Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Christmas greetings reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 2:20pm

Post #1 of 7 (422 views)
Shortcut
It's the Christmas greetings reading thread! Can't Post

Since I'm about to join family to celebrate the holiday, I'll cut right to the chase. A very merry Christmas to those who partake of it, and to those who don't, a happy week with friends and family and the festival of your choice.

Let's remember Thorin's last words: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Since I won't be here on the 25th, I'll post my annual wishes for my friends on TORn now. May the Valar bless us all with:

Bilbo's charm
Thorin's majesty
Thranduil's elegance
Frodo's steadfastness
Sam's loyalty
Pippin's resilience
Merry's good nature
Aragorn's patience
Gandalf's intelligence
Legolas's grace
Gimli's sturdiness
Boromir's redemption
Eowyn's courage
Eomer's vitality
Theoden's second chance
Faramir's honor
Galadriel's wisdom
Arwen's compassion

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2014, 6:14pm

Post #2 of 7 (368 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely Christmas blessing. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time - I thought I'd better read the book after seeing the TV version and one film version. It's taking a while to get used to the writing style but she is drawing me into that world. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 6:50pm

Post #3 of 7 (368 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd add 'Elrond's dress sense'... never to be faulted! *fans self*

Jane Austen's writing style is well worth persevering with, her books are to treasure.

For seasonal reading I like to pick books that are set in winter if possible, though not necessarily at Christmas. Some I've read in the past are:
Terry Pratchett's 'Hogfather' is as crazy, and as dark in places, as you would expect!
Ellis Peters 'The Raven in the Foregate', 'The Virgin in the Ice' and 'The Confession of Brother Haluin' set in the 12th century, based in Shrewsbury
Lindsay Davies 'Saturnalia' set in Rome in the AD70s

Just revisiting 'Saturnalia' actually.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 5:56am

Post #4 of 7 (364 views)
Shortcut
Rereading The Hobbit (with a question/observation on The Red Book) [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted this in the Reading Room, but as long as there's a reading thread going on - I thought I might pose it to you guys.

I've begun a rereading of The Hobbit (first time since 2012), and I've just noticed something that I feel silly for not realizing all the time.

The Hobbit is not, in fact, meant to be Bilbo's book There and Back Again - as found in the Red Book. It is merely Tolkien's book derived from Bilbo's work. Likewise, The Lord of the Rings is also just derived from Frodo's (as well as Sam's) entries in The Red Book - as opposed to being the actual text from said book.

How did I only just realize this? I thought this was the conceit of the books - that the Hobbits were the authors. But, on the contrary, Tolkien himself is narrating and getting his info from texts we are not ourselves privy to.

It really adds to the notion of the books being Middle-earth interpreted by Tolkien, while the films are Middle-earth interpreted by Jackson. I just can't believe I've been mistaken about the "narrator" all this time. Has this mistake happened to any of you, or am I just the most absent-minded reader on the boards? Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 25 2014, 5:58am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 6:09pm

Post #5 of 7 (349 views)
Shortcut
NOT! bomby is RANKED Right UP there AZZZ the Most? [In reply to] Can't Post

..DUH? wha...did, did, "YOu DO there?...GUY..."

WAzz that A, A, a, Question? that needz answer..

Can't remember...
posted Yesterday..

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2014, 7:40pm

Post #6 of 7 (347 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Sorry Bomby... [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't mean to step on your turf. Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 7:26am

Post #7 of 7 (339 views)
Shortcut
Whether seasonal or not, I also love the Brother Cadfael series // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.