The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
the movie is in fact in par to ROTK in terms of tension

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 11:19am

Post #1 of 23 (823 views)
Shortcut
the movie is in fact in par to ROTK in terms of tension Can't Post

I was watching it a second time, the first one was in a marathon and I admit I was a bit exausted, it all happened like in a dream. Now I have time to watch it carefully, and the battle is wide, fearsome and emocionanteXD.

I had same feelings like in Minas Tirith. The movie is good, no wonder to be a lesser film.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 23 (446 views)
Shortcut
Um....no..... [In reply to] Can't Post

The stakes of Pelennor were WAY higher. The Battle for the Lonely Mountain revolved around the question of a strategic point, the Battle of Minas Tirith revolved around the fate of all Middle Earth. ROTK was way better....BOTFA was good, but ROTK blows it out of the water. I can't really say that I am surprised though, ROTK is arguably the best movie ever filmed, the laws of probability state that chances are it can only get worse. ;)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 3:38pm

Post #3 of 23 (411 views)
Shortcut
humble opinions...humble opinions everywere [In reply to] Can't Post

every one has their points and tastes

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 3:45pm

Post #4 of 23 (404 views)
Shortcut
The movie is in fact in par to ROTK in terms of tension [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely agree with you having just come back from a third viewing. The visuals are also way better than those in RotK – as is much of the acting and characterisation, in my opinion. Each time I see the film I see so much more in it.

Now I'm just waiting for the EE, which will be the most anticipated one out of the lot for me.

Oh, and those horns were SPECTACULAR.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 3:49pm

Post #5 of 23 (390 views)
Shortcut
I can only speak for myself [In reply to] Can't Post

It is absolutely on par with ROTK for me but even moreso Fellowship which was my favorite of the six movies. It's right up there with Fellowship for me. As an ending movie, I liked it better really than ROTK as I felt the acting and character moments, especially between Bilbo and Thorin, were stronger than those in ROTK.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 3:49pm

Post #6 of 23 (390 views)
Shortcut
Eh... [In reply to] Can't Post

When BOT5A wins 11 Academy Awards then you can tell me that it's just as tense as ROTK. That's not an opinion. ;)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 3:51pm

Post #7 of 23 (384 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I dont give a heck for the oscars [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 3:57pm

Post #8 of 23 (376 views)
Shortcut
Me either [In reply to] Can't Post

It's about what you liked personally. I could give a rip about awards. I don't even watch the awards show. I'm with Marlon Brando on the Oscars...

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Dec 22 2014, 3:59pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 4:05pm

Post #9 of 23 (366 views)
Shortcut
Thirded [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm certainly with you there.Wink

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 4:12pm

Post #10 of 23 (356 views)
Shortcut
The Oscars.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...mean a WHOLE lot more than the obscure opinions of a few ringers.... I love BOT5A, but saying that it's on par with ROTK? Just no.....The Hobbit book itself doesn't rival the Lord of the Rings..

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 4:20pm

Post #11 of 23 (343 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps to you [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to me – just the same as I don't give a stuff about the opinions of 'critics' and prefer to form my own opinions about films. The Oscars went to RotK (not, in my view, the best of the LotR films) because LotR could hardly be ignored given the massive acclaim by audiences, of something that had never been done before.

I find many films that are given Oscars to be standard 'Oscar fodder' and not films that I would classify as great and deserving at all.

In Reply To
The Oscars mean a WHOLE lot more than the obscure opinions of a few ringers.... I love BOT5A, but saying that it's on par with ROTK? Just no.....The Hobbit book itself doesn't rival the Lord of the Rings..

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 4:31pm

Post #12 of 23 (333 views)
Shortcut
True.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but still....I think to compare this movie to ROTK would be downright stupidity....ROTK was longer, had a better storyline (so did the book, so that's not PJ's fault), has higher stakes, the visual effects weren't overused but when used they were polished, the battle itself was more coherent and less sloppy, and the music was much more invigorating. There is no comparison. Granted I don't think BOT5A is bad, it's quite good, but you can't compare a 7.5/10 movie to a 10/10 movie. AUJ was the best Hobbit film IMO, felt the most comparable to LOTR.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:34pm

Post #13 of 23 (318 views)
Shortcut
I agree with the conclusion, personally. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't see what Oscars have to do with it. They aren't a mark of tension.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:36pm

Post #14 of 23 (317 views)
Shortcut
stupidity? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 4:36pm

Post #15 of 23 (311 views)
Shortcut
While I don't necessarily disagree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

that ROTK is a much better film, there is no point in basing ROTK's quality on a politically driven joke of an awards ceremony. I think it is amazing that ROTK won 11 oscars...and it totally deserved them. But the Oscars are a joke.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:47pm

Post #16 of 23 (320 views)
Shortcut
The Oscars [In reply to] Can't Post

Are an insider game. Period. They are nominated and given out by members of the Academy which is comprised largely of males over the age of 50 who are white. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not a diverse group of people overall.

