The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Idea for an EE Epilogue

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 11:05am

Post #1 of 6 (826 views)
Shortcut
Idea for an EE Epilogue Can't Post

Apologies if someone has come up with this idea before, but I don't recall seeing it.

I remembered this letter:

http://www.theonering.net/...-of-the-five-armies/

And, thinking that the current older Bilbo bookend scene is rather short, thought it would be very nice in the EE if, quite downhearted, he reached over to the letters Frodo had earlier brought in and saw one perhaps with a Dwarven rune marking. He opens it and in a voiceover from Gloin we hear the contents of the letter. Bilbo smiles as he reaches the end, puts it down, and then we hear on the knock on the door and it plays out as usual.

But then I thought it even better if they expanded the letter to include more about Erebor and Dale, as well as Balin, Ori and Oin's expedition to Moria and gave us images relating to the words. So as it's being read (with Gloin voiceover) we see the remainder of the company aged and enjoying a feast in Erebor, Bombur struggling to be lifted, Beorn and the Beornings guarding the passes, Balin and company arriving at Moria, and Erebor and Dale rebuilt and prospering under Dain and Bain respectively (maybe even Brand depending on how the film wishes to adhere to the timeline). This would only need last a minute or so and yet provide a very clever way of giving the Dwarves and Beorn some closure while setting up some key aspects of the War of the Ring with Balin going to Moria and the strong ties between Erebor and Dale. Perhaps earlier in the EE Balin could speak of the idea of going to Moria to set this up (I think his visit to Bag-End is unfortunately unfeasible as the film is) and we could see Dain and Bard agreeing a pact to work in unison to restore the glory of their respective kingdoms.

I really hope we see something like this in the EE, but I suspect it unlikely sadly.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Dec 23 2014, 11:12am)

Curunir The White
The Shire

Dec 23 2014, 12:49pm

Post #2 of 6 (375 views)
Shortcut
I like that [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say maybe not rebuilt entirely, but in construction, with Bard leading still, and perhaps Dain in the mountain. However, what I would really want once the story of the Dwarves is wrapped up is for a scene with no music playing, the camera scaling up a tall black tower (after going through a lot of trees) and eventually coming to a window. The camera then goes through the window and into a room with a single stand in the center, and on top of the stand lies something covered with a cloth and for about 3-5 seconds complete and utter silence while it sits there, then the cloth gets lifted off (hand that takes it off obviously has long nails and seemingly old) and reveals the palantir.

I don't know if that's what everyone would want, but I would like Saruman wrapped up a little more than just "leave Sauron to me" - I mean this is essentially helping set up the main villain for the next few lotr movies.

Those who listened unwarily to that voice could seldom report the words that they heard; and if they did, they wondered, for little power remained in them. Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves. When others spoke they seemed harsh and uncouth by contrast; and if they gainsaid the voice, anger was kindled in the hearts of those under the spell. For some the spell lasted only while the voice spoke to them, and when it spoke to another they smiled, as men do who see through a juggler's trick while others gape at it. For many the sound of the voice alone was enough to hold them enthralled; but for those whom it conquered the spell endured when they were far away, and ever they heard that soft voice whispering and urging them. But none were unmoved; none rejected its pleas and its commands without an effort of mind and will, so long as its master had control of it.

Faramir74
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 6 (322 views)
Shortcut
You speak for me also Curunir [In reply to] Can't Post

I too wish to see the inevitable corruption of Saruman and a glimpse of the Palantir. I was expecting to see it in the TE version of BOTFA, the trailer suggested that Saruman would converse directly with Sauron, whilst in Dol Goldur, and he would discover the Palantir after banishing Sauron to the East.

The film scene ends too abruptly and we don't know what Saruman means by "leave Sauron to me".

wmsd
The Shire

Dec 23 2014, 1:53pm

Post #4 of 6 (372 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's grave [In reply to] Can't Post

For a second there I imagined that you were describing a quiet scene of Thorin's grave...his body laid on a bed of stone with the Arkenstone and Orcrist upon his chest.

A scene like that in silence would be nice.

But I like your palantir scene too.
I want both.

Faramir74
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 2:29pm

Post #5 of 6 (298 views)
Shortcut
Definitely both scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps after the funeral we could see the Dwarves discussing their future plans, eg Balin going to Moria etc.

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 8:27pm

Post #6 of 6 (214 views)
Shortcut
What I was half expecting to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

To take a similar route to this was I alone in half expecting the map on Bilbo's desk at the very end of the film to lead into a real zoom into the location?

I could see that fitting into the film quite nicely, Imagine for example the camera starts way above, zooms down though Dale showing it rebuild and prosperous then carries on into Erebor(maybe showing us quick shots of the surviving dwarves alone the way) before finally coming to rest over Thorins tomb. Rather than going into indepth less than dramatic updates read aloud show us the rebuilt locations almost as Thorin's legacy, either wordlessly or maybe with a simple more generalised/dramatic narration.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 23 2014, 8:32pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.