Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I miss Thorin and I feel very sad. What's going on?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

greenbalrog
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 12:27pm

Post #1 of 33 (1287 views)
Shortcut
I miss Thorin and I feel very sad. What's going on? Can't Post

So, I watched BOFA in IMAX HFR 3D three days ago and I liked it very much. All the Hobbit movies have grown on me, especially DOS (the EEs really helped a lot).

I'll get straight to the point. Why do I feel that I miss Thorin like I never did from a character in a movie? This is just a movie. I also feel very sad (this third chapter really is a very sad and tragic one, in the good way) for the deaths of Fili and Kili. What's going on? Was it the IMAX HFR 3D experience? I never felt so sad after watching a movie before.

Does anyone feel the same way?

(This post was edited by greenbalrog on Dec 23 2014, 12:28pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 33 (696 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's because we've been so deeply invested in this story for such a long time.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 1:07pm

Post #3 of 33 (656 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I feel that way because the character of Thorin is so brilliantly acted, and I feel invested in him. Did you notice the way Richard Armitage can use his eyes to convey emotion?

Very, very sad film, and I hope the EE will bring us a bit of lightness (though no grossness, since I don't feel it belongs in the film, and no more slaughter).

Unimpressed

Guert
Rivendell

Dec 23 2014, 1:16pm

Post #4 of 33 (643 views)
Shortcut
Funeral [In reply to] Can't Post

has a potential of being even more emotional, depending on the way it is portrayed.

Can't wait to see.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2014, 1:23pm

Post #5 of 33 (658 views)
Shortcut
Thorin is one of the most memorable tragic heroes I've ever seen on film [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the actors in The Hobbit are incredibly good, but Thorin is the charismatic leader whose actions drive the plot, and I thought Richard Armitage was absolutely brilliant in portraying the magnetism, leadership, nobility and flaws of this character. Also, having three movies to work with instead of just one really allows the audience to get emotionally attached to the characters.

In terms of missing Thorin, though, and I don't mean this in a flippant way, we now have all three movies to be watched whenever we want. We can put AUJ in the DVD player anytime and be right back at the beginning and enjoy the quest all over again, which is what I will be doing. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

greenbalrog
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 2:26pm

Post #6 of 33 (611 views)
Shortcut
I agree, and Martin also [In reply to] Can't Post

I also felt totally invested in Thorin's character. His body language, the eyes, yes. Amazing performance. And another incredible moment is when Bilbo can't speak for what he too feels by Thorin's death. In that moment I was feeling exactly like Bilbo and I knew exactly what he meant to say but could't: "he was my friend".

I also hope the BOFA EE will bring a bit more comfort to the viewer because the battle and its outcome was simply brutal. We need to come out of the Hobbit feeling a bit more light. As others have said, we need more closure.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 2:42pm

Post #7 of 33 (575 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt very sad. Much more sad than I ever have reading the story and that is many, many times. I think it's as others have said, movie Thorin was such a likeable character and we felt an affinity for him. Armitage was just great. Loved him in the role and he made a depth of character and such pathos. I was sorry to see him go even though we knew it was going to happen and it needed to storywise. Still, I felt an emptiness I did not feel with the other movies.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 4:07pm

Post #8 of 33 (534 views)
Shortcut
I haven't... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Been as invested in Thorin's story as much as with maybe Bilbo's, but it really did changed in BotfA. He was such an intense tragic character you really would find creepy, but you knew Thorin was in there somewhere. And then WOOOH he's back! He's won his home back. Then it slowly goes to h*** and it just hit you really hard.

When I saw it again the other day the girl next to me was really into the movie and I kinda felt like she represented how I felt (just less vocal) because Thorin was standing and watching the battlefield and for those who hasn't read the book you kind of think you can relax. Then he collapses and the girl just went "What..." Shocked

Not so often that they kill the main character right? Not to mention I think the way they take down one, then the other than even a third dwarf just really hit home with people.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 5:14pm

Post #9 of 33 (500 views)
Shortcut
Agree with your post [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for the part about reading the Hobbit many, many times, which I confess I have not.Unsure

Tho the book Thorin was my favorite as well, who knew of the extraordinary interpretation a wonderful actor would bring to us. (Well, perhaps many in the UK might have known...)

