The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Three actors portraying the same character

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 24 2014, 12:31pm

Post #1 of 13 (9408 views)
Shortcut
Three actors portraying the same character Can't Post

An interesting occurrence in this trilogy that I don't think anyone has touched on yet is how there are 3 different characters portrayed by 3 different actors:
1. Bilbo - Ian Holm reprises his LOTR role as a link into that trilogy; Martin Freeman plays the present-day Bilbo in this trilogy; and Oscar Strik plays Bilbo as a child in the prologue of the EE of AUJ.
2. Thráin - Though I don't entirely know for sure (if anyone wants to confirm or counter this, be my guest), I've surmised that Thomas Robins portrayed Thráin in the Erebor sequences in the prologue, Mike Mizrahi played him in the Battle of Azanulbizar sequences, and Antony Sher played him in the Dol Guldur sequences.
3. Bolg - Conan Stevens played him during the Battle of Azanulbizar sequence in AUJ (though, because he was never actually identified as being Bolg there, I like to pretend he wasn't Tongue), Lawrence Makoare played him via motion capture and CG in DOS, and John Tui also via motion capture and CG in BOFA. Anyone know why Makoare wasn't available to also play him in BOFA? Unsure

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 12:45pm

Post #2 of 13 (8796 views)
Shortcut
Does Azog count too? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because we know they shot his stuff with Conan Stevens and John Rawls before bringing in Manu during Post-Production and motion-capturing everything.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 24 2014, 12:51pm

Post #3 of 13 (8758 views)
Shortcut
Tricky [In reply to] Can't Post

... since we know most (if not all) of the initial Azog performance in AUJ was 'painted over' with Manu Bennett's mo-cap performance.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 12:53pm

Post #4 of 13 (8740 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, which is why I wondered if he counted.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 1:10pm

Post #5 of 13 (8732 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo was the only one that was obvious to me.Smile

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 1:27pm

Post #6 of 13 (8762 views)
Shortcut
Sauron and Witch King of Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

SAURON
Sala Baker (costume, FOTR, ROTK)
Alan Howard (voice, FOTR, TTT, ROTK)
Benedict Cumberbatch (voice, mo-cap, AUJ, DOS, BOTFA)

WITCH-KING OF ANGMAR
??? (costume, FOTR and perhaps TTT)
Lawrence Makoare (costume, ROTK)
Andy Serkis (voice, ROTK)
??? (Mo-cap or CGI, AUJ, BOTFA)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

DjU
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 1:35pm

Post #7 of 13 (8696 views)
Shortcut
Shane Rangi & Brent McIntyre [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
SAURON
Sala Baker (costume, FOTR, ROTK)
Alan Howard (voice, FOTR, TTT, ROTK)
Benedict Cumberbatch (voice, mo-cap, AUJ, DOS, BOTFA)

WITCH-KING OF ANGMAR
??? (costume, FOTR and perhaps TTT)
Lawrence Makoare (costume, ROTK)
Andy Serkis (voice, ROTK)
??? (Mo-cap or CGI, AUJ, BOTFA)

Witch-King & other Nazgul in FotR and TTT would have just been stuntees - although I believe Shane Rangi & Brent McIntyre are generally credited for the Witch-King in FotR.

Also if you count the man playing him as one of the actual Kings of Men in the Prologue you have another actor there too. :)

(This post was edited by DjU on Dec 24 2014, 1:45pm)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 3:34pm

Post #8 of 13 (8656 views)
Shortcut
One actor playing multiple characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not counting cameos of crew members like Peter Jackson and Co.

