Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Do you think we shall see another adaptation of LOTR or the Hobbit in the next 20 years?

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 8:35pm

Post #1 of 21 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Do you think we shall see another adaptation of LOTR or the Hobbit in the next 20 years? Can't Post

Maybe not even in movie form but TV series? If it were ever to happen I'd love to have some actors who starred in the last six movies to come back in some capacity. Martin Freeman would practically be perfect for older Bilbo ;)

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 8:37pm

Post #2 of 21 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Oh no.. this should be the final version [In reply to] Can't Post

although i like them to add things to it

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Dec 23 2014, 8:49pm

Post #3 of 21 (1082 views)
Shortcut
no for lotr, yes for hobbit. especially. .. [In reply to] Can't Post

..what have pj an pb done with saruman and major villain's deaths.
I would love to get another version includes:
Saruman is the one who banish sauron from dol guldur.
Azog is killed by dain.actually azog should not have been alive during the time.
Bolg is killed by beorn.
But what ever happens, if any other middle earth film will come one day, i don't want peter jackson or philippa boyens included in it.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 8:56pm

Post #4 of 21 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Nah - rights to other tolkien works will come up soon enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

* crunch *

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 8:58pm

Post #5 of 21 (990 views)
Shortcut
I'm not really sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see another adaptation just for variety. I dearly love these movies (especially LOTR), but I'd not at all object to more adaptations being made. The worst that could happen is that I'd not like them.

That said, I'm not sure if more will get made that soon. The LOTR trilogy is held as a cinematic masterpiece, and I don't see many people having the nerve to try to supplant them any time soon.

adu
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 9:10pm

Post #6 of 21 (994 views)
Shortcut
"I'm going on an adventure!!!!"-Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it perfectly encapsulates Bilbo's journey and the entire middle earth saga.

pettytyrant101
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 9:25pm

Post #7 of 21 (960 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

if its for TV. I would hate people to only have PJ's version and for non book readers to think it reflected the books or the books characters in some way.
I mean think about i t if it was done for tv, and say followed the hour format similar to the BBC radio adaption in the first couple of epiosdes audiences would see a story they have never seen before in PJ's- you would have different characters, as book Merry and Pppin and PJ's dont bear much of a resemblance beyond names. You could have the 17 years, Gildor and the elves in the Woody End, Farmer Maggot, the move to Crickhollow and unmasking of the conspiracy, time for secondary characters like Fatty Bolger, there would be the Old Forest, Bombadil and Goldberry, the Barrowdowns all before you get to Bree.
To viewers who only knew Pj's version all this good stuff in the first few episodes would all be almost entirely new material.

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 9:29pm

Post #8 of 21 (934 views)
Shortcut
Probably [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point I don't really want other adaptations but looking at how much Hollywood loves sequels and remakes it seems only a matter of time. Probably not immediately, though, because especially with LotR I think PJ's adaptation will stand as the definitive version for quite some time and I doubt anyone would want to touch that. Maybe some 20-30 years from now. We'll probably see other M-E movies sooner, either based on the LotR appendices or, if the rights become available, even the Silmarillion.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 9:33pm

Post #9 of 21 (935 views)
Shortcut
Very happy to see more versions of both. [In reply to] Can't Post

The more the merrier. There is no loss to new versions, only potential gains.

That said, of the potential versions, one which was dragged into a conservative lagoon would be unlikely to be one I would especially relish.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 9:34pm

Post #10 of 21 (927 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't say that in a negative way, Jackson's films whilst great (or not depending on your point of view) are just one interpretation of the book, I'd like to see others, perhaps as an animated TV series that could stick closer to the tone and pace of the books, whilst lowering budget and audience expectation for 'Blockbuster Storytelling'.

I do not doubt the Saul Zaentz company will try and make more films (I believe their option on the rights is perpetual) but If you are going to remake it you might as well go for a slighty different spin on things.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 9:46pm

Post #11 of 21 (949 views)
Shortcut
is that true [In reply to] Can't Post

about those rights coming

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 23 2014, 10:36pm

Post #12 of 21 (878 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

When did Hollywood producers ever leave money on the table?:

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the mantle clock was striking thirteen."

