The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I have a question

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 4:57am

Post #1 of 8 (706 views)
Shortcut
I have a question Can't Post

I was wondering something: would people be willing to help me compile an in-universe timeline for Middle-earth as depicted solely in Peter Jackson's filmic Saga?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 11:23am

Post #2 of 8 (587 views)
Shortcut
My take... [In reply to] Can't Post

I started something like this some while ago. Here is the thread: http://newboards.theonering.net/...ing=timeline;#270056

I hope that you find it useful, although it would need some revisions in light of the newer films.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 22 2014, 11:25am)

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 12:49pm

Post #3 of 8 (560 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link. What do you see as needing to be revised from what you had?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 12:58pm

Post #4 of 8 (562 views)
Shortcut
Details... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thanks for the link. What do you see as needing to be revised from what you had?

One might want to modify the entry for 2940 (for example) to better reflect the events of the films. However, the entry might suffice as written.

Peter Jackson's history of Angmar and the Ringwraiths is very different from Tolkien's, although details are sketchy.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 22 2014, 1:00pm)

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 1:07pm

Post #5 of 8 (555 views)
Shortcut
I'm rather clueless.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... when it comes to figuring out Tolkien's numbering system, so would you mind helping me add in the fuller History of Middle-earth beyond just the alternate dates that Jackson established? I think it'd be nice to have a complete timeline, if only for the "nerd factor".

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 1:15pm

Post #6 of 8 (581 views)
Shortcut
Probably not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don' t think that I can squeeze in enough time to devote a lot of effort towards your project. I could certainly try to address specific questions. Useful resources for understanding Tolkien's chronology would include Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth; The Complete Tolkien Companion by J.E.A. Tyler; and Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle-earth.

The Hobbit Chronicles books from Weta are invaluable for understanding the background of the films.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 2:41pm

Post #7 of 8 (494 views)
Shortcut
Revising My Film Timeline [In reply to] Can't Post

Some changes are made to make the timeline more consistant with Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies. I am assuming that Aragorn turned 87 in March of 3002. Jackson makes the Watchful Peace the 400-year period before the Quest of Erebor and ties it to the fall of the kingdom of Angmar. He also indicates that Thorin Oakenshield is younger than Balin; I have made Thorin 20 years younger and have moved the Sack of Erebor forward in time appropriately. The year of the Battle of Moria (Azanulbizar) remains the same.

Years are given as Third Age (TA).

