Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Curious Case of the Chain-Eyed Troll...

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 2:06am

Post #1 of 16 (2867 views)
Shortcut
The Curious Case of the Chain-Eyed Troll... Can't Post

So, as Peter said, we have these trolls who have been maimed with weapons built into their bodies for the purpose of making them more battle-efficient. One of these trolls is a particularly brutish beast, with his arms replaced with giant morning-star flails, his legs replaced with giant metal stilts with spiked spheres on the bottom, and his eyes gored out with chains running through the sockets. This troll can be seen briefly fighting in the midst of the fray and then attacking Legolas on Ravenhill.

Now, let me reiterate, this creature is completely blind, and literally has no way to get back on its feet should it fall over, since of course, it has no bendable knees or arms. Will someone explain to me, how this blind, practically lame creature, could single-handedly scale the steep precipices of Ravenhill and then selectively choose to attack the specific tower upon which Legolas stood?

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 2:32am

Post #2 of 16 (2438 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure he has no eyes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you sure he has no eyes?

deskp
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 2:36am

Post #3 of 16 (2431 views)
Shortcut
hm [In reply to] Can't Post

The concept art shows he has a rider on him, holding on the eye chains.

Well I really dislike this creature, so stupid.

Merovech
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 2:36am

Post #4 of 16 (2448 views)
Shortcut
It's a completely OTT Jacksonism. [In reply to] Can't Post

Applying any logic to it is pointless.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 2:50am

Post #5 of 16 (2428 views)
Shortcut
In the movie.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it clear this maimed troll has no eyes?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 3:00am

Post #6 of 16 (2400 views)
Shortcut
the troll has no eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

i've seen the film three times now.

The flames of war are upon you..

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2014, 3:17am

Post #7 of 16 (2364 views)
Shortcut
Airlifted in by a team of cargo bats? [In reply to] Can't Post

It worked for Legolas.

Evil

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 3:27am

Post #8 of 16 (2353 views)
Shortcut
agree with deskp [In reply to] Can't Post

There are chains through its eyes, and it sort of looks like Leggy is "steering" it for a bit. Probably there was an orc or something there before to get it up to Ravenhill. Not the most efficient form of travel to be sure.

Eurolock
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 4:00am

Post #9 of 16 (2366 views)
Shortcut
This was ridiculous in so many ways... [In reply to] Can't Post

A 'steerable' troll, seemingly the only troll on Ravenhill, just happens to be right beneath Legolas' tower....how very convenient.

Just like finding 4 rams in the middle of a pitched battle....

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:24am

Post #10 of 16 (2319 views)
Shortcut
i think only smaug could airlift that huge troll [In reply to] Can't Post

Remus
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 9:11am

Post #11 of 16 (2254 views)
Shortcut
I dont like it [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont like it at all... Just have to live with it... Maybe changed arms/hands... But legs too? And chains into the eyes? No... Looks like they tortured the poor fellow and he espaced the dungeons.... lol.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 9:18am

Post #12 of 16 (2270 views)
Shortcut
it was one of those ideas i bet they were like ... [In reply to] Can't Post

"this is way cool!" and they never thought about the realism/believability of such a creature.

Mcoull
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 1:40pm

Post #13 of 16 (2170 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a fan of the design- why cutting the legs off a troll and replacing them with much thinner, weaker poles seemed like a good idea, who knows. How does it even walk on those things, never mind walk all the way up to Ravenhill.
My real problem with it though comes with how easy to is for Legolas to kill. Think of the threat of the Cave Troll in Fellowship- it took Legolas an the Hobbits to take it down, after it had stabbed Frodo and caused all sorts of chaos, this one is so easy for Legolas to kill (just as everything evil in these films apart from maybe Azog, Bolg and Smaug is extremely easy to kill or knock down). Another reason I try to keep these trilogies separate in my mind.

(This post was edited by Mcoull on Dec 22 2014, 1:41pm)

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 3:50pm

Post #14 of 16 (2135 views)
Shortcut
Exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

And bear in mind this thing is like 3 times as big as the cave troll...

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 4:28pm

Post #15 of 16 (2141 views)
Shortcut
I'm not a fan of that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so much because of the improbability of what is depicted, but because of the extremely disturbing imagery present there. I'm very sensitive towards animal abuse, so much I feel genuine pity for fictional beasts, even for the "baddies" (remember the cave troll from FOTR?).

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 5:55pm

Post #16 of 16 (2126 views)
Shortcut
I kinda feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

The implication of what was done to that troll, and the fact that it's played for laughs more than anything makes it doubly disturbing. It feels like a very mean-spirited and tasteless joke.

Don't get me wrong, I love and admire Peter Jackson for his work on these films, but sometimes it feels like he has a psychopath's sense of humor. Crazy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.