 3:25pm

Post #1 of 8 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Ork Food/ Warg Milk Can't Post

Where do Orks (beside raiding) get their food? It's not like there would be Orks pulling weeds or planting oats!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 4:25pm

Post #2 of 8 (987 views)
Shortcut
I think they Shop at the Ukuk hai-permarket [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 6:33pm

Post #3 of 8 (979 views)
Shortcut
Gorbag's "Vomitorium" was popular throughout Gorgoroth... [In reply to] Can't Post

GORBAG'S EATS photo ORCHUMORCARTOON-1.jpg

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 7:37pm

Post #4 of 8 (971 views)
Shortcut
Slaves// [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 9:09pm

Post #5 of 8 (956 views)
Shortcut
Slaves seems a very likely answer!// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 12:39am

Post #6 of 8 (964 views)
Shortcut
Not sure there is an answer [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien left a lot of economic questions unresolved. There are others that don't add up, such as the Elves living in the center of Lorien forest somehow making bread--you need grain for that, and grain needs open fields, unless there's a special Lorien grain that likes tree shade.

The Orcs of Moria are hard to explain food-wise: unless they had an abundance of mushrooms and underground fish, what did they eat? The land around them was desolate, so they didn't have slave farmers to grow them food, nor did they have nearby farms to raid on a regular basis. I'm not sure there's an answer.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2014, 1:42am

Post #7 of 8 (947 views)
Shortcut
I believe that the slaves around the sea of Nurn... [In reply to] Can't Post

were the main producers of food. Oddly enough, it was the most fertile land in Mordor and peopled by slaves. I cannot recall whether this was the stated source, but I do remember that Aragorn (King Elessar) gave the thralls that were freed from Mordor the entire land of Nurn.

On another tangent, I always wondered why they would stay... Didn't they hat it there? Or did the Elves help make it pleasant?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

demnation
Rohan

Dec 27 2014, 2:33am

Post #8 of 8 (972 views)
Shortcut
I actually think he put more effort into economic stuff then most authors would have [In reply to] Can't Post

The fields of southern Mordor are described as farm land, and so are the Pelennor fields. But money is certainly a big thing we know next to nothing about, so you are more or less right.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.