Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I could have done without older Bilbo/Frodo, anyone agree?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 10:02am

Post #1 of 17 (798 views)
Shortcut
I could have done without older Bilbo/Frodo, anyone agree? Can't Post

I think right after older bilbo stops recounting the history/characters they should of jumped to the beginning of the hobbit. Older bilbo and frodo did not work. Especially if you start watching the films in order, there's no mention of who frodo is and why he's living with bilbo, nor is he tied into the story of the hobbit.

The flames of war are upon you..

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 10:15am

Post #2 of 17 (441 views)
Shortcut
It should have been left for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Just my two cents.

jtarkey
Rohan

Post #3 of 17 (430 views)
Shortcut
yeah, its clunky [In reply to] Can't Post

Another user mentioned The Hobbit works great as a companion trilogy to LOTR, but not a 6 film saga. I agree with that. This is one of a few things that don't make these films watchable from AUJ to ROTK.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Post #4 of 17 (429 views)
Shortcut
Well he describes Bilbo as "uncle" [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think the nature of the relationship between the two comes across relatively clearly.

But that's by the by. I rather like the inclusion of this scene as a way of approaching the narrator character from the text. He/she is a very distinct feature in the book and the idea that the tale is being narrated offers different possibilities to the audience than if it were not. The older storyteller and the younger listener is set up quite well by this, I think.

And, of course, it does a job in helping to connect and make relative sense of the events of the two stories.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Post #5 of 17 (411 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It was dumb then, and it's dumb now.

Theres too much fan service in these films.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 11:08am

Post #6 of 17 (387 views)
Shortcut
Should have been the last scene of BoFA // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 11:27am

Post #7 of 17 (371 views)
Shortcut
No, I like it just fine as it is. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 2:44pm

Post #8 of 17 (296 views)
Shortcut
I'm okay with it [In reply to] Can't Post

It is heavy handed and does firmly link the films to LOTR but that's Jackson's vision and what he wanted so it works for that. It did not bother me at all although I will say I am more partial now to Freeman's Bilbo.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 4:31pm

Post #9 of 17 (254 views)
Shortcut
Agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

It usually puts a smile on my face to see Frodo again Smile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 4:38pm

Post #10 of 17 (264 views)
Shortcut
I actually love it. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the time of AUJ's release, it seemed like it could have been left out - and I supposed it still could have - but I love it all the same. The scenes hit all the right nostalgic buttons for me, and greatly evoke "The Fellowship of the Ring". Smile It ties the story of The Hobbit nicely into the earlier trilogy.

I'm the poster jtarkey referred to, calling the two trilogies "companion pieces" rather than a six film series. Thus, stuff like this works perfectly well for me.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Name
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 4:49pm

Post #11 of 17 (244 views)
Shortcut
I agree. Should have been left to the EE. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Bilbo does describe in FotR how Frodo's parents died and he took him in. So it kinda cleans itself up. But definitely should have been EE material.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

priell3
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 5:02pm

Post #12 of 17 (237 views)
Shortcut
A Challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once the BOFA EE are released, I challenge someone to create the ultimate fan adaptation by making a movie (or movies) from:

Born of Hope
An Unexpected Journey
Desolation Of Smaug
Battle of the Five Armies
The Hunt for Gollum
Fellowship Of The Ring
The Two Towers
Return of the King

MikeP

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 5:04pm

Post #13 of 17 (237 views)
Shortcut
Was it absolutely needed? No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the prologue with Ian and Elijah absolutely needed in order to tell the Hobbit narrative? No, it wasn't.

However, it does work very well as a sort of narrative 'cold open', especially for first-time viewing. It might confuse some of the general audience who aren't familiar with the story, but it still works overall, and I think the writers were justified in including it.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 5:11pm

Post #14 of 17 (233 views)
Shortcut
No, for me, I rather liked the linking. [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 5:46pm

Post #15 of 17 (228 views)
Shortcut
I often skip that part [In reply to] Can't Post

tho I don't find it offensive. On my first viewing of AUJ there was a little zing of a thrill at seeing Frodo.

Now, tho, after "he never forgot....." I want to get straight to Bilbo and Gandalf.Heart

I think it's a nice little cameo (LOL that I often don't watch), but I was very relieved that BOFA's last few seconds was not used as an excuse to shoehorn in Frodo.Unimpressed

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 7:54pm

Post #16 of 17 (190 views)
Shortcut
I've been saying this since AUJ's release [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is my absolute least favorite scene in all six films, and I wish it had been completely left on the cutting room floor. It adds nothing to the film and only succeeds in dragging out the beginning far more than it needs to be for no other reason than fan-service. Bilbo's line "And that, my dear Frodo, is where I come in" is the perfect transition into the Good Morning scene.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 8:45pm

Post #17 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
I could have done without (the one playing) Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

the more i see the movies, the more i feel that actor was a mistake

He makes my final judgement that the three hobbit movies are better than the LotR movies (for me).

Young Bilbo and Thorin, Gandalf and Thranduil make the 3 Hobbit movies soo much better. You also realise now that Lady Galadriel and Elrond should have been in the LotR movies much more (minutes).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.