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 1:08am

Post #13 of 21 (825 views)
Shortcut
This is what I'd like to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Something along the lines of a Game of Thrones, 10-12 episode per season of The Hobbit/The Quest of Erebor and LotR. Something with a much lower budget (but not too low), and enough time to include things like the Old Forest/Bombadil/Barrow-downs, Druadan Forest, and The Scouring of the Shire.

And I don't mind backstory exposition, but I'd like for it to at least be a little truer to the text than PJ's backstory exposition (ie no Nazgul tombs, Sauron's presence in Dol Guldur known for a long time, Azog dead by the time of The Hobbit, Isildur not the last king in Gondor, etc)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 1:14am

Post #14 of 21 (803 views)
Shortcut
hmmmmmmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

It took 46 years for someone to do a decent adaptation this time...

I suspect, that now it's been disproven that "it's unfilmable", someone will do another Tolkien tale, perhaps something from the Silmarillion, or the tale of Turin, or Beren and Luthien.

I also like the idea of an epic Game of Thrones style TV series. TV from Star Trek to GOT to SHIELD has proved that special effects on the level of film aren't impossible.

And in 20 years, the tech is going to be outta sight.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 1:39am

Post #15 of 21 (799 views)
Shortcut
NO [In reply to] Can't Post

The flames of war are upon you..

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 2:15am

Post #16 of 21 (795 views)
Shortcut
yes, definitely for The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would also not mind a high quality animated version that could appeal to both adults and children.

A feature film would also be nice.

I think The Hobbit will be made first and in due time The Lord of the Rings...

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 2:53am

Post #17 of 21 (803 views)
Shortcut
No, it's not (as far as we know) [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit, LOTR, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, and The Road Goes Ever On (the song cycle) go into the public domain in 2043. In the meantime, the movie rights to The Hobbit and LOTR are owned by the Saul Zaentz company, and while they are currently licensed to Warner Bros., we might see another adaptation (potentially from a different studio) in less than 30 years. All of the other Tolkien works that people care about (The Silm, UT, HoME, etc.) are under copyright until 70 years after Christopher Tolkien's death, and Christopher is still alive today. Some people think that Christopher's heirs will sell the rights to The Silmarillion once he passes, but there isn't any evidence that this is going to happen, as all of the people who are likely to succeed Christopher share his opinion of the film adaptations we have seen so far.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 6:54am

Post #18 of 21 (772 views)
Shortcut
True but I would argue it doesnt need to happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Hobbit, LOTR, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, and The Road Goes Ever On (the song cycle) go into the public domain in 2043. In the meantime, the movie rights to The Hobbit and LOTR are owned by the Saul Zaentz company, and while they are currently licensed to Warner Bros., we might see another adaptation (potentially from a different studio) in less than 30 years. All of the other Tolkien works that people care about (The Silm, UT, HoME, etc.) are under copyright until 70 years after Christopher Tolkien's death, and Christopher is still alive today. Some people think that Christopher's heirs will sell the rights to The Silmarillion once he passes, but there isn't any evidence that this is going to happen, as all of the people who are likely to succeed Christopher share his opinion of the film adaptations we have seen so far.

Money is of course a big factor(especially when your talking a charitable organisation that can always put more to good use) but we don't know for sure what might happen. What I would say is the Tolkien estate are smart not to sell the rights at the moment, you would end up with a situation like Saul Zaentz with some company buying them for profit, waiting until someone might actually want to make a film would get a much better price and at least give you some idea of the intended adaptation.

Really though after the Hobbit films especially I think you could argue the Silmarillion or other Tolkien works wouldn't really be needed. A film based around a reworked version of the War in the North with Angmar has actually been setup reasonably well. it would need to be a largely original work of course but at this stage so would almost any new Tolkien even if based on parts of the Sil.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 24 2014, 6:56am)

Farficom
Rivendell

Dec 25 2014, 2:18am

Post #19 of 21 (688 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think at some point in time there will be one of some type, but the odds are they will do something completely different than like we have seen such as an in depth animated version of The Hobbit. I would love to see one as close to the book as possible at some point.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 2:50pm

Post #20 of 21 (674 views)
Shortcut
10 to 20 years sounds about right. [In reply to] Can't Post

It could take a bit longer.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Dec 25 2014, 3:39pm

Post #21 of 21 (724 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

A CGI animated film like Beowulf. I already have the script written, finished before PJ's films were released

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.