Your favourite 'Hobbit Rumour' from the last few years
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 5:52pm

Post #1 of 27 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Your favourite 'Hobbit Rumour' from the last few years Can't Post

Now that the last film is out and the dust finally begins to settle on the trilogy, I was wondering what was your favourite outlandish, or otherwise, rumour you heard/read/saw over the last few years during production.

Ok, my favourite was the one about a backstory for Smaug, featuring a flashback to Gondolin where he was apparently the steed of Gothmog. Can't work out if I'm glad or not that it didn't appear in the filmsTongue

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 5:54pm

Post #2 of 27 (806 views)
Shortcut
zombie Smaug brought back from the dead by the necromancer fighting in the battle [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2014, 5:57pm

Post #3 of 27 (807 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel/Gandalf romance [In reply to] Can't Post

and the reason that Celeborn 'much desired to speak with him'.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DjU
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 5:58pm

Post #4 of 27 (800 views)
Shortcut
Whilst... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now that the last film is out and the dust finally begins to settle on the trilogy, I was wondering what was your favourite outlandish, or otherwise, rumour you heard/read/saw over the last few years during production.

Ok, my favourite was the one about a backstory for Smaug, featuring a flashback to Gondolin where he was apparently the steed of Gothmog. Can't work out if I'm glad or not that it didn't appear in the filmsTongue

Whilst they are not necessarily any of my favourites some of most commonly heard bad and generally baseless rumours where;

5) Bilbo would be completely sidelined in the third movie
4) Radagast/Tauriel would Die
3) Last year a huge number of People being convinced that the Lake-Town attack would end DoS despite every bit of evidence saying the contrary
2) Teh flip side of that story and the Necro-Smaug at the BOFA
1) Gandalf and Galadriel love story!

(This post was edited by DjU on Dec 22 2014, 5:59pm)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 6:04pm

Post #5 of 27 (782 views)
Shortcut
A couple [In reply to] Can't Post

The rumour I was very sad it wasn't true
Legolas only having a cameo role.
--> No this should not end in bashing Legolas. To be honest... first of all I was happy to see him again since I think it made sense for him to appear in his fathers palace. Perhaps even being one of the Elves who capture the Dwarves and being part of his fathers army during the Battle of the Five Armies... all makes sense. I also like his side quest in scouting Gundabad and his backstory about his mother. But I didn't like the love triangle stuff, I didn't liked all of the OTT moments in DOS and BOTFA. Especially I didn't like his intervention in Lake-town.... oh yeah and this anti-gravity thing in BOTFA. A cameo would've been great and would have made sense... but sadly he became a mayor role even taking Beorns part in the battle. Less would have been more.

The rumour I would have been ok with if it turned out to be true
An Annatar/Sauron flashback at the beginning of BOTFA or Sauron appearing as Annatar in Dol Guldur to seduce Galadriel. It's not important to the story at all... perhaps even belongs to LOTR but I really like the backstory of the Rings and Sauron and it would have been nice to see him in his fair form.

The rumour I was glad it wasn't true
Azog or Smaug being resurrected by the Necromancer.
--> Yeah... I never wanted to see Zombie-Orcs or -Dragons in Middle-earth.... Terrible idea! Especially a Zombie-Smaug would have been horrible. I'm so glad it was just a rumour!!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Dec 22 2014, 6:05pm)

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 27 (793 views)
Shortcut
Necromancer subplot [In reply to] Can't Post

While not exactly rumours, I think the fans at TORN had lots more and better ideas and imagination concerning the Necromancer subplot to what we eventually got. Just search a few of the early threads and see for yourself!

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 6:07pm

Post #7 of 27 (741 views)
Shortcut
And when he dies he explodes into a fireball and becomes the Eye // [In reply to] Can't Post

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 6:08pm

Post #8 of 27 (766 views)
Shortcut
But Gandalf's dialogue in BotFA still vaguely suggests this // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Dec 22 2014, 6:08pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 6:15pm

Post #9 of 27 (757 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer stuff was an area that PJ could really have expanded and made his own [In reply to] Can't Post

He had a very open area of M-E history in which he could have done whatever he wanted, because the book is quite vague here.

And yet, somehow what we got was really conserved and PJ used his imagination to expand and adjust other areas of the story instead.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 6:33pm

Post #10 of 27 (746 views)
Shortcut
The funny thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dol Guldur stuff that really was in the books weren't in the movie. The only two moments the Necromancer was mentioned in the original book were in Bag-End when Gandalf tells Thorin about the way he recieved Map and Key from Thrain in Dol Guldurs dungeons and later when Bilbo learned of Gandalf actions in Rivendell. In the movie (at least theatrical cuts) Bilbo never learns where Gandalf was and what the wizard was doing.

Everything else was completely made up by Peter Jackson & Co and too rushed. I liked the addition in the DOS EE and I really, really hope that there's more in the BOTFA EE.