And since this complex, tortured, magnificent Thorin for me ended up being my favorite of PJ's Middle Earth, this film would always be difficult for me. IMO one of the saddest sights is seeing the Company lined up to tell Bilbo goodbye without Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

For ME Thorin and Bilbo ended up being the "twin suns" of these movies, as Martin Freeman describes in a WETA book "yo-yoing to and from each other". At at the end of BOFA, there is only one. Frown

Knowing canon and gentle explanations from other TORn members (much appreciated!) re Norse beliefs, and what Tolkien drew on, helps, but I can't say I walk out a theater feeling good.Frown
Tho I think the last minutes with Bilbo are beautifully done.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 5:54pm

Post #10 of 33 (464 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Does anyone feel the same way?

After the third time watching it I realized that as much as I really love the film, I can't watch it again for a while.

For me it's especially there's that moment of hope when Thorin overcomes the dragon sickness and it seems like everything is going to work out, and I'm so happy for them. And then they head off to confront Azog and you remember, no, it's not going to work out, not at all.

I can't get myself un-sad about it either, not yet Unsure.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 5:54pm

Post #11 of 33 (487 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never cared about a character as much as Thorin, and I believe it has everything to do with Richard Armitage's amazing performance. He brought such depth to Thorin's story arc in ways I never imagined prior to seeing AUJ. After DOS, I started to dread seeing BOFA as I knew he would do such a fantastic job with the material. Kudos also to Peter, Fran and Philippa for crafting the character and storyline as they did. Thorin's death in the book was almost an afterthought, but in the movie, it overshadows all else for me. I do think BOFA is a very good movie, but am also having a hard time thinking about seeing it again. I think the IMAX HFR 3D makes it even more vivid since you feel like you're right there with the characters, which makes the tragedy even more vivid too.

#OneLastTime

Miss-Merriweather
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 6:02pm

Post #12 of 33 (473 views)
Shortcut
Killing one hero at the end of such a looong story - ? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some who would not deem it wise.
Killing not only one but THREE in a row - ?!
Now that was really heartless..........
Unsure

greenbalrog
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 6:22pm

Post #13 of 33 (476 views)
Shortcut
It's so real it's frightening [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the IMAX HFR 3D makes it even more vivid since you feel like you're right there with the characters, which makes the tragedy even more vivid too.

I'm convinced of that too. And, I'm eager to see it in 2D non-HFR now to compare the experience with the IMAX HFR 3D one.

Peter (and co), I think you made it, technically, I mean. Along with a wonderful story, you managed to create a new cinematic experience, one that feels so real that it's almost frighting. And I thought the movies couldn't surprise me anymore.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 23 2014, 6:27pm

Post #14 of 33 (438 views)
Shortcut
agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the HFR, even when not IMAX. Such a clear picture, very realistic. As a nice bonus, its the only type of 3D that doesn't give me a headache!

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 6:52pm

Post #15 of 33 (457 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this one of the saddest moments. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO one of the saddest sights is seeing the Company lined up to tell Bilbo goodbye without Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 7:17pm

Post #16 of 33 (420 views)
Shortcut
Amen to THAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think I feel that way because the character of Thorin is so brilliantly acted, and I feel invested in him. Did you notice the way Richard Armitage can use his eyes to convey emotion?

Very, very sad film, and I hope the EE will bring us a bit of lightness (though no grossness, since I don't feel it belongs in the film, and no more slaughter).

Unimpressed

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 7:24pm

Post #17 of 33 (421 views)
Shortcut
Blame it on the book [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are some who would not deem it wise.
Killing not only one but THREE in a row - ?!
Now that was really heartless..........
Unsure

Yes of course I miss ThorinUnsureHeart, but killing off the young nephews always seemed so pointless to me - I really hated the book for that. I have mixed feelings about how this went down in the movie, particularly Fili's death, but I think I would have been unhappy no matter how they died. The thing is, there were deaths in the LoTR movies, but NONE of the lead characters died (well, except for Boromir, but that was still in the first movie, not as much emotional investment, although I did think his was a noble, tragic death). Just think how tragic RoTK would have been if Sam had died saving Frodo, or if Frodo had fallen with Gollum - oh, the FEELS! And we got hit with three of them in BOT5A. I was even apprehensive about seeing this, not since "Revenge of the Sith" have I ever dreaded seeing a movie. Fine acting from all involved: Richard, Aidan, Dean, Graham and Martin. Kudos and congrats on a job well done.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 7:29pm

