The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Love the beginning of BOFA/Bard/Bain

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 7:56am

Post #1 of 17 (744 views)
Shortcut
Love the beginning of BOFA/Bard/Bain Can't Post

So, my third view of BOFA and in Xtreme DIGITAL HFR 3D, and now I am able to focus more -

OMG. The Laketown scene IMO is so spectacular, especially when you feel immersed. Am so impressed with the flames, the feeling of height, with Smaug.

And also want to say how impressed I am with Luke Evans in BOFA. IMO he dug down deep re BOFA - great nuances of expression and voice. His scene with Thorin and with Bain are highlights for me plus his capacity for humor.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2014, 8:02am

Post #2 of 17 (458 views)
Shortcut
great stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw it, all I could really think was "that went by too quickly." I was able to truly appreciate it the next two times I saw it. When I first heard that Bard used Bain's shoulder to steady the black arrow, I thought that sounded really silly. But it ended up being one of my favorite scenes. I think it's one of those great moments where the acting, directing, music, and editing all come together rather perfectly to create something special. Something that I honestly think didn't happen as often in The Hobbit as it did in The Lord of the Rings.

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 9:41am

Post #3 of 17 (400 views)
Shortcut
I loved that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVED the moment between Bain and Bard when he's aiming at Smaug coming towards them and Bain is so terrified. Amazing scene. Great acting.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 9:52am

Post #4 of 17 (384 views)
Shortcut
Me, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Look at me" - great moment.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 9:53am

Post #5 of 17 (396 views)
Shortcut
Avandel...XTreme HDHFR3D is the Only way Bom will see a movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Anymore...SPOILED Rotten..
Last Monday @ The Marathon..
Going tomorrow again...Same Theater.

Luckily, "Cinemark" has 100's of Theaters in the USA with it.
Go out of YOUR WAY to seek one OUT!

Example: The ElvenKING's Hall's looked SSOoo..
DEEEEP....The distance looked like it was Almost endless.

Bom, decided to wait a WEEK SSOoo.
Now will be able to look for all the Geeky
Observations everyone has been writing about!
...Like the "Exhausted Rhosobel Rabbit"...

PJ saw it that WAY, @ one time, &
HIGHLY endorsed it.

Being old,
Bomby getzz Senior discounts TOO!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 11:03am

Post #6 of 17 (371 views)
Shortcut
It's fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I've already mentioned, the whole thing reminds me of the Great Fire of London. The bell is a great touch. Smaug is out of this world gorgeous, and Bard and Bain work so well in this part of the film. Wonderful stuff!

Going again in about an hour (IMAX 3D again, rather than 48 HFR because of timing). Will see it again soon in 48 HFR with my sister and b-i-l.Smile

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 11:53am

Post #7 of 17 (362 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it truly extraordinary? [In reply to] Can't Post

And extremely moving too?
I agree totally with you about that whole beginning.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 4:13pm

Post #8 of 17 (313 views)
Shortcut
Extraordinary - oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even the use of sound, or non-use of it. Because there is Smaug, and all these roaring flames, and then we see a terrified Bain trusting his father "you look at me" and Bard's face and voice - OMG and the way the sound is done, we just see this monstrous shadow of Smaug behind Bain and the sound of everything is more muted except for Bard's voice becoming the focal point.

Didn't expect a scene from Bard that would be a stab to the heart - in a good way.HeartHeartHeart

Plus the whole bit with the Master and Alfrid fleeing LOL poor Alfrid.Cool That's really terrible of the Master when I think about it....Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:28pm

Post #9 of 17 (278 views)
Shortcut
Think I agree with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Cinemark theater - and while the screen is smaller than my favorite huge IMAX, I don't know that is matters in that I like to sit close. There seems to be a crystal clarity to the view which I think I am not getting from IMAX, probably because the IMAX is just too big to get razor-sharp resolution.

And BTW at the Cinemark they showed RA's narrative of the NZ commercial, made me want to hop a plane.Heart

And Cinemark's popcorn is better. The popcorn I had at the IMAX was disgusting - stale and burnt.Mad

IMO BOFA deserves the best theater one can afford, and watching these films in a great theater really helps me appreciate what PJ is trying to do with technology. I felt as though I was actually in Laketown.Heart

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 5:31pm

Post #10 of 17 (291 views)
Shortcut
My favorite opening ever, right up there with Gandalf fighting the Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

I was mesmerized by the whole opening (3D/HFR) It was stunningly gorgeous and breathtakingly immersive.

Bard/Bain and 'look at me" was perfect.

Unfortunately I am not able to see it again today, I'm a little under the weather and don't know when I'll get out to see it again - might not be till next week now.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:33pm

Post #11 of 17 (278 views)
Shortcut
very special [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard, Bain, the desperation in Bard's voice, the burning cinders and the buildings crumbling under Smaug, the way Smaug flicks out that blackened tongue....HeartHeartHeart

I'm gonna regret (again) not being rich and being able to afford my own home 3-D theater. Maybe one day!Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:34pm

Post #12 of 17 (278 views)
Shortcut
Feel better! [In reply to] Can't Post

After the holiday madness, you can go see it again!WinkTongueCool

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 5:48pm

Post #13 of 17 (268 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I already checked the movie times [In reply to] Can't Post

and will close out the year with a least one more viewing!

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 6:02pm

Post #14 of 17 (275 views)
Shortcut
John Bell is really a great actor [In reply to] Can't Post

He's gonna be something special I think! Him, Evans, and Cumberbatch delivered quite a performance for the killing (of you-know-who) scene.

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Dec 22 2014, 6:03pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 11:12pm

Post #15 of 17 (229 views)
Shortcut
Terrific scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Bell, Evans and Cumberbatch were totally awesome. I'm glad they had Smaug taunting and talking to Bard. It gave the scene more gravity. That and the bell ringing throughout the first part of that whole sequence was just really well done. I enjoyed it.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 8:08am

Post #16 of 17 (201 views)
Shortcut
Didn't manage to notice all this [In reply to] Can't Post

in my first viewing Blush, but next time I'll pay attention to all that you mention, for sure, thanks to you!!!! Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 23 2014, 7:45pm

Post #17 of 17 (190 views)
Shortcut
loved the taunting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope we get more of Smaug destroying laketown in the EE, it's just so awesome! More grandstanding dragon please!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.