There was no real set up. They tried with Radagast but it was only a few seconds and I know a lot of people didn't get it or felt it wasn't misplaced and a lot of people weren't lucky with it (like me). When we got to the White Council meeting the (new and unknown) audience should have gotten at least an idea what this whole Necromancer/Sauron threat is. But in Rivendell they talk about "the Enemy" and Sauron but the ones who never saw LOTR have no idea what the meening of this scene is until we come to Beorn in the EE of DOS. The middle part (DOS EE) was good but the conclusion (BOTFA) was again far to rushed.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 9:18pm

Post #11 of 27 (578 views)
Shortcut
LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 9:20pm

Post #12 of 27 (625 views)
Shortcut
That one or more of the dwarves would be female [In reply to] Can't Post

Really glad that one didn't pan out Crazy.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 9:28pm

Post #13 of 27 (604 views)
Shortcut
That was really bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes the rumor that there would be a female dwarf or that some of the dwarves would be females. haha too funny.

that one and the Gandalf/Galadriel romance. Just...no.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 9:39pm

Post #14 of 27 (570 views)
Shortcut
Everything else was completely made up... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think you will find most of it was from the Appendices in LOTR.

glor
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 11:32pm

Post #15 of 27 (539 views)
Shortcut
A casting one [In reply to] Can't Post

That Ian McShane was to be Thorin Oakenshield and that no other actor could bring justice to the part....

......LaughSlyLaughCrazyCool

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on Dec 22 2014, 11:32pm)

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 11:37pm

Post #16 of 27 (567 views)
Shortcut
Rumor about Thorin's death. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it wasn't long ago that I heard the rumor about how Thorin allegedly killed himself in the movie by throwing himself over the frozen waterfall, overcome with the deaths of Fili and Kili. It probably did not help the rumor-mongering that Richard Armitage tweeted a picture of Thorin and the waterfall along with the comment "So you think you know how Thorin's story ends..." Tongue At the time I laughed it off as ridiculous because then the Thorin/Bilbo speech wouldn't be possible. Plus Thorin and Azog have been such huge enemies throughout the trilogy that I was pretty certain they would be each other's demise.

I actually did have a moment where I freaked out in the theatre because Thorin started walking to the edge of the waterfall (I forget if it was when he was following Azog under the ice, or if it was when he was dying). But I actually thought for a second or two that the rumor was true, and I was like, "No, Thorin! If you jump, you won't be able to apologize to Bilbo!" Thank you, internet, for making me even more nervous during the climax. Crazy So glad the rumor wasn't true! Not that the final battle is faithful to canon necessarily, but Thorin jumping off the waterfall on purpose would have been just ridiculous!

I must add here that the scene with Thorin's apology was amazingly acted, so thank goodness Thorin didn't jump over the waterfall! Richard did such a good job breaking my heart with his speech (throughout the movie I thought his classical training in England shone through in a wonderfully Shakespearean performance, especially in his delivery of the deathbed speech) and Martin Freeman with his crying. The best thing about Ravenhill, in my opinion.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 11:54pm

Post #17 of 27 (510 views)
Shortcut
I remember that one [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes and I also remember James McAvoy out there as Bilbo and how he would definitely get the job at one point.

I am so glad we got the actors we did. Nothing aginst McShane and McAvoy. It's just that Armitage and Freeman did so much to cement their roles and I'm glad they were chosen.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Mcoull
Bree

Dec 23 2014, 12:21am

Post #18 of 27 (508 views)
Shortcut
Ian Mcshane [In reply to] Can't Post

While I like Armitage a lot, I can't help wonder what McShane would have done with the part. Having seen Deadwood, he is capable of great things.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 12:23am

Post #19 of 27 (491 views)
Shortcut
Oh absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

I like McShane as I said and he's absolutely great. McAvoy is also very good. I still like the selection we got though. I guess it's hindsight and great performances. ;)

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 1:34am

Post #20 of 27 (462 views)
Shortcut
Well I think [In reply to] Can't Post

McShane's age would have been an issue in filming.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 23 2014, 1:39am

Post #21 of 27 (457 views)
Shortcut
Sauron/Annatar and Rings flashback // [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 1:44am

Post #22 of 27 (498 views)
Shortcut
the ones I thought were absurd/humourous [In reply to] Can't Post

Zombie anyone (Smaug, Bolg, Azog, etc)

Galadriel/Gandalf affair

Female dwarf in company (I once read a fic where Gimli was a female and gave birth- aargh my eyes! My poor, scarred gouged out eyes! Pirate). The thought of ANY of these guys being a female, just.....NO.

And as much as I almost wish it were so- that any of the three would live Unsure Because, while I hate that they die, them living in an adaptation of the book itself would be an enormous injustice to the story.

That Tauriel was pregnant with Kili's baby on the lake shore Crazy (holding what we know now is the runestone, but the pic released beforehand only showed her seemingly holding her stomach).

But yeah- I think the zombie Smaug at the BO5A was probably the most absurd rumor that went around...that and Thorin and Bilbo getting married and going off into the sunset hand in hand (if anyone doubts THIS rumor, just go to fanfiction.com and check out how many "Bagginshield" fics are out there Crazy Or better yet, don't).

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Dec 23 2014, 1:46am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 1:51am

Post #23 of 27 (454 views)
Shortcut
Just no... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those fics are gawd awful. I can't take them. ANY of them. Bagginshield ones have the be the worst.

I would have to rip my eyes out I can't take it.

But yeah I also had forgotten the whole "Peter Jackson doesn't kill the heirs of Durin" one. I would have been hugely mad if he hadn't killed them.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 12:46pm

Post #24 of 27 (389 views)
Shortcut
ROTFL.. re. Celeborn's quote!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 12:51pm

Post #25 of 27 (393 views)
Shortcut
That Thorin would survive [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this will sound mean, but I actually quite enjoyed watching people freak out about it. EvilLaugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.