Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Two different films?

LeglessLegolas

Dec 22 2014, 11:51pm

Post #1 of 6 (990 views)
Shortcut
Two different films? Can't Post

Doesn't it seem like some of the reactions have been so vastly different a in way that makes it feel like some people watched two totally different films?

I've seen some people say that the battle sequences were poorly shot and it was easily the worst of the three and others say it was a masterpiece. I personally loved the third film and can't wait for the EE! :) Cheers

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 12:12am

Post #2 of 6 (496 views)
Shortcut
Yes, agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

But then I found the same with AUJ. I loved the film (as did my sisters), and really couldn't understand why some people reacted to it in the way they did. It probably depends on the culture you are from and your life experiences, etc.

The Hobbit films do provoke strong reactions – stronger than the average blockbuster flick like a comic-book film, which is produced to appeal to everyone, but in fact has no depth and is merely an instantly forgettable, fairly enjoyable experience produced by the numbers and featuring celebrities.

The Hobbit films are not like that – they make definite statements and have a very strong character (rather than being 'neutral' experiences as are the above types of film).

It's quite late so I don't know if I'm making myself clear…Unimpressed

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 12:56am

Post #3 of 6 (402 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have commented on this before but I have never seen the level of polarization these movies have caused. One person can come out of it blown away and another can come out saying it was absolute rubbish… how is that even possible? lol

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 23 2014, 1:47am

Post #4 of 6 (367 views)
Shortcut
I think it's one of those [In reply to] Can't Post

things where you to go view this film multiple times to take in the immense amount of information that it portrays. I've always gone with my same buddy to every Middle Earth movie on opening night since day one. By the third viewing (the one by myself), I really start concentrating on all the details of the film and start forming an opinion on the film.

I wish I would have done this approach with FOTR. I didn't particularly fall in love with it viewing it just once in the theater. Once the DVD came out and after many additional viewings, I became a huge fan of the movie and made the point to see all other future Middle Earth movies at least three times or more.

MEIGWIT
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 1:32pm

Post #5 of 6 (181 views)
Shortcut
I think many don't really know how to comprehend it [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who went in and just watched BoFA as an individual film with some time since they had seen previous films, my belief is they were predisposed to not like them, because, the sheer wealth of information you must know and remember going in is immense.

However, if you, like myself make it a ritual to watch all the movies on a regular basis, know them inside and out, you are predisposed to capture and appreciate all the nuances that BoFA and each film has. These films are very deep, very immense, and quite beautiful. I in fact saw it as a marathon at my local theatre in IMAX 3D. I was completely blown away at what I saw.

I can understand many peoples frustrations with the films, but I've come to look at them completely different after the marathon. My opinion is this: as individual films standing on their own, they show their weaknesses, I still enjoy them thoroughly, but they show their weaknesses as individual films. However, as one long 8 1/2 hour film, it is as near perfection in story telling, character arc, and depth as any adaptation from a book as I have ever seen. The weight of these films and these characters when seen as one long story on film is ridiculous and beautiful and touching. It pierces the heart!

It is no secret in my mind now that Peter really did make these films for those who love the story and are fans. A regular movie goer will probably not have the patience, stamina, or care to sit through an 8 1/2 hour film, nor will it be possible to please them as they don't really necessarily care about the movies, but are just out to see a movie. However, the loyal fans will sit through hours of a movie and want to because they love the story, characters, and themes. Therefore, he made this one for them. As stand alone films, they can be confusing, but as one long film, it is very near perfection. I can only imagine when we finally have all extended editions and sitting watching from beginning to end, the definitive version of the film, I will be sitting and saying, Peter Jackson, YOU HAVE MADE ONE HELLUVAN EPIC MASTERPIECE!!! It is for the fans period. If you love Peter Jackson and love Tolkien, Peter is saying, "This one is for you!"

Of course many people love Tolkien and not Jackson, many love Jackson and not Tolkien, and many couldn't give a crap about either and just want to see a good movie. Well, regardless of where you fall, it's hard not to be impressed by what Peter Jackson has accomplished, unless of course you are hard to impress Tongue

It is the little things in life that keep the darkness at bay.

(This post was edited by MEIGWIT on Dec 23 2014, 1:35pm)

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 8:18pm

Post #6 of 6 (134 views)
Shortcut
When it comes to the net alot of predesposition exists.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the reactions we get to see of course come from the internet from forum postings and reviews and in those cases especially I think a predisposition exists in a lot of cases, you could argue perhaps some degree of fans wanting to be pleased but I think more strongly of people wanting these films to fall inline with failings they had imaged would exist prior to release.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.