Post #18 of 33 (410 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in both formats [In reply to] Can't Post

and I cried harder the second time, in regular 2d format - even though I knew what was coming! I have to say that was the best death scene I think I've ever seen; his laughing and telling Bilbo to go back to his books and plant his tree, and Bilbo's reaction when he faded away, oh, I'm going to start crying again!HeartUnsure

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 7:31pm

Post #19 of 33 (417 views)
Shortcut
When the 4 set out for Ravenhill to destroy Azog... [In reply to] Can't Post

...my heart sunk because I knew what was approaching..

greenbalrog
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 7:53pm

Post #20 of 33 (385 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have to say that was the best death scene I think I've ever seen; his laughing and telling Bilbo to go back to his books and plant his tree, and Bilbo's reaction when he faded away

Completely agree. How perfect is that scene? I still have it very vivid in my mind. That smile from Thorin, what he says. PJ really knows how to do death scenes. I love Boromir's and Theoden's death scenes very much as well. I cry or get very emotional every time.

Oh, and I'm not afraid to say that my eyes watered several times during BOFA, one of which with a tear dropping through my face. Unsure

You preferred the 2nd time in 2D? Can't wait to see it again.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 8:39pm

Post #21 of 33 (372 views)
Shortcut
me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Soon i am going to watch the movie for the 10th time
and i am glad to see him in fhe first part again

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 9:26pm

Post #22 of 33 (387 views)
Shortcut
Straight to the point [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to have invested so much in those characters. I was incredibly saddened and I cried at the cinema (I never do it and I am teased by my female friendsTongue).
Thorin's death scene was heartbreaking, Fili's was real pain, as it were my own life. Strangely I did not cry for Kili, but I am waiting for a second viewing.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 11:14pm

Post #23 of 33 (335 views)
Shortcut
*gasps* [In reply to] Can't Post

You did too? Was has this film done to us?! ShockedTongue

Dwarewien
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 11:26pm

Post #24 of 33 (328 views)
Shortcut
It's just part of being a fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

regardless of the fact that Thorin is a fictional character, he's still played by a real person. My mom often tries to comfort me in saying that it's just a story and that the actor isn't really dead (thank goodness, since I'm not sure if I'd be able to recover from that), but it doesn't really help. Fictional or not, Thorin's still my favorite, so anything bad happening to him is still going to bother me (but not enough to keep me out of theaters, since Thorin looks much better on a large movie screen, and in 3D. Too bad 3D doesn't allow you to reach out and grab him to save him from his fate. The only problem with that scenario is that you would have all those other throngs of female admirers to deal with, so it would have to be at some kind of private screening if you want to have him all to yourself, so to speak).Wink

Though I've mourned over other character's deaths before, they were nothing like this, so you're definitely not alone. Even thinking about what would happen to Thorin in BoFA made me tear up, and this may sound a little weird, but I cry when I wait too long (seriously). I know I've never experienced this before, not even with Capt. Jack at the end of Dead Man's Chest (the second PotC movie), but probably because I knew that he wasn't really dead, and although I know a similar thing about Thorin at the end of AUJ, it still makes me cry, every single time, so I'm sure it will be the same with BoFA. Bloody Azog! What does he have against the line of Durin anyway (well, other than the fact that Thorin took his arm off during the Battle of Azanulbizar, but that's beside the point)? Unsure

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Dec 23 2014, 11:28pm)

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 11:54pm

Post #25 of 33 (331 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I'm not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

...to feel this way. I don't think that fictional deaths have ever affected me this much before. I knew roughly what was going to happen before I saw the movie since I read a few spoilers, but that didn't help all that much. In fact, I got very upset before I ever saw the movie just reading about Fili's death. I still don't like thinking about that one.

And then Thorin's death... well that just finished me off.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.