Dec 22 2014, 4:33pm

Post #1 of 9 (961 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 22 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 22, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo accompany Beorn.
(determined from text)
..."[Bilbo] had many hardships and adventures before he got back. The Wild was still the Wild, and there were many other things in it in those days besides goblins; but he was well guided and well guarded—the wizard was with him, and Beorn for much of the way—and he was never in great danger again."

December 22, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Hobbits relax before departing.
(not from the appendices)
..."In those last days the hobbits sat together in the evening in the Hall of Fire, and there among many tales they heard told in full the lay of Beren and Lúthien and the winning of the Great Jewel; but in the day, while Merry and Pippin were out and about, Frodo and Sam were to be found with Bilbo in his own small room. Then Bilbo would read passages from his book... ...or scraps of his verses, or would take notes of Frodo's adventures."

December 22, 2000
1. Principal photography ends.
......Principal photography for Peter Jackson's 3-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's saga The Lord of the Rings is completed. After nearly 3 months of cast preparation in swordplay, boating, dancing and dialect coaching, concurrent filming for the 3-part story began on October 11, 1999 and was finished on December 22, 2000. However, it was not the end of photography as there were "pick up" shots before each subsequent film's release. For an average of 6 weeks each year, "pick ups" were shot from 2001 through 2004...after Return of the King's 11-Oscar Award sweep on February 29, 2004 for a total of 17 Oscar Awards

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 23 2014, 1:54pm

Post #2 of 9 (863 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

This is quite a long post as Bilbo and Frodo have one more quiet visit. So I'm offering it in 2 parts. Here's the first as...

So it's actually TOMORROW IN MIDDLE-EARTH

December 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418) pt.1
1. The time has almost come to depart.
..."On the morning of the last day Frodo was alone with Bilbo, and the old hobbit pulled out from under his bed a wooden box. He lifted the lid and fumbled inside.
...'Here is your sword.... ...But it was broken, you know. I took it to keep it safe, but I've forgotten to ask if the smiths could mend it. No time now. So I thought, perhaps, you would care to have this, don't you know?'
...He took from the box a small sword in an old shabby leather scabbard. Then he drew it, and its polished and well-tended blade glittered suddenly, cold and bright. 'This is Sting,' he said, and thrust it with little effort deep into a wooden beam. 'Take it... ...I shan't want it again, I expect.'
...Frodo accepted it gratefully.
...'Also there is this!' said Bilbo, bringing out a parcel which seemed to be rather heavy for its size. He unwound several folds of old cloth, and held up a small shirt of mail. It was close-woven of many rings, as supple almost as linen, cold as ice, and harder than steel. It shone like moonlit silver, and was studded with white gems. With it was a belt of pearl and crystal.
...'It's a pretty thing, isn't it?' said Bilbo, moving it in the light. 'And useful. It is my dwarf-mail that Thorin gave me. I got it back from Michel Delving... ...and packed it with my luggage. I brought all the mementoes of my Journey away with me, except the Ring. But I did not expect to use this, and I don't need it now, except to look at sometimes. You hardly feel any weight when you put it on.'
...'I should look—well, I don't think I should look right in it,' said Frodo.
...'Just what I said myself... ...But never mind about looks. You can wear it under your outer clothes. Come on! You must share this secret with me. Don't tell anybody else! But I should feel happier if I knew you were wearing it. I have a fancy it would turn even the knives of the Black Riders,' he ended in a low voice.
...'Very well, I will take it,' said Frodo. Bilbo put it on him, and fastened Sting upon the glittering belt; and then Frodo put over the top his old weather-stained breeches, tunic, and jacket....'Just a plain hobbit you look... ...But there is more about you now than appears on the surface. Good luck to you!' He turned away and looked out of the window, trying to hum a tune."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2014, 4:59pm

Post #3 of 9 (847 views)
Shortcut
The gift of Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of the amazing links between The Hobbit and LotR: for Tolkien could hardly have imagined how important this hobbit-size "armor" would become, in a later story, when he first wrote about it. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 12:56pm

Post #4 of 9 (852 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

This is quite a long post as Bilbo and Frodo have one more quiet visit. So I'm offering it in 2 parts. Here's the second as...

Today in Middle-earth.

