I only give a gift to one person.
I give to five or less people.
I give to ten or less.
I give presents to twenty or less.
I give gifts only to family.
I give gifts only to friends.
I give to both family and friends.
I give to co-workers.
I give to teachers, my minister or others who have helped me or my family.
I always give to charity this time of year.
I only give to charity this time of year.
I buy gifts for my pets.
Other (please explain).
I give gifts to over twenty people.
View Results (69 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2014, 9:46pm

Post #1 of 7 (516 views)
Shortcut
Tis the Season of Giving Can't Post

For anyone comfortable sharing personal info on their holiday habits, how many and to whom do you give presents this holiday season? Please select every option of the following that is true. (Sorry, last option fell out of order.)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 11:30pm

Post #2 of 7 (390 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a tradition in our family that instead of giving each other gifts (which we may not end up liking), everybody gets themselves a gift (chooses something they know they like/want/need).

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 5:37am

Post #3 of 7 (373 views)
Shortcut
We've kind of drifted into that, [In reply to] Can't Post

at least Uncle Baggins and I. The gifts work out much better that way.

Our family tradition when I was younger was that everyone would have a wish list, and my mo would coordinate with all the givers to makes sure there were no duplicates. It worked beautifully as long as she was doing it. But nobody wanted to take over the chore once she was unable to. The extended family is about 20 people, so we finally (mostly at my instigation) began only giving within the nuclear families and to the kids.

We also had a thing about "shopping in the basement store" which would result in a present called "an it". If you said, "This is an it," it meant that the recipient wasn't obligated to like it or keep it, since it was just a mathom from the basement.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 3:34pm

Post #4 of 7 (346 views)
Shortcut
Family, pretty much [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife has two of everything so I just give her a nice bouquet of flowers. Smile She's happy happy - I'm happy..

We do buy presents for the younger grandkids. Angelic

But the rest of us buy a single cheapie, jokie, gift for an adult exchange which we put into a nameless pile.
Then we choose a yearly Santa to pass them out and some trading at the end is allowed. It’s lots of laughs and nobody has to join the War of the Merchants in ernest… WinkWink

Annael
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 3:41pm

Post #5 of 7 (347 views)
Shortcut
We do Secret Santa in my family [In reply to] Can't Post

Adults all draw one name and give a nice present to that person. But we also all contribute to stockings, and sometimes those little stocking stuffers can be pretty awesome (nice earrings, etc.).

The children all get presents from everyone.

I also exchange gifts with my BFF's family; I'm an "aunt" to her kids (all grown now). They never understand why I leave & go have Christmas with my family of origin - and in fact, after my folks are gone I'll probably celebrate with them instead.

I bake a special cranberry bread every year in small loaves that I give out to other friends (and a big loaf for the family to have Christmas morning).

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 4:12pm

Post #6 of 7 (352 views)
Shortcut
Call me Scrooge [In reply to] Can't Post

unless you're really young (under six) you won't get anything but cash or a check from me. I take the grandchildren ( there is a fourteen year gap so the activities vary) to several holiday events like concerts, light displays and parades. Too much stuff in their lives as it is.

I'm paying for tickets to the last party in February for my daughter and oldest granddaughter. My mom decided she would stay with the younger kids this time.

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Dec 24 2014, 4:15pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 3:13am

Post #7 of 7 (376 views)
Shortcut
I used to really enjoy x-mas shopping [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved trying to find just the right gift. But between a wonky leg making mobility an issue, and my sister's kids being grown and hard to buy for, I've given up and just do gift cards - usually Fandango cards so they can go out to the movies instead of waiting for dvd's as they usually do. I sometimes buy something for my friend's kids. They are little and enjoy getting a present from "Auntie Zarabia", whatever it is. I wasn't able to this year - messy RL - but maybe next year while they are young and easy to please. Laugh

My baby puppies got brand new beds. They are allowed on the couch and such, but they still love to cuddle up in their beds. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.