Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So who's decision was the 3 movie split?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 3:50pm

Post #1 of 38 (1213 views)
Shortcut
So who's decision was the 3 movie split? Can't Post

I was reading some BOFA interviews and this quote is quite telling:

I went into it very unprepared. Because Guillermo [Del Toro, the original director] had 18 months of prep, and he couldn’t do the films and I took them over and I only had six months of prep. I didn’t have time to highlight any storyboards, and then it was just suddenly dumped into three movies.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...to-middle-earth.html

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 38 (781 views)
Shortcut
It was Peter Jackson and co's idea [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a creative decision.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 4:04pm

Post #3 of 38 (683 views)
Shortcut
It was purely creative [In reply to] Can't Post

If you watch the BtS features for The Desolation of Smaug and/or listen to Peter and Phillipa's commentary, it becomes readily apparent that there wasn't all that much material that needed to be added in order to expand what was originally the Hobbit duology into a trilogy, meaning that, creatively, so much material had been generated for An Unexpected Journey and There and Back Again that a number of things that appear in both the Theatrical and Extended Edition cuts would likely have been trimmed and gone unused/unseen had the original plan of only two films been adhered to.

tsmith675
Gondor

Post #4 of 38 (714 views)
Shortcut
There's no doubt in my mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

That it was the studio's decision.

DjU
Lorien

Post #5 of 38 (687 views)
Shortcut
PJ's decision [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was reading some BOFA interviews and this quote is quite telling:

I went into it very unprepared. Because Guillermo [Del Toro, the original director] had 18 months of prep, and he couldn’t do the films and I took them over and I only had six months of prep. I didn’t have time to highlight any storyboards, and then it was just suddenly dumped into three movies.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...to-middle-earth.html

If you think that is quite telling then you are probably massively over reading into the quote.

It is a retrospective interview made nearly 3 years after the decision to split was made, its very likely he merely misspoke - it has ultimately been a three film project for the last three years.

Also if you a trying to use that quote to intimate that it was three films all along then why did the studio spend the best part of two years happily saying it was two... and we know extensively from all the production info that it was always filmed as two films for the first 3/4 or so of the shoot.

PJ has been quite happily on the record in saying that it was him and Fran and PB that decided on the later decision to split.

Fleuz
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 4:06pm

Post #6 of 38 (708 views)
Shortcut
Not so sure [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ would have done two films, each one would have had a duration of strong 180+ minutes.

So it's possible the studio said they want films under 170 minutes. Better 2 1/2 h. So PJ made an offer to do three.

No one here knows for sure.

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 4:11pm

Post #7 of 38 (683 views)
Shortcut
I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was definitely not the studio's decision.

It's such an easy copout to sit back and say 'it was obviously the studio's decision' but if you have actually been following the situation as closely as a lot of us have, and you actually know and understand how PJ and co are and how they work, it is incredibly obvious what happened. Painfully obvious. It is so ludicrous, and the claim is ignorant that it was the studio's decision. Unfortunately it is easy for an outsider to assume it was just a cash grab,.
Say what you want about three films being a right or wrong decision creatively, but it was PJ and co's idea.

(This post was edited by Lindele on Dec 22 2014, 4:17pm)

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 4:12pm

Post #8 of 38 (662 views)
Shortcut
Re: There is no doubt in my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said above, there is ample evidence indicating that It was a purely creative decision driven by the incredible amount of material that was written into the scripts and shot during the initial Production phase.

In Reply To
That it was the studio's decision.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:37pm

Post #9 of 38 (578 views)
Shortcut
PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

We landed on the moon too.

Sly

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 22 2014, 4:50pm)

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 4:42pm

Post #10 of 38 (599 views)
Shortcut
Ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

However, the Kili/Tauriel-romance was studio interference, right?

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 4:46pm

Post #11 of 38 (573 views)
Shortcut
That, I don't know, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it was also PJ and co's idea.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 4:48pm

Post #12 of 38 (603 views)
Shortcut
Definitely not PJ's idea [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 4:51pm

Post #13 of 38 (603 views)
Shortcut
Evangeline Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

But didn´t Evangeline Lilly say that when she was cast they promised she wouldn´t end up being in another love triangle? Did they lie to her?
Though, I can´t blame Kili for trying . Tauriel is gorgeous!

(This post was edited by Danielos on Dec 22 2014, 4:54pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:53pm

Post #14 of 38 (562 views)
Shortcut
It was always there. [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3 film split added the Legolas side of the triangle, but Kili/Tauriel was always in the script.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

RabidWolverine

Dec 22 2014, 4:53pm

Post #15 of 38 (549 views)
Shortcut
Almost certainly... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fran & Philippa's idea and PJ agreed/deferred.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:55pm

Post #16 of 38 (582 views)
Shortcut
The triangle was added... [In reply to] Can't Post

But the Kili/Tauriel love story was always there.

- Viggo Mortensen

RabidWolverine

Dec 22 2014, 4:55pm

Post #17 of 38 (547 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't point to the resource, but I am 100% certain that Philippa has said so herself.

(This post was edited by RabidWolverine on Dec 22 2014, 4:56pm)

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 4:59pm

Post #18 of 38 (570 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel isnt involved in a love triangle [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas clearly does feel for Tauriel what she feels for Kili (romantic love/attraction), but a love triangle is when you have three persons expressing requited feelings and the person 'caught in the middle' being torn between their feelings for one person vs. their feelings for the other person.

Legolas' romantic love for and interest in Tauriel goes largely unexpressed and is clearly unrequited.

(This post was edited by DigificWriter on Dec 22 2014, 5:01pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 5:10pm

Post #19 of 38 (537 views)
Shortcut
Why does it matter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does it matter who's decision it was?Unimpressed

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 5:19pm

Post #20 of 38 (520 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

if it was the studio's decision, it was all about money. If it was PJ's decision, it was about the integrity of the movies.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 5:28pm

Post #21 of 38 (487 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a collaborative decision obviously. There were money reasons, there were story reasons etc.

Honestly Im glad they did. There is no way they could have done the in depth characterization they did with Thorin in a 2 movie split and keep the essential elements of the movie together without it being shallow and lacking. But that's just my view.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 6:00pm

Post #22 of 38 (483 views)
Shortcut
Ya, I get the impression that PJ was never a big fan of that [In reply to] Can't Post

I find that PJ's stuff has been mostly gold in this trilogy. For me, Boyens writing her own material or focusing on her favorite characters are when the movies (not just the Hobbit) tend to get a little irritating for the book fan in me.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 6:06pm

Post #23 of 38 (452 views)
Shortcut
It was driven far more by creative concerns... [In reply to] Can't Post

... than money given the sheer amount of material that is in the films that was shot during Principal photography.

At least 3/4 of the content of all 3 films for both the Theatrical and Extended Edition cuts was, I believe, shot during the initial phase of filming from 2011-2012.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 6:38pm

Post #24 of 38 (444 views)
Shortcut
Are we all even talking about the same 3 films? [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, three films came up early, but it was initially to be two Hobbits and a bridge film. Then it later became 3 Hobbit films.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 6:55pm

Post #25 of 38 (413 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they knew there was enough material from a creative standpoint and also that it would make money in doing so. But I agree. They material was definitely shot up front which makes your point.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.