December 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418) pt.2
1. The time has almost come to depart.
..."'I cannot thank you as I should, Bilbo... ...and for all your past kindnesses,' said Frodo.
...'Don't try!' said the old hobbit, turning round and slapping him on the back. 'Ow!' he cried. 'You are too hard now to slap! but there you are: hobbits must stick together, and especially Bagginses. All I ask in return is take as much care of yourself as you can, and bring back all the news you can, and any old songs and tales you can... ...I'll do my best to finish my book before you return. I should like to write the second book, if I am spared.' He broke off and turned to the window again singing softly.'

I sit beside the fire and think

of all that I have seen,

of meadow-flowers and butterflies

in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer

in autumns that there were,

with morning mist and silver sun

and wind upon my hair.

of how the world will be

when winter comes without a spring

that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things

that I have never seen:

in every wood in every spring

there is a different green.

of people long ago,

and people who will see a world

that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think

of times there were before,

I listen for returning feet

and voices at the door'."

(Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p.364 FotR)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 24 2014, 2:31pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 9 (870 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Company of the Ring leaves Rivendell at dusk.
(from the appendices)
..."...It was a cold grey day near the end of December... ...They were to start at dusk, for Elrond counselled them to journey under the cover of night as often as they could, until they were far from Rivendell.
...'You should fear the many eyes of the servants of Sauron,' he said. 'I do not doubt that news of the discomfiture of the Riders has already reached him, and he will be filled with wrath. Soon now his spies on foot and wing will be abroad... ...Even of the sky above you must beware as you go on your way.'
...The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon, and he went forth clad only in rusty green and brown, as a ranger of the wilderness. Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Andúril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn.
...'Loud and clear it sounds in the valleys of the hills,' he said, 'and then let all the foes of Gondor flee!' Putting it to his lips he blew a blast, and the echoes leapt from rock to rock, and all that heard that voice in Rivendell sprang to their feet.
...'Slow should you be to wind that horn again, Boromir,' said Elrond, 'until you stand once more on the borders of your land, and dire need is on you.'
...'Maybe... ...But always I have let my horn cry at setting forth, and though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night.'
...Gimli the dwarf alone wore openly a short shirt of steel-rings... ...and in his belt was a broad-bladed axe. Legolas had a bow and a quiver, and at his belt a long white knife. The younger hobbits wore the swords that they had taken from the barrow; but Frodo took only Sting; and his mail-coat, as Bilbo wished, remained hidden. Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the Elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain.
...All were well furnished by Elrond with thick warm clothes, and they had jackets and cloaks lined with fur. Spare food and clothes and blankets and other needs were laden on a pony, none other than the poor beast that they had brought from Bree.
...The stay in Rivendell had worked a great wonder... ...on him: he was glossy and seemed to have the vigour of youth. It was Sam who had insisted on choosing him, declaring that Bill (as he called him) would pine, if he did not come.
...'That animal can nearly talk... ...and would talk, if he stayed here much longer. He gave me a look as plain as Mr. Pippin could speak it: "If you don't let me go with you, Sam, I'll follow on my own."' So Bill was going as the beast of burden, yet he was the only member of the Company that did not seem depressed."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2014, 1:10pm

Post #6 of 9 (839 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 26, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship sets out.
... "…turning southwards [they] went on by narrow paths among the folded lands. Their purpose was to hold this course west of the Mountains for many miles and days. The country was much rougher and more barren than in the green vale of the great River in Wilderland on the other side of the range, and their going would be slow; but they hoped in this way to escape the notice of unfriendly eyes. The spies of Sauron had hitherto seldom been seen in this empty country... ...the paths were little known except to the people of Rivendell.
...Gandalf walked in front, and with him went Aragorn, who knew this land even in the dark. The others were in file behind, and Legolas whose eyes were keen was the rearguard."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kim
Valinor

Dec 24 2014, 6:59pm

Post #7 of 9 (853 views)
Shortcut
"I listen for returning feet and voices at the door" [In reply to] Can't Post

Too many things are making me cry these days. Unsure

#OneLastTime

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 7:06pm

Post #8 of 9 (824 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 27, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship travels the wild
..."The first part of their journey was hard and dreary, and Frodo remembered little of it, save the wind. For many sunless days an icy blast came from the Mountains in the east, and no garment seemed able to keep out its searching fingers. Though the Company was well clad, they seldom felt warm, either moving or at rest."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 27 2014, 7:06pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 27 2014, 7:08pm

Post #9 of 9 (856 views)
Shortcut
*hug* Me too, Kim :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.