87 Birth of Legolas of Mirkwood (according to LOTR film guidebook; Tolkien never provided a year of birth for Legolas).
241 Birth of Arwen, daughter of Elrond and Celebrian (according to Tolkien).
2543 Angmar falls with the defeat of the Witch-king and the rest of the Nazgul. The beginning of the Watchful Peace.
2640 Rough estimate for the birth of Tauriel.
2766 Thorin (II) Oakenshield born.
2790 The Sack of Esgaroth; the dragon Smaug occupies the Lonely Mountain.
2799 The Battle of Moria. King Thor is beheaded by Azog the Defiler; Thrain II is lost and presumed dead.
2879 Birth of Gimli, son of Glóin (according to Tolkien).
2889 Birth of Bilbo Baggins.
2913 Birth of Denethor II in Minas Tirith.
2915 Aragorn son of Arathorn II and Gilraen is born on March 1st.
2917 Arathorn II slain. Gilraen takes Aragorn to Imladris (Rivendell). Elrond raises him as foster-son and gives him the name Estel (Hope). Aragorn's ancestry is concealed.
2931 Théoden son of Thengel, King of Rohan, is born.
2935 Aragorn turns twenty. He mets Arwen for the first time in the woods outside Rivendell. Elrond reveals to him his lineage. Aragorn goes off into the Wild.
2940 The Watchful Peace ends. Aragorn meets Gandalf the Grey and their friendship begins. Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. The White Council meets in Rivendell. Bilbo finds the One Ring. Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur in Southern Mirkwood. The Necromancer abandons Dol Guldur for Mordor. The Battle of Five Armies.
2941 Bilbo returns to the Shire with the One Ring. Aragorn begins the period of his great journeys and errantries.
2948 Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo in the Shire.
2950 Sauron declares himself openly in Mordor.
2952 Last meeting of the White Council. Saruman claims that the One Ring has passed down the Anduin to the Sea.
2953 Mount Doom bursts into flame again.
2959 Denethor weds Finduilas of Dol Amroth.
2961 Birth of Boromir son of Denethor II.
2962 Samwise Gamgee is born.
2963 Théoden becomes King of Rohan.
2964 Meriadoc Brandybuck is born. Aragorn enters Lothlórien and is reunited with Arwen.
2966 Birth of Faramir son of Denethor.
2967 Frodo Baggins is born to Drogo and Primula Baggins on September 22nd. Death of Ecthelion II. Denethor II becomes Steward of Gondor.
2972 Peregrin Took is born.
2974 Éomer Éomund's son born in Rohan.
2976 Bain son of Bard becomes King of Dale.
2978 Éowyn sister of Éomer born.
2979 Frodo is orphaned by the deaths of his parents and is invited to live in Bag End by Bilbo.
2988 Balin leaves Erebor and enters Moria.
2993 Balin perishes and the Dwarf-colony is destroyed.
2999 Saruman uses the palantir of Orthanc and is ensnared by Sauron who has the Ithil Stone.
3000 Bilbo celebrates his 111th birthday on September 22nd. Gandalf begins researching Bilbo's Ring (these events occur in year 3001 in Tolkien's timeline).
3001 Bilbo becomes a guest of Elrond and settles in Rivendell. Gandalf returns to Hobbiton. Frodo takes the Ring from the Shire in late summer or early fall accompanied by Samwise, Merry and Pippin. The Fellowship sets out from Rivendell near year's end (these events occur in year 3018 in Tolkien's timeline).
3002 The Pass of Caradhras through the Crowning of King Elessar (these events occur in year 3019 in Tolkien's timeline).
- January 11, 12 Snow on Caradhras.
- January 13 The Company reaches Moria.
- January 15 The Bridge of Khazad-dûm, Gandalf falls. The Company reaches Lothlórien.
- February 14 The Mirror of Galadriel.
- February 16 The Fellowship departs Lothlórien.
- February 26 Breaking of the Fellowship. Death of Boromir. The persuit of the Orcs begins.
- February 29 Merry and Pippin escape the Orcs and meet Treebeard.
- February 30 Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meet Éomer.
- March 1 Aragorn meets Gandalf the White.
- March 2 Gandalf comes to Edoras and heals Théoden.
- March 3 Théoden retreats to Helm's Deep. Battle of the Hornburg begins.
- March 5 Parley at Isengard. Gandalf with Pippin sets out for Minas Tirith.
- March 12 Gollum leads Frodo into Shelob's lair.
- March 15 Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
- March 25 Frodo reaches the Cracks of Doom. Downfall of Sauron. End of the Third Age.
- May 1 Crowning of King Elessar.
3003 Sam marries Rose on May 1st.
3005 The Ringbearers depart from Middle-earth. Beginning of the Fourth Age.

Paraphrasing J.E.A. Tyler in his book The Complete Tolkien Companion, for the purposes of record-keeping, the Fourth Age would have officially begun (in the New Reckoning of the Reunited Kingdom) on the anniversary of Sauron's fall, being the equivalent of March 25th, 3003 in the above timeline.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 3:23pm

Post #8 of 8 (521 views)
Shortcut
More Changes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just reminded that Thorin Oakenshield is supposed to be younger than Dwalin in the film continuity. So:

2772 Thorin (II) Oakenshield born Dwalin's birthyear moved to 2766).
2795 The Sack of Esgaroth; the dragon Smaug occupies the Lonely Mountain.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.