Other books to films wished for to fill the ME void:

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 4:26pm

Post #1 of 22 (596 views)
Shortcut
Other books to films wished for to fill the ME void: Can't Post

I would like to see the Mistborn books filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKQcmVJrKlohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TOVHEnfe0

The Wheel of Time is probably unfilmable unless it was chopped to bare essentials and only followed the primary characters. Animation may be possible as a very long series.

Night Angel trilogy?

Others?

Annael
Immortal

Dec 23 2014, 5:52pm

Post #2 of 22 (483 views)
Shortcut
My wish is that SOMEONE finally makes a "Wizard of Earthsea" movie that does justice to the book [In reply to] Can't Post

As both Syfy & Studio Ghibli made versions in which only the names were the . . . wait, Syfy even messed up the names.

I'd love to see a movie or series that followed the actual books, starting by casting brown actors to play Ged & all the other Archipelagans.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2014, 8:15pm

Post #3 of 22 (470 views)
Shortcut
I'm game... [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the fantasy books/graphic novels that I would like to see adapted would be a bit grittier than Tolkien's works. They would include (among others):

- The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock
- The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber
- ElfQuest by Wendy and Richard Pini
- The Elenium (the first Sparhawk trilogy) by David Eddings
- The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
- Bone by Jeff Smith

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 8:22pm

Post #4 of 22 (465 views)
Shortcut
Some of the books we have listed have had movie options but [In reply to] Can't Post

whether or not they ever get made in another thing.

I am still waiting on Devil in the White City which has been "in development" for 5+ years.

Belegdir
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 8:55pm

Post #5 of 22 (462 views)
Shortcut
Firstly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still waiting for a Conan film that embodies Robert E. Howard's Conan. That last one was pure pish.

Memory, Sorrow & Thorn books by Tad Williams

I'd second Elric of Melnibone and Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser.

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 22 (455 views)
Shortcut
Ooh yes! Curse of Chalion! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't mind seeing Bujold's Sharing Knife series as a movie either.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 9:26pm

Post #7 of 22 (452 views)
Shortcut
Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Tales would be good but is [In reply to] Can't Post

covered somewhat by Vikings on tv. Uhtred is a good character.

Note..film or tv serialization works for many of these books.
Game of Thrones has shown it can be done.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 23 2014, 9:27pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 9:38pm

Post #8 of 22 (461 views)
Shortcut
Not fantasy but Sci-Fi [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read alot of Fantasy Series that would be suitable to be adapted into films i.m.o.

But I'd dearly love to see The Forever War and Hyperion Cantos adaptations move into production eventually...

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 9:51pm

Post #9 of 22 (450 views)
Shortcut
I have not read much sci fi lately but I agree, other works besides [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Trek and Star Wars should be televised. I know there have been other attempts with more or less average results.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 1:00am

Post #10 of 22 (430 views)
Shortcut
third vote for Curse of Chalion [In reply to] Can't Post

would make a fabulous movie.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 1:15am

Post #11 of 22 (431 views)
Shortcut
Pyrates [In reply to] Can't Post

by George MacDonald Fraser. It's a hilarious book. I'd love to see it done well as a movie.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 1:24am

Post #12 of 22 (430 views)
Shortcut
A very good rum too! [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 3:20am

Post #13 of 22 (423 views)
Shortcut
I would too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a hilarious book. Fraser, I just learned, wrote the screenplays for Richard Lester's very funny Three Musketeers films in the 1970s, so the adaptation would probably go pretty smoothly. On the other hand, according to IMDB, The Pyrates been done once already as a TV movie for BBC. The lack of user reviews, and the fact that it was never issued on tape or disk, seems to say something about its quality!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2014, 3:29am

Post #14 of 22 (426 views)
Shortcut
I found one article about that movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked dismal even by TV movie standards and he was the one to do adapt the book to screen play so go figure.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 5:21am

Post #15 of 22 (429 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see "The Dark is Rising" done right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also more Terry Pratchett. The ones so far have been really good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Annael
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 3:09pm

Post #16 of 22 (415 views)
Shortcut
I've thought about the Hyperion books as movies [In reply to] Can't Post

He has so many great ideas - I just want to see that culture brought to life on film. Like the house where every room is on a different planet, and the treeships.

My problem with Simmons is that his books have a lot of horror in them (the Shrike for instance) and I have no taste for horror (I skim those bits in his books). If they could dial that down & concentrate on the sci-fi I'd want to see it; if they went the other way, not so much.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 1:58pm

Post #17 of 22 (397 views)
Shortcut
Parenthetically... [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of Elric, I've sometimes fantasized about the creation of a music video of Blue Oyster Cult performing "Black Blade," animated by Ralph Bakshi.

I am hopeful about the big-budget (moderate-budget?) movie supposedly in development based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 6:33pm

Post #18 of 22 (402 views)
Shortcut
The "Gormenghast" trilogy by Mervyn Peake...// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mikah
Lorien

Dec 26 2014, 2:58am

Post #19 of 22 (397 views)
Shortcut
I have been looking for my latest fantasy fiction book to read... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished Patrick Rothfuss' series of books, as well as Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. I have been all over Goodreads and nothing really grabbed. me. I saw your recommendation here as a movie, read the reviews and think this may be just what the doctor ordered!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 6:57pm

Post #20 of 22 (392 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Earthsea

Riverworld

Witch World

Thursday Next

Legend of Paksenarrion

Lovecraft’s Dream Cycle

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories

The Tamir Triad (though probably no studio would touch this story without major changes to the hero/heroine, in which case, what's the point?)

"We were somewhere around Cerin Amroth, in the heart of Elvendom, when the miruvor began to take hold."

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 26 2014, 6:58pm

Post #21 of 22 (383 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And a remake of SyFy's other atrocity, Riverworld.

"We were somewhere around Cerin Amroth, in the heart of Elvendom, when the miruvor began to take hold."

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 4:31am

Post #22 of 22 (393 views)
Shortcut
I haven't read Paksenarrion in ages. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really should dig it out and have another look. I liked Moon's take on Paladins.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.