The Oscars are also very much politically charged and motivated. Studios and agents spend tons of money to be sure getting their people and films nominated but it's all about the money and who likes whom. It's not necessarily about "quality".

All you can really say about the Oscars is it's a popularity contest. Pretty much. This is why I don't care nor do I watch them. Why should I? I just enjoy the films. I dont give two rats what someone else thinks of Richard Armitage or Martin Freeman or Ian McKellan or Peter Jackson. I am not related to them so what other people think means nothing to me. Let them do their self congratulatory awards. I just look at the film and decide if I enjoy it.

I can only speak for myself and for me this film was up there not only with ROTK but also Fellowship. And thank God it didn't have a 45 minute ending. My bladder couldn't take it.

As for awards, was Martin Freeman less of an accomplished actor before he won an Emmy for Sherlock? Is Benedict Cumberbatch not as good an actor as someone else if he's not nominated or doesn't win an Oscar this year? is Alfred Hitchcock a terrible director because he never won an Oscar???

No. There are plenty of highly acclaimed films, actors and directors who never won an Oscar. Case in point: The Color Purple. Was it a lesser film because it never one a single Oscar? Um. No.

Brando was right. It's a meat parade.

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Dec 22 2014, 4:52pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 4:54pm

Post #17 of 23 (307 views)
Shortcut
The posting was about TENSION not which film is better. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there was intensity in this film that in my opinion was felt by the audience and delivered the emotional impact.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 5:08pm

Post #18 of 23 (289 views)
Shortcut
Yes, agree, Ham-Sammy [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I do think BoFA could have had, say, at least another 20 minutes without seeming overly long at all (which I wouldn't say for AUJ).

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 5:15pm

Post #19 of 23 (277 views)
Shortcut
Yes I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I just didn't need an overly long ending. But yes I do agree there are additions I would like to have seen as well.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2014, 6:08pm

Post #20 of 23 (255 views)
Shortcut
tense [In reply to] Can't Post

I must have forgotten there was a "Tension" category in the Oscars.

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 22 2014, 7:40pm

Post #21 of 23 (229 views)
Shortcut
Fans [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, Tolkien fans have very intense opinions, especially on films.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 8:17pm

Post #22 of 23 (222 views)
Shortcut
the stakes [In reply to] Can't Post

The stakes of Pelennor were WAY higher. The Battle for the Lonely Mountain revolved around the question of a strategic point, the Battle of Minas Tirith revolved around the fate of all Middle Earth.

I find the stakes are what the POV determines them to be. To the enemy, BOFA was about strategic position, according to Gandalf.

But to Thorin and co. it was about defending their newly recovered home, not about strategic position.

For Laketown the stakes at first were about recovering from loss of their homes. It evolved to: existential survival as the townsfolk tried to withstand the attack on Dale.

For Mirkwood, it started as personal to Thranduil, but it evolved into helping to save the other Free Peoples against annihilation, as it was for Dain/Iron Hills.

During ROTK, the Minas T Siege and Pelennor battles were about the fate of all M-E, true. But to the individuals, Gondorian soldiers and civilians alike, and the Rohirrim who joined the fray, it was about their survival.

So, we disagree about what the stakes were in BOTFA. You say it was a strategic point, i say it depends on any given character's or faction's POV.

I found the tension in BOFA similar to the tension I felt in TTT Helms Deep. The build up and the reminders that women and children, and characters we had been following, might die horribly, I found comparable to what I found in TTT.

Same with the ROTK battles. My extrinsic knowledge about the difference in stakes in a broader sense for all of M-E didn't take away from that. For me subjectively, ROTK was brilliant but didn't necessarily blow BOTFA out of the water in terms of tension. I found them comparable.

Btw, ROTK has been my favorite of all the first five films. I'm still deciding how I rank the sixth compared with the rest, but its going to be up there toward the top. I've only seen it once so far, mind.

Things overheard during games of chess in Middle-earth:

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Kim
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 5:47am

Post #23 of 23 (196 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember on my first viewing of ROTK, I was pretty much tense the whole way through, mostly because I was afraid more members of the Fellowship would die (hadn't read the end of the book at that point), and didn't start to relax until Aragorn's coronation. With BOFA, I felt the same level of tension, but instead it was because I knew the dwarves would die, but didn't know exactly when or how, so was just waiting for it to happen. And I would say BOFA is very well done overall, but just leaves me feeling sad at the end, unlike ROTK.

#OneLastTime

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.