Only Hobbit trilogy:
LUKE EVANS
THE HOBBIT: Bard, Girion

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
THE HOBBIT: Smaug, Sauron/Necromancer

CONAN STEVENS
THE HOBBIT: Bolg, (Azog), Dol Guldur dungeon keeper

MARK HADLOW
THE HOBBIT: Dori, Bert

WILLIAM KIRCHER
THE HOBBIT: Bifur, Tom

PETER HAMBLETON
THE HOBBIT: Gloin, William

Only LOTR trilogy:

SALA BAKER
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Sauron, Mauhur, Lugdasch, Murgasch

JOHN RHYS DAVIES

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Gimli, Treebeard

Appearing in both trilogies:
LAWRENCE MAKOARE

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Lurtz, Gothmog, Witch-King
THE HOBBIT: Bolg

STEPHEN URE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Grishnâkh, Gorbag
THE HOBBIT: Grinnah, Fimbul

BRET MCKENZIE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Figwit
THE HOBBIT: Lindir
--> Officially not the same character

THOMAS ROBBINS

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Déagol
THE HOBBIT: Thrain

JED BROPHY
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Nazgûl, Rohan Rider, Rivendell Elf, Snaga, Sharku
THE HOBBIT: Nori

ANDY SERKIS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: Gollum/Sméagol, Witch-King
THE HOBBIT: Gollum/Sméagol

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Legomir
Rivendell

Dec 24 2014, 3:50pm

Post #9 of 13 (8612 views)
Shortcut
Brian Sergent [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus there was Brian Sergent, who played Ted Sandyman in FOTR and one of the siders in DOS!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 3:57pm

Post #10 of 13 (8639 views)
Shortcut
Wait a sec... [In reply to] Can't Post

...regarding Thrain - that is Antony Sher in the Moria flashbacks in DoS, no? He has different make-up, but in the close up shots with Thorin and when he's facing off against Azog, I'm sure that's him.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Legomir
Rivendell

Dec 24 2014, 4:15pm

Post #11 of 13 (8598 views)
Shortcut
Antony Sher [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a source, but I think I heard Antony Sher was brought in during pick-ups to beef up Thrain for the second film (to give it a theme of fathers and sons?). Originally, I think, it was Thomas Robbins during Erebor and Azanulbizar and then Mizrahi at Dol Guldur, which I guess either had different dialogue or a lot less. Then Sher came in and filmed scenes from both time periods. Again, this could not be right, but I think it's what I heard.

DjU
Lorien

Dec 24 2014, 4:35pm

Post #12 of 13 (8578 views)
Shortcut
Sher [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...regarding Thrain - that is Antony Sher in the Moria flashbacks in DoS, no? He has different make-up, but in the close up shots with Thorin and when he's facing off against Azog, I'm sure that's him.

Yes, Antony Sher played Thrain at Azanulbizar in DoS, however the brief glimpses in AUJ it would have been Robbins, Mizrahi or a Double - as it was filmed over a year before Sher.

Although, its never truly been confirmed which parts of Thrain were played by Robbins or Mizrahi - other than Robbins being credited as 'Young Thrain' so likely indicating he might be 'Erebor' Thrain with Mizrahi either being Azanulbizar Thrain or Original Dol Guldur Thrain (and merely being contractually credited for AUJ in the same way that John Rawls was despite not appearing and Conan Stevens for appearing for a split second.)

Infact according to what we know most of the Thrain stuff was filmed in three chunks each separated by a year!

Block 1 - 2011 - Dol Guldur - Original Thrain Dol Guldur footage when most of the other Dol Guldur Footage was filmed

Block 3 - 2012 - Erebor - Footage of Thrain from the Prologue, was presumably filmed in early 2012 when all the Erebor interiors were being filmed.

Pick-ups - 2013 - Antony Sher films as Thrain doing bits for Moria Flashback and revised Dol Guldur scenes

The only bit I never been entirely sure of is when the original Azanulbizar scenes were filmed - and which actor that would tie into.

(This post was edited by DjU on Dec 24 2014, 4:36pm)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 25 2014, 1:44am

Post #13 of 13 (8482 views)
Shortcut
The credits... [In reply to] Can't Post

... were what had me the most confused. Robins wasn't credited at all for AUJ, while Mizrahi wasn't credited at all for DOS. I don't recall seeing Thráin at all during Azanulbizar in AUJ. I wasn't aware that the shot of him speaking with Thorin during the battle (seen in the prologue of the EE of DOS) was also shot with Sher. So is it possible we never actually see Mizrahi as Thráin?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.